F1 Australian GP this Sunday

itschris

itschris

I don't know about any of you but i'm so excited my butt's wet. I think this first race is going to be a total disaster... crashes, run-offs, and DNFs.

It'll be interesting to see how these new cars really run and sound in full on race mode. I'm really going to miss the signature V8 scream, but hopefully the sound of the engine, the turbo, and the electric motors will be something special on it's own in full blast.

I hate the look of the new cars... the low nose on these are hidious, but still... it's F1 and I can't wait.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know about any of you but i'm so excited my butt's wet. I think this first race is going to be a total disaster... crashes, run-offs, and DNFs.

It'll be interesting to see how these new cars really run and sound in full on race mode. I'm really going to miss the signature V8 scream, but hopefully the sound of the engine, the turbo, and the electric motors will be something special on it's own in full blast.

I hate the look of the new cars... the low nose on these are hidious, but still... it's F1 and I can't wait.
Time to clean out all the garbage on the PVR for another season for F1. :D

itschris

itschris

I'm downloading the app this year to see what it's all about. The reality I think is that this season is not going to be very competitive, but it will be fun to watch for other reasons. I think this year is solely a development year. A lot of teams, especially the Renault powered ones which include Red Bull, have been struggling in all the tests. I've been following it pretty closely all year.

if the tests are any indication, Mercedes will likely win every race... no one was even close to them in testing. I think Williams is the only team... and maybe McClaren... that could challenge them. I don't even think Ferrari is anywhere near pace. Obviously that could all change or maybe even changed already... we'll just have to see and that's part of the excitement.

I'm going to start looking into making arrangments for Austin. I'd like to go, but at the same time, it's not worth $2K+ for the weekend to go. I can watch it on TV. We may plan a European trip this year where it may make more sense to catch a race over there. I've been leaning towards Spa.

TV will due too, however.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm downloading the app this year to see what it's all about. The reality I think is that this season is not going to be very competitive, but it will be fun to watch for other reasons. I think this year is solely a development year. A lot of teams, especially the Renault powered ones which include Red Bull, have been struggling in all the tests. I've been following it pretty closely all year.

if the tests are any indication, Mercedes will likely win every race... no one was even close to them in testing. I think Williams is the only team... and maybe McClaren... that could challenge them. I don't even think Ferrari is anywhere near pace. Obviously that could all change or maybe even changed already... we'll just have to see and that's part of the excitement.

I'm going to start looking into making arrangments for Austin. I'd like to go, but at the same time, it's not worth $2K+ for the weekend to go. I can watch it on TV. We may plan a European trip this year where it may make more sense to catch a race over there. I've been leaning towards Spa.

TV will due too, however.
Did F1 change the engine rules again?

itschris

itschris

Did F1 change the engine rules again?
Pretty much everything changed. V6 Turbo, but it's all complicted by the Energy Recovery System (ERS) which replaces the KERs units from before. This video is about the best I've seen which explains the new system. They don't even refer to it as an engin anymore... they call it the power unit because the engins is now just one part of the power. This is worth watching:

Formula 1® - The Official F1® Website

Other changes... smaller front wing, the hideous sloped nose (though Red Bull and Mercedes sort of found a way to make it half way okay looking), no b-wing, single central mounted exhaust (means no exhaust blown surfaces), and new high efficiency standards on fuel.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the reminder. It's going to be interesting.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The October race in Sochi Russia will be very interesting.

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
and maybe McClaren...
An F1, but not formula one. Here are a couple of images from a photo shoot I did years ago:

Ridiculous car. Just awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
itschris

itschris

Just read an interview with Chris Horner (Red Bull) who said that Mercedes is so far ahead of the field that they may lap cars twice.

I'm really really hoping that's just Chris trying to pull some Jedi mind tricks on the competition... but then again... the RB10 never made it around the track without practicaly catching on fire during testing.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Wow, I didn't know they made so many changes to the cars. Anyone know what kind of power are the new turbo v6 engines making?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, I didn't know they made so many changes to the cars. Anyone know what kind of power are the new turbo v6 engines making?
This link is pretty informative - Turbocharging and advanced hybrid tech coming to Formula 1 for 2014
Pasted from article -
The turbocharged V6 engines will generate 600 bhp, down 150 hp from the previous season.
However, the loss of power through the gas power plant will now be subsidized by new Energy Recover Systems (ERS) which adds 160bhp for about 30 seconds.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Alonso was just quoted as saying the other problem is the extremely tight fuel efficiency standards mean that there only a couple tracks where they can actually run flat out and still finish the race! I love the new turbo charging tech, if for no other reason than the trickle down benefits that our consumer vehicles will receive. But I wish they would make the slightest increase in fuel so that these guys can really push these machines to the limit. The new tech alone guarantees an action packed season, why not let them drive the wheels off!?

itschris

itschris

Well.... I honestly decided to reserve judgement until the first race. Now that it's done... I'm thoroughly disappointed. I'm not going to speculate on the future of F1 or the season, but so far... Race 1 = Strike 1.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1) Clearly the technology change is too far reaching too soon. The top two drivers of the two top teams couldn't even finish the race due to tech problems.

2) Lack of drivability. What's the point of eliminating that much downforce?

3) Things are two dangerous. The rear braking is largely rengenerative so if there's a failure within that system bad things happen. Ask Kobyashi and Massa bout that.

4) What's with the fuel restriction? We are racing aren't we? As much as I like Ricciardo and Red Bull, Magnussen probably should've/would've caught him but couldn't because he didn't have the fuel. Is that how we race now? What's the deal with emphasis on saving fuel. It's F1, not Greenpeace.

5) If people thought F1 as boring the past couple of years because of Red Bull dominance, what are they going to say this year about Mercedes? 25+ second advantage? Hopefully the ramp up of some of the other teams will catch up. I'm not writing this off just yet.

6) Stupidity of regulations. It's like the Obama Administration has their fingers in F1 now. Where is the wisdom of killing one of the 2 or 3 good stories of the race by dq-ing Ricciardo due to what even some of the other teams are saying is a riduculous infraction.

7) The sound and the thrill is gone. The cars are just butt ugly now and the sound that made F1 a super sensory experience is gone. Hopefully as the tech settles, they'll increase the rev limit up to 20K from 15K where it is now. Maybe that'll help.

It was great to see Williams and McClaren back in the game. That was one bright spot.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Well.... I honestly decided to reserve judgement until the first race. Now that it's done... I'm thoroughly disappointed. I'm not going to speculate on the future of F1 or the season, but so far... Race 1 = Strike 1.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1) Clearly the technology change is too far reaching too soon. The top two drivers of the two top teams couldn't even finish the race due to tech problems.

2) Lack of drivability. What's the point of eliminating that much downforce?

3) Things are two dangerous. The rear braking is largely rengenerative so if there's a failure within that system bad things happen. Ask Kobyashi and Massa bout that.

4) What's with the fuel restriction? We are racing aren't we? As much as I like Ricciardo and Red Bull, Magnussen probably should've/would've caught him but couldn't because he didn't have the fuel. Is that how we race now? What's the deal with emphasis on saving fuel. It's F1, not Greenpeace.

5) If people thought F1 as boring the past couple of years because of Red Bull dominance, what are they going to say this year about Mercedes? 25+ second advantage? Hopefully the ramp up of some of the other teams will catch up. I'm not writing this off just yet.

6) Stupidity of regulations. It's like the Obama Administration has their fingers in F1 now. Where is the wisdom of killing one of the 2 or 3 good stories of the race by dq-ing Ricciardo due to what even some of the other teams are saying is a riduculous infraction.

7) The sound and the thrill is gone. The cars are just butt ugly now and the sound that made F1 a super sensory experience is gone. Hopefully as the tech settles, they'll increase the rev limit up to 20K from 15K where it is now. Maybe that'll help.

It was great to see Williams and McClaren back in the game. That was one bright spot.

Agree with above post.

Last edited by a moderator:
defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
itschris said:
Now that it's done... I'm thoroughly disappointed.
1. It's as if someone insane, or someone coming from a completely theoretical understanding of auto racing came up with the new tech requirements.

2. Don't worry, the tyre manufacturer will take care of it... (/sarc)

4. This is the crux of he biscuit for me. The shambles of "fuel restrictions" makes me want to watch the flames and power-puke of NHRA drag racing, on television no less!

6. It's "public choice theory" applied to the yesterdecades beauty of Formula 1. The purpose of the regs is to perpetuate the dominance of the regulators.

7. Boring boring boring. I've had 600cc motorcycles with better sounding pipes.

It was kinda late for me, but I'm not ashamed to admit I kept falling asleep. The only drama that existed was from how effed-up everything was. :mad:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Tried to google this, but without finding anything good, is this streamed anywhere on the web?
seems like it's not streamed to Youtube.....

itschris

itschris

Well there's certainly quite a bit of fallout at this point already. The promoters are seriously considering lawsuits against F1. They likened it to going to the store to by grape jelly and finding the jar is filled with peanut butter. There's nothing wrong with peanut butter, but it's not what you bought.

Apparently there have already been a significant number of cancellations of existing pre-orders for future events and already a drop in demand as well which usually accelerates after the first race.

I mean really... the thrill is gone to large extent. The changes don't seem to make sense for racing... and in the end... we are racing. Bernie himself complained loudly about how bad the cars sounded and says something must be done this season or else its going to be an issue. And he's right. It's a sensory sport. Just look at the video Rickster posted... it says it all. Plus when you have top teams not able to have their best drivers finish the race... it's just bad.

annunaki

annunaki

I was prepared for the sound of the cars... or so I thought
The sound of F1 now is a complete letdown and disappointment.

That aside, the tech is rather interesting (which is one reason I love it) but the regulations are becoming too restrictive. It is one thing to stipulate 100kg fuel, but then open the darn engine formula, let the teams innovate. Let them come up with a solution that they believe will be successful. Then keep the reliability and number of engines in check with '13 don't try to hamper them further by increasing longevity.

F1 is supposed to be about achieving the maxium possible, now it is just a dirtier, slightly louder version of Formula E :(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis