Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014) bluray, will god sound overhead?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Arriving on Monday

Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)
dtsHDMA 7.1 with Overhead/Below surround special / Lucasflm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers

Would be interesting if god speaks from overhead? :D
Like to see how much low end weight, "the parting red seas" has with bass and LFE.1.

Exodus Moses, wasn't happy when he found out 20th century fox, didn't support atmos, only to get dtsHDMA 7.1. lol home atmos is a fail. Dolby trueHD has been non supportive to consumers for years as dtsHDMA hold the market.

"And Moses threw down the Atmos tablets and smashed them at the foot of the mountain"

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I'm gonna make a few diy extra more "special modifications myself" as god will be booming though the letterbox between 9:45am and 11am? So I have to prepare for the event of 2014. :D

I have an extra 5th JBL control 5 for the x4 on the ceiling.

I had a diy idea some 10 years ago I think I called it "crossover surround" nothing to do with passive/active crossover networks. Its a bit complicated but what was on had at the time regards to matrix processors, it would be tricky. To get the 4 typical corner speakers front/rear with pans to half pan phnaoms to appear in new channel located in the middle of the ceiling without the sound collapsing on its self. It would require some 4 matrix decoders.

Well I had discovery breakthrough with another diy matrix testing some 7 years ago with matrix decoder wired onto centre channel and rear surround to get half pan sounds appear on well kinder of new channel on the ceiling.

I tested the opening of Grand Canyon (1992) with helicopter in Dolby 4.1 as well as the down mix 4.2.4 matrix and the effect of it worked but it had some small cross talk snags but so what, least I bothered to explore it, for myself to see how well I can make it work.

I only had it wired up maybe for day or two then uninstalled it to fitting the surrounds all back to how it was with the other type diy overhead surrounds. Plus I didn't have enough amplifiers at the time. :D

I could do that again I have enough spare Dolby PL and 4 extra spare amplifiers out the 30 or so I have now.

I think I'll play the film as it comes tomorrow its exhausting work start finding rack space and my main x2 racks are FULL UP! x73 speakers is more than most have in their home cinema.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
EXODUS GODS AND KINGS (2014)
dtsHDMA 7.1 with expansion overhead below surround / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73

Wow the sets integrated with CGI looks increadble as usual with a Ridley Scott film.
Cinefex #140
http://cinefex.com/blog/exodus-140/

Sound, first battle scene with arrows being shot I heard them fly overhead.

Wow EXODUS GODS AND KINGS (2014) chapter 36 Tsunami or more less cursed by a small meteor that Moses, sees in the night sky hours before must have slammed into the ocean thousands of miles away and pushing all the water outwards then later comes crashing back inwards in a large almighty Tsunami wave.

Alberto Iglesias, gives the final between Moses and
Ramses, a dramatic standoff.

The wave thunders all around slamming into land mass and rocks while some of waves draw my attention upwards with a thundering sound while keeping eyes still on the screen. Sounded like the wave of god. (Personally I don't think I want to anywhere near one not with tones and tones of water coming down every per second).

Low end has lows across LCR-SS-SB-LFE.1 extending down below 20Hz on spectrum lab.

EXODUS mixed at Twickenham Studios. :)

Mix LCR

LFE.1

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I like how the dialog on the scene pictured below echoes.
If I mute front L/R the dialog doesn't echo.
If I mute centre and un-mute front L/R I hear a small many -db down the dialog on L/R along with sound effects and score. Still the dialog doesn't echo.

Its combination of three channels and some use of clever delay in the mix on dialog stem track as I heard the effect on past film, Goldeneye (1995) where Bond, meets Alec Trevelyan, at Russian, relics junkyard. Yep I always keep listening... :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I am looking forward to the 3D version coming to me this week. Looks like you liked it. :)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I am looking forward to the 3D version coming to me this week. Looks like you liked it. :)
It wasn't all that bad. I liked the idea no staff in the water to part the seas and that it was maybe a meteorite traveling across the skies. You'll see and hear for yourself, when Exodus, arrives.

Sounded good with diy overhead when some of that water leaps over from between the side wall surround arrays and makes me look upwards then it crashes down on back surround with a difference on LCR. Although the angle of the water and where its moving overhead is a bit out of place with the sound, but most won't even notice it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis