External DAC. Pick one...

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Uh I didn't contribute anything to this discussion but I am glad at least somebody thinks I am right about something.
Always nice to be right about something!

Your posts do tend to be on point, but in this one I think I confused you with LovintheHD

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Still haven't picked up the SDAC, and wondering if I really need it when I have an 105 and HA-1 already. I am almost certain it is not a need, but a want, so properly will pick it up this week or next regardless.:(

Where is RichB when you need him?:D

Last edited:
eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Still haven't picked up the SDAC, and wondering if I really need it when I have an 105 and HA-1 already. I am almost certain it is not a need, but a want, so properly get pick it up this week or next regardless.:(

Where is RichB when you need him?:D

I gotta say, 90% of my audio stuff is a want satiated not a need remedied.

It's a hobby, indulge, as long as the baby has milk. ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Finally picked up the Sonica DAC that I don't need, still trying to figure out what to use it for.:D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Finally picked up the Sonica DAC that I don't need, still trying to figure out what to use it for.:D
And people think I'm loose with money. ;)

I still haven't gotten around to buying one yet. Too cheap, not home enough.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And people think I'm loose with money. ;)

not home enough.
Same here, that's why I haven't picked it up for months until now. I am thinking of trying to use it as a DAC and the HA-1 as preamp first and see how well that works. I have no expectation of any sound quality related improvements. It is just an extra electronic toy that I think I deserve. If for any reason I hear a difference, I can try to talk you into loosening a little more with your money.:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... It is just an extra electronic toy that I think I deserve. ....:D
I deserve a 4K projector and player. ;) Maybe even an Atmos setup too.
Now to find a sugar daddy or something. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I test my new equipment with my younger Wife and 28 year old daughter that have better hearing than most members on this forum.
What. Forget the DAC and Tekton speakers. How young is your wife? :eek: :D

Anyway, I've own many DAC, amps, preamps, pre-pros, AVR, subs, and speakers, expensive cables. I can't tell the difference among DACs.

But I'll give you the benefit here. ;)

And I looked up one Tekton speaker measurement. Looks like Off-axis FR was not smooth, but the on-axis measurement from 200Hz-20kHz was about +/-3dB, which seems pretty good.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/tekton-design-enzo-xl-loudspeaker-measurements

The salient thing is you love the sound of your system. Enjoy.

I am unequivocally enamored by the sound of my system. So I know how that feels. :D

We should all relish the sound of our systems. :)

And no, I'm not on drugs. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
And how old is the older one is what comes to my mind reading that. Regardless, it is a good thing he uses his younger wife to asses the audio system.
Come to think of it, is that younger wife younger than his 28 year old daughter? :D

RichB

RichB

Well, you can stream from your iPhone :p

I just fired mine up this weekend since the UPD-205 has been providing the DAC duties. It sounds great, jump in. :)

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, you can stream from your iPhone :p

I just fired mine up this weekend since the UPD-205 has been providing the DAC duties. It sounds great, jump in. :)

- Rich
I have it's analog out connected to the HA-1 analog inputs, have you tried that too?

RichB

RichB

I have it's analog out connected to the HA-1 analog inputs, have you tried that too?
No. I had it directly connected to the amp at one point. Lately, I have the BDP-105D, HA-1, Sonica DAC, and UDP-205 connected to a Kramer 4-way XLR switch that goes through the XMC-1 XLR inputs. With this configuration, I can use J River Zones to simultaneously stream to the SDAC, 105, and 205 and select the input with no level matching required.

I picked up another Kramer so I can try the SDAC direct again without rewiring the world.

If you have J River, you can do setup linked zones for the HA-1 and SDAC and change inputs to compare them.

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No. I had it directly connected to the amp at one point. Lately, I have the BDP-105D, HA-1, Sonica DAC, and UDP-205 connected to a Kramer 4-way XLR switch that goes through the XMC-1 XLR inputs. With this configuration, I can use J River Zones to simultaneously stream to the SDAC, 105, and 205 and select the input with no level matching required.

I picked up another Kramer so I can try the SDAC direct again without rewiring the world.

If you have J River, you can do setup linked zones for the HA-1 and SDAC and change inputs to compare them.

- Rich
What is your comparison results, sdac vs ha1 vs bdp105d vs udp205? So far it sounds very good but I haven't have time to do any serious listening let alone comparing it with the ha1 and bdp105.

RichB

RichB

What is your comparison results, sdac vs ha1 vs bdp105d vs udp205? So far it sounds very good but I haven't have time to do any serious listening let alone comparing it with the ha1 and bdp105.
It has been a while so I went back for a quick listen between the HA-1, Sonica DAC, and 205. I have assumed that the output levels are the same but have not checked. All are routed through the XMC-1 for volume control.

That said, the SDAC and 205 are providing a slightly different soundstage than the HA-1. There differences are SUBTLE. I'd give he 205 the node for a fuller sound than the SDAC. The HA-1 is also fuller but the SDAC and 205 have a bit more open on the top end.

The SDAC works in the Sonica universe and support Bluetooth and Airplay. If those are not required, then the 205 is the top of the line (IMO).

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It has been a while so I went back for a quick listen between the HA-1, Sonica DAC, and 205. I have assumed that the output levels are the same but have not checked. All are routed through the XMC-1 for volume control.

That said, the SDAC and 205 are providing a slightly different soundstage than the HA-1. There differences are SUBTLE. I'd give he 205 the node for a fuller sound than the SDAC. The HA-1 is also fuller but the SDAC and 205 have a bit more open on the top end.

The SDAC works in the Sonica universe and support Bluetooth and Airplay. If those are not required, then the 205 is the top of the line (IMO).

- Rich
Thank you, I know you have better ears than I. If the difference is subtle for you, I am sure they will all sound equally good to me. Since I have the 105 already, I am not going to bother with the 205.

RichB

RichB

Thank you, I know you have better ears than I. If the difference is subtle for you, I am sure they will all sound equally good to me. Since I have the 105 already, I am not going to bother with the 205.
Do you use a PC or a MAC to USB to the DACs?
If PC, then J River makes it easy to compare them using the HA-1 XLR input. The levels *should* match so you can just switch the input source. Even better, have someone switch it for you :)

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you use a PC or a MAC to USB to the DACs?
If PC, then J River makes it easy to compare them using the HA-1 XLR input. The levels *should* match so you can just switch the input source. Even better, have someone switch it for you :)

- Rich
I have both PC and MAC, my jRiver trial offer had expired, asked for an extension but that only lasted a couple of days. I emailed them and told them I was busy at work during the trial period and would like to have another chance to try it out. Got no response, not impressed with their customer service so far. I am still looking for better alternatives to jRiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis