Favourite Blu-ray review sites?

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Now that I'm about to get into Blu-ray, I was wondering what people's favourite review sites are. Personally, I enjoy reading the reviews at two in particular:

DVDFile.com and blu-ray.com, mainly because both of which feature separate sections within each review to talk specifically about the video quality and the audio quality. And each of these sites give separate ratings for the video quality, the audio quality, the extras, and the overall value or the bottom line. Blu-ray.com also gives their rating for the movie as a whole (the story, the acting, the special effects, the directing, etc.)

Personally, I'd love to see a review site that featured a search option that allowed the user to browse through all the reviews that feature a four-or-more-stars rating (or whatever number of stars is selected) on the video or on the audio. That'd be kinda cool.

So what reviews sites do you really like?

cheers,
supervij

S

Scarriere

Junior Audioholic
hometheatermag.com has good reviews of blu ray discs. Corey Gunnestad's review of "Pineapple Express" made me laugh.
ultimateavmag.com have honest reviews as well.
They review both the technical and the movie itself.
There's also some good good writers on this site. The dude who reviewed " V for Vendetta" did a great job.
Happy hunting!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Blu-ray.com is good, but I tend to check High Def Digest more often. Blu-ray has more reviews and they tend to be earlier with many of them. I don't use it, but I understand this one is good too:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
I use to hang out on the forums for Blu-ray.com, but got banned after I called out a fellow member for comparing the loyal following of the BD format to that of the 3rd Reich. One of the moderators told me I was out of line, and when I asked why he didn’t consider the other guy out of line, he told me I was being argumentative. There were about 5 members on there that could say/do anything they wanted, and if anyone dared oppose them, they would be admonished, suspended or banned.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
www.dvdverdict.com

Great because they focus a lot on movie quality, as well as PQ and AQ. I generally trust that place for blind buys b/c their reviewers tend to be spot on.

In my opinion, it's just as important for a movie to actually be worth watching as it is for the PQ and AQ to be excellent.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Every site uses different reviewers; so different verdicts from different tastes and different equipment, different displays and different setups.

In the end, the best site is my own home. And the best reviewer is myself, on my own equipment and display, with my own tastes and critics. :)

And I'm good at it too. It helps that I sudied Cinema History and Photography at school. And I used to be a projectionist too. And I made my own film too.

You take a little bit from each reviewer to give you an idea from the transfer and extras, but you have to be very objective on your readings.
Many reviewers know nothing about cinematography and camera work. Same for properly and realistic audio sountracks.
There is more to Film than just a score number and special effects with CGI, and extra features where you learn something intelligent and valuable.

Most of the diferent reviews on most sites don't look at it as a Cinema Art form, but at a new technology with gimmick special effects and all that is superficial.
And the messages of films are very personal according to our own sensibilities, dispositions and comfort zones.

My own personal taste about "Coloring" is Natural colors and lights, but not everyone like a realistic looking picture. The majority of movies nowadays are altered in their colors, lights, contrast, CGI, volume levels unrealistic, effects that don't match the picture, etc., etc., etc.

I do read many reviews, but to be very honest here, I'll say that I trust more my own judgement.

Regards,

Bob

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis