favorite stereo preamp?

M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
This site has a recommended list for home theater oriented equipment, but not stereo stuff. I just moved, and it really makes sense to have a two channel setup in the living room.

I currently have a benchmark dac going directly to 2 outlaw mono block amps, which is nice. I would like to have a remote control for volume control and source switching though (although I feel it is snobbier to eschew these niceties). Any suggestions for a reasonably priced stereo preamp (<1000)?

Some locally available stereo preamps to audition are adcom, and ayre (and anything else in columbus, oh).

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Rotel makes some nice preamps. I'm not sure what they run, but I'd also suggest that you look into the B&K Ref 5 S2.

Other brands:

NAD
Bryston (used)
Parasound

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but they're all good options.

The parasound looks dead sexy. Check out the back panel...it even has the external loop if you want to use a high-quality EQ!

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
MacManNM said:
Forget all of that junk.

http://cgi.ebay.com/McIntosh-C31V-Audio-Video-Control-Center-Excellent-cond_W0QQitemZ5795960800QQcategoryZ71566QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It doesn't have a remote but it will last forever, and the sonic quality is outstanding. You will not find anyhing that compares to this for 3x the price in the new equipment market.

Uhhh. OK. Everyone has their favorites. McIntosh is great, but there are plenty of other great compnies too. Of course, everyone (including me) usually favors what they have.

For a tube based pre-amp, I use the EAR 864.

For a solid state pre-amp I use the Classe Omega MKIII.

I also like the preamp from Meridian and the ones form Pass Labs.

El Toro

El Toro

Audioholic Intern
I saw that NAD was suggested, and I would have to second that. I have the T773 av reciver that I am demoing right now and if all of their equipment is comperable to this then they would be on the short list. Also, I would like to suggest Theta Digital, Lexicon, or any of the Adcom stuff. All are quality built with various price levels to fit most budgets.

M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone so far. The NAD and Adcom are at the top of my list I think, because I already use the benchmark dac as a preamp, and only would like to spend so much money for a volume remote and automatic source switching.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis