Epson EH-TW5200 - daytime viewing

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I use Epson EH-TW5200. I am very happy with this projector although I know it is barely an entry model. I can have my living room dark as a cave in the middle of the bright and sunny day so I have no problems even with blacks not being quite black. Cinema and Natural modes are really good.

I don’t even agree with most of the cons stated around the web in various reviews. I think the biggest con for this model is how dependent it is on the 90 degrees of projecting relative to the surface. If you use the tilt, the empty borders that are left behind with the image shrinking are too bright to be ignored.

I was using a BenQ W770ST before (but it wasn’t mine) and it had no problems with this. You could move image and tilt it however.

What I wanted to ask you for is some guidance in setting a good daylight mode for watching. Regardless of specs, this projector really IS bright enough to be used under daylight (if rays are not directly falling on the same surface, of course). But the colours are awful as mine is not set up in this "living room" or "dynamic" mode.

Now, I know these forums nurture the personal preference to a large extent, but I could use at least some good starting point. And don’t worry, I’ll try and pick up from there.

What would be basic settings for daylight viewing?

If you, at least, have a similar model UI don’t change that much. You could give me a hint and I’ll experiment on.

My problem is that after 30min. of adjusting hue, tint and colour temp. I totally lose my sense of real and it all looks the same.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I use Epson EH-TW5200. I am very happy with this projector although I know it is barely an entry model. I can have my living room dark as a cave in the middle of the bright and sunny day so I have no problems even with blacks not being quite black. Cinema and Natural modes are really good.

I don’t even agree with most of the cons stated around the web in various reviews. I think the biggest con for this model is how dependent it is on the 90 degrees of projecting relative to the surface. If you use the tilt, the empty borders that are left behind with the image shrinking are too bright to be ignored.

I was using a BenQ W770ST before (but it wasn’t mine) and it had no problems with this. You could move image and tilt it however.

What I wanted to ask you for is some guidance in setting a good daylight mode for watching. Regardless of specs, this projector really IS bright enough to be used under daylight (if rays are not directly falling on the same surface, of course). But the colours are awful as mine is not set up in this "living room" or "dynamic" mode.

Now, I know these forums nurture the personal preference to a large extent, but I could use at least some good starting point. And don’t worry, I’ll try and pick up from there.

What would be basic settings for daylight viewing?

If you, at least, have a similar model UI don’t change that much. You could give me a hint and I’ll experiment on.

My problem is that after 30min. of adjusting hue, tint and colour temp. I totally lose my sense of real and it all looks the same.
You'd need to calibrate your projector. They sell disks that do this. You should be able to do a couple custom settings to alternate.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You'd need to calibrate your projector. They sell disks that do this. You should be able to do a couple custom settings to alternate.
I did get a CD, I'll check it out. My original settings came from AV forums, they serve me well with a couple of my interventions.

thx
killdozer

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis