Extending a Projector Ceiling Mount Length

I

iKokomo

Audioholic Intern
I just got a working Optoma HD70 projector from a thrift store for $24 and it came with a ceiling mount. I would like to use the mount on my ceiling, but there is a ceiling fan in the middle of the room, so I would need to drop down the projector mount a good extra 6-12 inches. My question is how would I go about doing this? Is there an extension rod this projector? Can I make a homemade extension rod and how can I do this?
This is a neat projector and I would love to put in on the ceiling.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That's a real garbage mount. Typical cheap Amazon stuff. You can make something yourself out of whatever materials you choose. 2x4's screwed together then screwed to the ceiling would work.

You could get a new mount, but it would be a lot more than what you paid for things and may not be something you want to buy. The Chief RPMAU mount allows the use of steel 1.5" tubing to mount it at whatever distance you want and is the best mount I've ever used. About $100 for them on eBay, and you will need about $40 in parts to make it work after that.

You could use some standard mounting materials, like two 1.5" plumbing flanges. Mount one to the ceiling, then use a piece of 1.5" pipe between the two at the proper length, and put the other 1.5" flange on the other end. Put a block of wood on the lower flange and bolt the mount to that. It will hold the mount very well and will work. About $30 in materials for that.

Cheapest would just be screwing a bunch of 2x4s together.

In the ceiling, make sure you are going into studs, not just drywall.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis