S

spence21989

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I'm new here, hope this is in the right place.

I saw an equalizer made by general electric at the thrift store for 10 bucks. I didn't right the down the model number so I know I can't ask specific questions, but, generally:

Would it help my sound system?

Is it possible (if the EQ is low quality) for it to be of no use or deteriorate sound quality?

Any experience with GE EQ's?

Any help is appreciated. TIA

Spencer

S

spence21989

Audiophyte
Oh, and it will be 5 bucks tomorrow because they are doing half off for the holidays.

Might just snag it and try it out. Worse comes to worse it goes in the dumpster

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Would it help my sound system?
Probably not. EQ can be a useful tool when used judiciously by someone who knows what they're doing. A unit worth about as much as a value meal at McDonalds from a thrift store in the hands of someone I can only assume wouldn't know how to use it effectively is another story entirely. Save the cash and buy yourself a Big Mac. Or a Whopper if that's your thing :p

S

spence21989

Audiophyte
Thanks, Steve.

Assuming I did know how to use an EQ (or could at least learn), would a quality one be worth investing in? Maybe at some point?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Assuming I did know how to use an EQ (or could at least learn), would a quality one be worth investing in? Maybe at some point?
Like I said, it can be a useful tool, but a lot depends on the situation. Personally I get good results with the auto-calibration system in my receiver (Audyssey MultEQ) which isn't their highest end product, but likely far superior to any outboard EQ you're likely to find at a thrift store.

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

If you want to get more advanced than that, you'll have to learn how to take measurements of your system; after all, there's not a lot of point in attempting to EQ if you don't know exactly where the problems are. You could look into something like REW if you've got interest.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Probably not. EQ can be a useful tool when used judiciously by someone who knows what they're doing. A unit worth about as much as a value meal at McDonalds from a thrift store in the hands of someone I can only assume wouldn't know how to use it effectively is another story entirely. Save the cash and buy yourself a Big Mac. Or a Whopper if that's your thing :p
Screw McD or BK, go to Five Guys or some place with good burgers.

Then again, screw the junk food altogether.

Buy it, learn how to use it and when you outgrow it, take it to a pawn shop and get your money back. Now treat yourself to a good burger for being much wiser on AV :).

S

spence21989

Audiophyte
Screw McD or BK, go to Five Guys or some place with good burgers.

Then again, screw the junk food altogether.

Buy it, learn how to use it and when you outgrow it, take it to a pawn shop and get your money back. Now treat yourself to a good burger for being much wiser on AV :).
I'm goin with this :D

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
It is quite possible that there could be some negative effects on sound quality but for $5 I agree with agarwalro.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
As for the OP, are you even sure you can connect any eq to your sytem? I'm not.

What do you have?

And, Five guys rule!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis