Ex Machina - excellent sci-fi

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ever since the cold and dismal “Year Without a Summer” in 1816, when Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein, we have been writing about the complications of trying to create artificial sentience. The sci-fi movie world has used this plot theme over and over. Back to Fritz Lang’s amazing Metropolis with its female robot “The Machine”, through all of the variations on Frankenstein movies, Robbie the Robot in The Forbidden Planet, androids in Blade Runner, and more recent films like Kubrick/Speilberg’s AI - Artificial Intelligence or the more recent Her, we have contemplated just what happens when you create a machine that can “think”. Back in the 40’s, early computer inventor Alan Turing considered this at a time when computers were barely up to the task of adding up your grocery bill; he came up with what’s been referred to as the Turing Test, which is whether a computing device can respond to a question in a way that would convince an objective human that the response is intelligent.

This time, the story is of an eccentric, genius billionaire Nathan (Oscar Issac), who has invited a brilliant programmer Caleb (Domhall Gleason) to evaluate Ava (Alicia Vikander), an engaging and attractive android, to see if Caleb can determine whether Ava can pass the Turing Test. The test is taking place in a forbiddingly isolated complex, apparently only inhabited by Nathan, Ava and his beguiling “servant” (who does not speak English) Kyoko. Caleb can ask Ava any question and discuss anything with her, but she is physically isolated from him behind glass walls; both are under 24 X 7 surveillance, except during brief power failures.

The plot takes a turn when, during one of the failures, Ava reveals to Caleb that Nathan can not see them when the power is out and reveals that she wants OUT of the complex. She is being held against her will. She says that Nathan is not what he appears to be and is dangerous. Caleb discovers that Nathan is erratic, potentially violent and that he’s a heavily drinking alcoholic. As the days pass, Caleb feels more isolated, trapped and unsure what he’s really doing and WHY he is doing it. By this time, the viewer is probably convinced that Ava has passed the Turing Test, but that doesn’t help; now the question is, just what is the real game here. Things are getting less clear rather than more for Caleb. His situation takes a turn for the worse when Caleb starts to probe into parts of the building that are none of his business and discovers more aspects of Nathan’s work and intention. Each revelation makes this wide open environment become more claustrophobic as Caleb realizes just how far away he is and how helpless.

Ex Machina is one of the more intelligent and theoretical films I have seen in a while. It’s worth being familiar with the concept of AI and the Turing Test. It’s the only film I can recall having seen that uses the word stochastic (look it up). It’s somewhat slow to develop, but, like Nathan, continues to become more menacing the more we learn. With a sparse cast, there are three performances of note, Oscar Issac as Nathan, Domhall Gleason as Caleb and a highly digitized Alicia Vikander as Ava. The cinematography is quite good and the highly digital FX of the androids is excellent. The film is the directorial debut by Alex Garland, who also wrote the script. His previous credits are mainly as a writer, notably for 28 Days Later and Dredd. He’s not a well known name in the US (he’s British) but, based on Ex Machina, he should be. If you like your sci-fi to be high-concept rather than monsters, running and shooting, this is definitely worth seeing.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Mary Shelley, lived in Bournemouth, and few places around the town are named after her.

Looks like blind buy for Ex-Machina, release date is 1st June 2015, UK.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It was very good, but don't go to the theater thinking you will see the next evolution of Bladerunner and AI. I guess like I felt the premise has amazing potential and they did not fully capture it.
It is a good flick, but I was looking for epic.

PS: I should say that I don't remember where Bladerunner ends and Philip K. lord helmet's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" begins. It has been a long time, so I may be remembering more how good the book was.

LOL, The "common nickname for Richard" becomes lord helmet when you save the post!
I am so glad the auto censors are being vigilent.
Richard Nixon aka Tricky lord helmet!

Last edited:
skizzerflake

skizzerflake

It was very good, but don't go to the theater thinking you will see the next evolution of Bladerunner and AI. I guess like I felt the premise has amazing potential and they did not fully capture it.
It is a good flick, but I was looking for epic.

PS: I should say that I don't remember where Bladerunner ends and Philip K. lord helmet's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" begins. It has been a long time, so I may be remembering more how good the book was.

LOL, The "common nickname for Richard" becomes lord helmet when you save the post!
I am so glad the auto censors are being vigilent.
Richard Nixon aka Tricky lord helmet!
Ex Machina doesn't loom in my "Best Ever" list like Blade Runner, with its noir-sci-fi beauty, but I thought it was more at the level of AI except that AI, in my view, was overlong and difficult for people who who are not fans (I am a fan of it). EM was, however, one that will probably be in my Best of 2015, unless there is some sort of groundswell of great flicks on the way after the usual action movies of the summer. I saw Blade Runner way before I ever discovered Philip K lord helmet, so I have to admit that the movie defines the story for me. I big part of my liking for BR was the visuals of the climate-altered, heavily Asian, decrepit, Los Angeles of the future.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't want to spoil the movie, but my comments are in "invisible" text below.

Rant on!

The rich inventor was paranoid & brilliant and had experienced the raw anger of previous versions of AVA. It seems unreasonable that he would not either program in Asimov's "first law of robotics" (thou shalt not bring harm to a human being) or have a means of deactivation; a fail-safe measure. He knew he was sitting on a powder keg.
His "servant girl" was free to poison him, or kill him in his sleep anytime (and she was clearly capable of stabbing him) and take his key card.
He went into Ava's "cage" without precautions.
Ava did not notice camera planted in her area.
He knew all about the "good" guy's activities the night before, watching the tapes, but curiously did not account for the time spent re-coding or have a tape of it, nor did it occur to him to check for entries/changes.
With all of his security, accessing to the security coding was not protected.
I assume he had a pretty good idea how intelligent and resourceful his creation was.
With a building built like a prison and high tech everywhere, no biometrics, door pass security was just a card.
This guy was smart and paranoid (or very careful may be a better term), I just have a hard time believing all of the oversights.
What was his "end game" with AI? He was a guy into control and it did not seem he was even attempting to make the AI controllable at a core level (which is also needed to make it a useful "product").

The "good" guy couldn't just prick his finger to check for blood? How about "I pi$$ and $h!t,blow snot out my nose, and have ear wax I must be human!" That just seemed like gratuitous gore!

Rant off!

I still enjoyed it!

The one thing I don't want to miss is the sequel!

"AVA Goes to Washington"!!!:D

She could rock it!

Last edited:
skizzerflake

skizzerflake

I love how the profanity detector on this forum does things. That great sci-fi author Philip K was corrected to "Philip K lord helmet". And just WHAT is a lord helmet? According to Mr Google, it's this -

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw this movie on Thursday. I also liked it a lot.

I would rank in order:
1. Mad Max
2. Avengers Ultron
3. Ex Machina

And IMO none are better than Edge of Tomorrow (my favorite) or Interstellar. :D

Matt34

Matt34

Going to see Mad Max this weekend. I enjoyed both Avengers and Ex Machina, wife didn't care for the latter....

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

My guess is that Mad Max won't be beat this summer. It's epic end-to-end action, done really well. I didn't expect my wife to like it but she did. It did help that she's a Tom Hardy fan.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I watched it last Sunday and really liked it. The only thing I would liked if there were more robots inside parts shown. I mean there was but would have liked more. Yeah I'm a geek. I can't wait to see it again in surround. I had my headphones on for the first viewing.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Geeze, I had this film for a month now but I haven't cracked it yet. :oops:

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't want to spoil the movie, but my comments are in "invisible" text below.

Rant off!

I still enjoyed it!

The one thing I don't want to miss is the sequel!

"AVA Goes to Washington"!!!:D

She could rock it!
I do agree for most points. Slow plot, full of story holes. What supposed to be deeply philosophical, seemed like bad acting and bad plot.

sorry, but as HUGE fan of Azimov and Phillip K "Lord Helmet" :p books this movies goes to about same rating as Attack of Clones and Matrix DDR (Dance Dance Revolution)

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I liked it but need to watch it again. It struck me as a good psychological thriller which you don't see a lot in sci-fi these days.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally got around to watching it. I'm sorry I bought the BluRay. It would have been an excellent netflix viewing. I found that the movie was good and I didn't expect to see the twist in the end. That being said I don't think it's good enough to own.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Haven't seen it yet as it's been on a wait on Netflix forever.

But I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep many years after seeing Blade Runner and I didn't like the book at all. The movie wasn't like the book at all.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is now a free instant video for Amazon Prime members.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Expectations and results J the darndest things.

I liked this movie so I went through the thread, although I see now late to the party did I arrive. I saw a couple of comments like; I liked the Avengers but found some plot holes in Ex Machina, which I found funny. I decided to put my two bits in even if it’s after the topic cooled down. I saw it only because of the bump.

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

This is not a movie that deals directly in artificial intelligence, it, rather, appropriates the topic in order to tell the story of feminism. It is a deeply feminist movie, which is a plus in my book, I hope most of you can agree. Without this angle it makes little sense all together.

It deals in male principle (science) used for imprinting a certain role upon women. It is no coincidence that the “doll” is a beautiful female shape. It is a perfect way to depict the way men objectify women and create their roles in society - ie a woman being an "empty pretty shell that has no real purpose without a man being there to create one".

As I said, a lot doesn’t make sense without this view and makes perfect sense if you apply this view. The entire role and destiny of Caleb makes no sense, for example. He seems to be a traditionally positive type of hero – he can feel for a being even if artificial, if it shows enough of human characteristics, he wants it/her to be free, he wants to help her escape and be free or "free" so why must he die? If you see it as woman's effort to brake from all imposed roles, be they good as they may, it falls into place. And all of a sudden security of the building plays no importance for it is not a story of a perfect prison of near future.

So Nathan has a role he forces on his androids and it reminds me of the pre 20th century role of women fulfilling male fantasies and otherwise serving much like a slave.

Caleb has another place for a “woman” the one of his life companion, chosen one, devoted girlfriend and fateful monogamy ideal, the Romantic bullcrap where love is a means through which a woman is subdued into mother/child bearer type function.

So Caleb poses the question of whether it is possible to be truly free under the “good master” rule.

And this is why Caleb is killed in the end, why he had to go. This is a story of inherently female self-determination. I think self-determination should never be viewed on its own, once you see someone is trying to self-determine, you have to ask yourself against what, what are other possibilities and why should those other possibilities be less good?

In this case they are less good because they represent two traditional way of creating the female role in the society for them rather than women creating their own roles and places.

killdozzer

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This one was very entertaining but had a ton of plot holes IMO. Not an instant classic like many have said, but worth watching. He got Natalie Portman signed up for his next film.... :)

Expectations and results J the darndest things.

I liked this movie so I went through the thread, although I see now late to the party did I arrive. I saw a couple of comments like; I liked the Avengers but found some plot holes in Ex Machina, which I found funny. I decided to put my two bits in even if it’s after the topic cooled down. I saw it only because of the bump.

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

This is not a movie that deals directly in artificial intelligence, it, rather, appropriates the topic in order to tell the story of feminism. It is a deeply feminist movie, which is a plus in my book, I hope most of you can agree. Without this angle it makes little sense all together.

It deals in male principle (science) used for imprinting a certain role upon women. It is no coincidence that the “doll” is a beautiful female shape. It is a perfect way to depict the way men objectify women and create their roles in society - ie a woman being an "empty pretty shell that has no real purpose without a man being there to create one".

As I said, a lot doesn’t make sense without this view and makes perfect sense if you apply this view. The entire role and destiny of Caleb makes no sense, for example. He seems to be a traditionally positive type of hero – he can feel for a being even if artificial, if it shows enough of human characteristics, he wants it/her to be free, he wants to help her escape and be free or "free" so why must he die? If you see it as woman's effort to brake from all imposed roles, be they good as they may, it falls into place. And all of a sudden security of the building plays no importance for it is not a story of a perfect prison of near future.

So Nathan has a role he forces on his androids and it reminds me of the pre 20th century role of women fulfilling male fantasies and otherwise serving much like a slave.

Caleb has another place for a “woman” the one of his life companion, chosen one, devoted girlfriend and fateful monogamy ideal, the Romantic bullcrap where love is a means through which a woman is subdued into mother/child bearer type function.

So Caleb poses the question of whether it is possible to be truly free under the “good master” rule.

And this is why Caleb is killed in the end, why he had to go. This is a story of inherently female self-determination. I think self-determination should never be viewed on its own, once you see someone is trying to self-determine, you have to ask yourself against what, what are other possibilities and why should those other possibilities be less good?

In this case they are less good because they represent two traditional way of creating the female role in the society for them rather than women creating their own roles and places.

killdozzer
you can use [ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ] tags yourself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis