D

darkraver

Enthusiast
sub

Hi ggunnell,

will put the SVS to the MUSICAL test again tomorrow.
Overhere it is now already 10:47 in the evening so I do not wanna have some Cops around :D
Will write again really soon, I hope tomorrow !!

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
ggunnell said:
Take your time! Actually you should allow the speakers and capacitors some time to break in before critical comparisons -- 50-60 hours is, unfortunately, often quoted as a minimum for subwoofers. Yes, that means the sound will get better!

Althogh a post of your initial impressions on music reproduction would be appreciated, you will have an even better idea how the SVS performs after a week or two of listening to a variety of material. :)
See this thread and accompanying article about speaker break in.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13377

There is nothing is a subwoofer that needs broke in. It is a myth. (Or at least 50-60 hours is a myth. If you read the article it shows break in is done in a mere seconds when the first signal is sent through the speaker which is normally done at the factory.)

D

darkraver

Enthusiast
sub

Hi GGunnell,

Did read about the break in period of speakers / drivers and such stuff on the web real often but I do not really believe in it that much...Maybe I am wrong, do not know ??

A friend came over today with his possible new Rel R505.
He picked it up to test it at my place :D
It is a 500 Watt RMS Digital sub / single 12Inch driver ( www.rel.net )
( Rel's first ever digital amp - class D )
Will cost more than 2000 USD I believe in the USA.......?
Overhere I can buy this Rel sub for 1500 Euro so a lot of money.

The Rel really played well we were impressed but when we turned it off and put the SVS to the test the difference was so huge....... The SVS eats the Rel raw with home cinema stuff:)
The slam, attack, depth and the awesome and insane SPL at low frequencies that the SVS delivers is just a total different categorie. With the SVS you really feel like a KING...... You can hear and feel the REL needs to work so hard and is doing all it can while the SVS simply does all things so relaxed and in such an impressive / unbelievable way :rolleyes: The SVS plays so cool it makes you feel / believe it even can do so much more.
Actually it should be able to do so much more, cause at my place the gain is set to 1/4 and -8.5 DB on the receiver and I did not even feel some air movements coming out of the rear ports :confused:
It ain't fair in my opinion to compare the Rel with the SVS at all with Home Cinema Stuff.

When it comes up to music I am happy with my SVS too.
Though it is downfiring and the R505 is a frontfire sub my friend and I liked the SVS much better. We had expected the Rel perhaps could win cause we had heard / read so much Rel feedback especially with music reproductions but it did not convince us that much.
The SVS us so powerful, I cannot push the SVS hard cause the pressure in my livingroom simply gets too much, even my DVD player started to jam.
The SVS fills the room much better, simply plays so much deeper, louder and in my opnion faster and cleaner, it is simpy amazing.

The REL sure is a good piece but has no chance at all with home cinema stuff. With music stuff it is quite good but the SVS is way too much for it.

We are both addicted to SVS stuff now :D cause it is an insane piece.

D

darkraver

Enthusiast
subs

In Europe a curious little earthquake has occured.
Investigation by authorities showed that a certain forum member named " darkraver " bought an SVS subwoofer a few days prior to this quake.
During the test phase the owner of this machine seemed to have pushed it too hard so an awesome shockwave ruined the complete house.
Darkraver is still missing :D
Authorities are still investigating :rolleyes:
Authorities will soon discuss if these so called subwoofers need to be banned :mad:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis