DTS-HD MA

DTS-HD MA

Junior Audioholic
Hi there! Has anyone heard of Favi screens? A guy in my area has an electric 120 inch 1.3 gain listed for $250.00 on craigs list. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
DTS-HD MA

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think Favi is Saaria as well.

These are extremely inexpensive bottom of the line products. But, for the money, you really do get your money's worth.

The biggest issue with this, as it is with all roll-up screens, is that if it is used, it may already have waves in the material. If it does not, then it will develop waves over the next year or so which will significantly diminish the quality of your viewing experience.

If 120" is the right size for your viewing, then I would consider the following:
1. Do you really need a roll up screen or can you go with a permanently fixed screen? For the $$$ permanently fixed screens are far superior.

2. Are you okay with the reality that waves WILL occur in your $250 screen in the next year or two (if they aren't already there)?

3. If you aren't okay with that, then are you prepared to dish out more moey for a tab-tensioned electric screen?

4. If not, then I would go with a far less expensive manual screen, which will still get waves in the material, but will do it for $100 instead of $250.

5. IME, a nice DIY fixed screen for around $100 can beat out a screen with waves in it for quality any day of the week.

DTS-HD MA

DTS-HD MA

Junior Audioholic
I think Favi is Saaria as well.

These are extremely inexpensive bottom of the line products. But, for the money, you really do get your money's worth.

The biggest issue with this, as it is with all roll-up screens, is that if it is used, it may already have waves in the material. If it does not, then it will develop waves over the next year or so which will significantly diminish the quality of your viewing experience.

If 120" is the right size for your viewing, then I would consider the following:
1. Do you really need a roll up screen or can you go with a permanently fixed screen? For the $$$ permanently fixed screens are far superior.

2. Are you okay with the reality that waves WILL occur in your $250 screen in the next year or two (if they aren't already there)?

3. If you aren't okay with that, then are you prepared to dish out more moey for a tab-tensioned electric screen?

4. If not, then I would go with a far less expensive manual screen, which will still get waves in the material, but will do it for $100 instead of $250.

5. IME, a nice DIY fixed screen for around $100 can beat out a screen with waves in it for quality any day of the week.
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. You are absolutely right about fixed vs roll up screens but with my dedicated HT room being upstairs and the only window behind it (the screen) I don't have much of a choice other than roll up. I was considering Elite Cine Tension 2 for a while but I've just seen the Favi screen ad and wanted to get some input about it since I've never heard of them before. Currently using Sony VPL-51A 720p on 106' Optoma Graywolf (not setting the world on fire..lol) for about 3 years now in a light controlled room. Maybe I shouldn't put the carriage ahead of the horse and buy a new 1080p projector first and an appropriate screen for it second. Ironically the guy selling the Favi screen lives on the street called "Carriage Ln"..lol:D

Thanks again for your input,
DTS-HD MA

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. You are absolutely right about fixed vs roll up screens but with my dedicated HT room being upstairs and the only window behind it (the screen) I don't have much of a choice other than roll up. I was considering Elite Cine Tension 2 for a while but I've just seen the Favi screen ad and wanted to get some input about it since I've never heard of them before. Currently using Sony VPL-51A 720p on 106' Optoma Graywolf (not setting the world on fire..lol) for about 3 years now in a light controlled room. Maybe I shouldn't put the carriage ahead of the horse and buy a new 1080p projector first and an appropriate screen for it second. Ironically the guy selling the Favi screen lives on the street called "Carriage Ln"..lol:D

Thanks again for your input,
DTS-HD MA
I think that street is telling you something. You have a screen. Unless you are getting a better one no need to buy one.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hi there! Has anyone heard of Favi screens? A guy in my area has an electric 120 inch 1.3 gain listed for $250.00 on craigs list. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
DTS-HD MA
For roughly $150 more than that, (+/-$50) is my guess, you can get a NEW DaLite High Power rolldown at 120".

I recommend this screen if:

1. All viewers can be within a 20 deg viewing cone.

2. The projector can be mounted relatively close to eye level. Whether that means a table in front of you, or an extended pipe above you, or bookshelf.

The waves are virtually invisible to me most of the time. They are more noticeable at a large angle off-axis. I notice a waved large pan scale for roughly one moment out of every 5 movies watched.

No one else has ever noticed a single wave. Ever. And I've had a lot of guests. And I've asked on a number of occasions. I've stopped asking, because why make them look for it?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773065

on the other hand, if you are happy with the "pop" of your setup, as well as the ambient light rejection, I'd also recommend a fixed frame. But if you need a roll-up, I simply can't recommend the HP enough.

They are not even offered as fixed, nor as tab tensioned. It's a very heavy, glass emulsified material.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I got a 120" Favi, before i bought a 120" elite screen (it's possible they come from the same place, but I have no idea)

The Favi cost me $120 on sale with free shipping off amazon. It came in a box a little larger than the screen itself. I installed it on the wall and pulled the screen down. It looked fine at first, but once the projector was on I noticed it was wrinkled twice, from the center of the screen (by the pull). outwards. SO it looked like a 45* cutoff going to each corner. I thought it would flatten out, but it didn't and after a week of pulling it up and down gently, the screen detached from the roller and fell out of the housing. They wanted $75 to ship it back for a replacement and after much fighting, I decided to just throw it away and get the ES. It works fine, has no creases, and had much better packaging. It's also got a black housing which feels like truck bed liner, and has less flex to it than the FAVI. So far I'm happy, and I spent $135 total on it with free shipping through Amazon.

That could have been an isolated incident though... but hope it helps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis