Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
So there is a strong possibility that I will be moving into a new apartment this summer and I am seriously considering just storing my center and surrounds, as installing all that in an apartment is such a hassle for something that is not permanent. All I will be running are my RTi12's and Ultra13...

I want to add an external amp with this set-up as I have read rather wide-spread that it seems that the 12's really benifit from a very dynamic amplifier. So my question is what are my best and least expensive choices in the 500 watt perchannel range. I was looking at the D-sonic Ice amps which seem to be the most resonably priced for 500 watts per channel...

Any thoughts would be most greatly appreciated....

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So there is a strong possibility that I will be moving into a new apartment this summer and I am seriously considering just storing my center and surrounds, as installing all that in an apartment is such a hassle for something that is not permanent. All I will be running are my RTi12's and Ultra13...

I want to add an external amp with this set-up as I have read rather wide-spread that it seems that the 12's really benifit from a very dynamic amplifier. So my question is what are my best and least expensive choices in the 500 watt perchannel range. I was looking at the D-sonic Ice amps which seem to be the most resonably priced for 500 watts per channel...

I just wanted to say you have a very cool signature pick Sorry I know it's off topic. But I laugh everytime I see it.;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like the looks (& lower prices) of the D-Sonic amps.

I asking them the price of their 500w x 5 ch amps.

Last edited:
Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
I like the looks (& lower prices) of the D-Sonic amps. Too bad they don't have a 500W x 5 Ch amp, like the Wyred MC5x500 amp.

When it comes to buying 500 Watts 8 ohms/1000 Watts 4 ohms amps, screw the rationale about "needing" power and go straight to the "wanting".:D

Well the RTi12's are rated to 500 watts which is why I was using that as a minimum...as much as I might like 1000 watts to be over the top that is certaily not in my price range. I think the I will benefit alot from the 500 watts however...

There doesn't seem to be much in this power bracket that is resonably priced....I was even looking at some of the used Sunfire Signature stereo amps as well...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well the RTi12's are rated to 500 watts which is why I was using that as a minimum...as much as I might like 1000 watts to be over the top that is certaily not in my price range. I think the I will benefit alot from the 500 watts however...

There doesn't seem to be much in this power bracket that is resonably priced....I was even looking at some of the used Sunfire Signature stereo amps as well...
I thought the RTi12's are actually 4 ohms (at the least the minimum impedance). If so, the output of these amps would be about 1200 watts/4 ohms per channel.

If D-Sonic offers a 1000 Watts 8 ohms/2000 watts 4 ohms amp, I would be thinking about getting it!

I just emailed/asked D-Sonic the price on their custom 500W/8 ohms x 5Ch amps. I hope it's cheaper than the $3900 price of the Wyred amp.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Well I hope so too man...

The RTi12s stated specs are 8ohm...I have no idea if they do indeed drop below that or not...I will have to check that.

Unfortunately the amps in this power bracket are pricey...but hopefully I can find something which will fit the bill...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well I hope so too man...

The RTi12s stated specs are 8ohm...I have no idea if they do indeed drop below that or not...I will have to check that.

Unfortunately the amps in this power bracket are pricey...but hopefully I can find something which will fit the bill...
Yeah, I don't know about the RTi12s, but HTM reviewed the RTi A9 and measured a minimum impedance of 4.5 ohms:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorloudspeakers/890polkrti/index3.html

And the LSi9 has a minimum impedance of 2.5:
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/speakersystems/141/index4.html

Last edited:
selkec

selkec

Audioholic
I have an Emotiva Xpa5 running my POlk Rti150's and it made a world of differencs from my Harman Kardon rec. They came alive and had alot more bass (tight bass) and I heard sounds I never knew were in the songs before. Also I do believe your speakers do dip down around 4ohms as do my rti150's even though the site says 8 ohms. I would love to get 2 xpa1's. 1000watts per channel will bring your speakers to life.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder if a Behringer ep2500 might be what the doctor ordered for your desires. It would deliver plenty of power with lots of headroom for around 300 bucks. You would need to mod the fan, but it's a trivial task considering the money you would save.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have an Emotiva Xpa5 running my POlk Rti150's and it made a world of differencs from my Harman Kardon rec. They came alive and had alot more bass (tight bass) and I heard sounds I never knew were in the songs before. Also I do believe your speakers do dip down around 4ohms as do my rti150's even though the site says 8 ohms. I would love to get 2 xpa1's. 1000watts per channel will bring your speakers to life.
I wonder though if a Behringer would be a better option.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
The MPS1, EP2500 and Rotel have all been used on my system. They all sounded the same and drove my speakers very well. The AVR alone, left me wanting more.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
I had considered the EP2500 option....but my question would be what do I use to go from the RCA outputs on the 3808ci to the XLR on the rear of the EP2500 and are there any voltage issues going from consumer to pro gear???

The only other thing I can even consider would possbily be emotiva...but the D-sonic stuff is just a little too $$$ for my student budget unfortunately...Maybe a used rotel RB-1080 at 200 watts x 2...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
A 200 watt Rotel will easily drive your speakers.

You can go from the 3808 to the EP2500 with either a RCA to XLR cable or an Art Cleanbox. I use the Clean Box because I had a hum without it.

The 3808 has plenty of signal to drive a pro amp. The biggest issue with pro amps are they are ugly and you have to figure a way to turn them on. I use a XANTECH AC1 from the 12v trigger on the Denon and it works great but sets you back another 100 bucks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just emailed/asked D-Sonic the price on their custom 500W/8 ohms x 5Ch amps. I hope it's cheaper than the $3900 price of the Wyred amp.
I got the response from D-Sonic. Their 500W/8ohms x 5 Ch amp is called the M2 500-5 and it's $2975 + $50 shipping = $3,025. That's about $1K cheaper than the Wyred 500W x 5 Ch amp.:D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I got the response from D-Sonic. Their 500W/8ohms x 5 Ch amp is called the M2 500-5 and it's $2975 + $50 shipping = $3,025. That's about $1K cheaper than the Wyred 500W x 5 Ch amp.:D
I was extremely lucky to get my 7 channel Wyred amp for that same price. 500x3 250x4... I will say that the build quality of the Wyred is just a notch above the D-Sonic but nothing that would deter me from buying again...

Its a great amp, with lots of power.... Both are great choices.... the savings with the D-Sonic is worth it...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

Nothing wrong with adding a nice beefy powerful amp, but along the same lines I've probably already recommended, would you consider treatments yet?

Perhaps wait to move before deciding? After all, some apartments naturally allow for greater volumes than another. I've plugged different amps into my electrostats that drop to 0.7 ohms, but the difference (if any) simply pales big time compared to the addition of treatments. They could look like this, if willing to put three nails up, or there's always stands as well (though finding where to stack/store them could be a hassle). YMMV.

In the end, in my limited experiences, the addition of treatments itself allows, um, I'll say "greater perceived headroom", because I can further crank the volume before room acoustic issues rears its ugly head. It is then, I find, that the need for a beefy amp might become even more realized. Again, just my preliminary impressions after my first two years in the hobby.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
I still don't understand the point of using a power amp in an apt...

I mean... mine is really well soundproofed and I have forgiving neighbors but still, I won't even take my RX-V1800 to half what it's capable of.

On the other hand, I installed the full 5.1 setup I own and I really enjoy all the effects that those channels can deliver, even at low volumes.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
I could very well be out of my mind...which is entirely likely...

But everything I have read points to the RTi12's benefiting from the extra power...but then again my 3808 will pushing more power to just the mains once I go 2 channel since it won't be powering the other three channels. In the mean time I am keeping my eyes peeled for good 2 and 5 channel amp deals....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis