D

darkraver

Enthusiast
Hi all,

Am interested in the EP500 Axiom or the SVS plus 2.
Did someone compare / hear both of them :)

D

darkraver

Enthusiast
svs

Hi Ggunnell,

My system:
Yamaha RXV2600
Yamaha MX830 for RF7
(at the moment I have a cheap DVD Player as I am waiting what will happen with blue ray etc, do not wanna pay lots of money and in some months there will be better and a different kind of discs etc. )

Front: Klipsch RF7
center: Klipsch RC7
at the moment Acoustic Research Surrounds ( 80HZ X-O AV Receiver) but will soon be replaced by Klipsch Surrounds ( RS7 or comparable ) that go down to 40 HZ.

Music: movies = 50/50
-------------------------
First I wanted to buy me the RSW12 Klipsch, played well but did not really go deep enough for me.
So I start reading some great tests about the SVS PLUS 2 as well as the Axiom EP500. According to for example Audioholics both are great subs.......

So I was wondering if someone did compare these 2 subs :D

D

darkraver

Enthusiast
subs

Hi all,

Did have an Acoustic Research subwoofer before ( 15 Inch - 300W RMS )
Played quite loud but not nice, it did not know when to SHUT UP.
A bit of a boom box, a bit like a pretender " I try and pretend I am a sub but I cannot make it ......"
Bass was not tight and slow reaction.....

Did please me in the beginning but started to irritate me after some months so I sold it again ( luckily for the same price )

My room is not big at all perhaps : 15x13 ( FT ) but I intend to move out soon so I want to have a sub that also does well in some bigger sized rooms.

I have heard several subs like Rel ( storm 5 ) and MJ Acoustics ( REF 1 ) must admit they do play nice and amazingly deep but they seriously miss the final kick, they simply miss a certain kind of impact and mean slam.

I want my new sub to:
-go deep with power and SPL, so not a sub with 120 DB on paper but once it goes down below 25HZ / 30HZ only 75 are left of them.
-deep bass
-awesome punch
-fast reaction speed
-knows when to shut up
-integrates with Klipsch RF7 easily !

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
darkraver said:
-deep bass
-awesome punch
-fast reaction speed
-knows when to shut up
-integrates with Klipsch RF7 easily !
I've read that the Axiom is a great sub and I don't doubt it. It won't go down to 14hz flat...I've heard it's more articulate than the SVS, but I haven't heard it. What I do know is that a single Plus sub is extremely articulate and visceral below 40hz. For HT applications I doubt you'll be disappointed and I have no complaints on musical capability. If you need the headroom for a big room then your decision is easy.

D

darkraver

Enthusiast
subs

Hi Ron,

Thx for your input :rolleyes:

I assume you have the PBplus ( single 12" driver ) ?
So if you are already so pleased with this SVS sub then the "plus 2" must be probably a hell of a product :cool:
-awesome power and monstrous impact and slam ?

Did you compare thus SVS sub with any other sub ?

---------------

Still I would love to know more from people who own this SVS plus 2 or Axiom or even better who compared both of them !!

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
darkraver said:
Hi Ron,

Did you compare thus SVS sub with any other sub ?

---------------

Still I would love to know more from people who own this SVS plus 2 or Axiom or even better who compared both of them !!
20-39+. I've compared it to many lesser subs and had a Velo DD15 here for about a month. Great sub, I really miss it. I actually preferred the SVS for most HT applications, though the Velo was awesome as well. Musically the Velo got the nod.

Doesn't help you with your Axiom question though. Take ggunnell's advice and explore the links. Lots of good flame going on there.

A

AD_LIB

Enthusiast
I ha ve had the EP500 for a few weeks now and i love it, it integrates REALLY well my B&W 805s. i didnt even spend much time playing with position and it still did a fantastic job at dissapearing into my setup. It plays low and has alot of headroom. The quality of the cabinet is top notch as well. I havent heard the SVS but when i bought my EP500 I was also considering the SVS ultra. I think the thing that swayed me was alot of the reviews saying how well the sub integrated into their reference systems, for both music and movies. Seriously though at this price point and with the performance levels of these subs its like choosing between and lambo and a ferreri you cant really go wrong.

J

jwp975

Enthusiast
I don’t think you could go wrong with either sub.

I have never heard the EP500 personally but what I have read, it sounds like a great sub. I do however own a PB12 plus/2 and I love it. It integrates well with my Klipsch KLF 20’s.

I don’t have anything to compare the sub too, for this is my first “real” sub (I use to own cheap Pioneer years ago). For many years I have just used my KLF 20’s for LFE. Lately I have been hungry for more LFE and the SVS filled me up.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

darkraver

Enthusiast
subs

All of you,

Thanks very much for all the help !!
Sure is difficult to decide which one will be best for me:(

pro for the Axiom is its smaller size
pro for the SVS is that it will probably play a bit deeper

Sometimes life ain't easy :D

F

freeflap

Audioholic Intern
darkraver said:
All of you,

Thanks very much for all the help !!
Sure is difficult to decide which one will be best for me:(

pro for the Axiom is its smaller size
pro for the SVS is that it will probably play a bit deeper

Sometimes life ain't easy :D
"again, the problem is choice"- architect from the matrix.

like most here, i've only heard one of the two, and i went with the EP500. it is surprizingly small. the bass it produces is plenty powerful and deep. you simply do not expect a box this size to put out that much deep bass. i really do NOT feel the need for anything deeper or louder. i have the amp set to "9 oclock" and the receiver auto EQ has it at -5db. even at that, it rattles the windows and makes my wife upset.

i think from a measurement standpoint, the SVS will go a little deeper and louder, but for most mortals, it is not relevant. most movie sound tracks with the really deep stuff is still playing in the 20-25 hz region (WOTW, LOTR, NEMO: darla fishtank scene, etc).

the decision for me, lay with the issue that the ep500 was good for both movies and music, where the svs was more a movie sub, based upon what i've read online in the forums

they are both superb subs, which is why there is so much debate as to which is better. this would not be the case if one were clearly superior.

my 2 cents.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
ggunnell said:
Yeah, darkraver, now that you've read up on this a little it's a tough choice.
And yes, that means both are good -- you won't be making a mistake either way.

From your experience and your descriptions of what you have heard and what you want to hear, you ARE going to hear the difference between the SVS Plus drivers and the Ultra driver. From SVS I'd go with the Ultra, it "starts" and "stops" more rapidly than the Plus driver.
Are you talking about the "old" Plus or "new" Plus driver? There was little to no audible difference up to reference levels when I demo'd the original Plus/2 and Ultra/2 at the Girard factory. Only when the music got to shaking the foundation did I notice what the Ultra was capable of. No towers (or ears for that matter) that I know of could keep up with the bass the Ultra/2's were putting out.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Are you talking about the "old" Plus or "new" Plus driver? There was little to no audible difference up to reference levels when I demo'd the original Plus/2 and Ultra/2 at the Girard factory. Only when the music got to shaking the foundation did I notice what the Ultra was capable of. No towers (or ears for that matter) that I know of could keep up with the bass the Ultra/2's were putting out.

My gawd, I just got a hernia looking at that thing! :eek:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
rjbudz said:
My gawd, I just got a hernia looking at that thing! :eek:
That's the Ultra driver, JIC.
EDIT: C'mon RJ, 3 more posts.
SheepStar

Last edited:
D

darkraver

Enthusiast
sub

My friends,

Checked both the tests of the EP500 as well as the SVS again at Audioholics again.
But when I compare the measurements it seems like once the EP500 handles more DB than the SVS at several frequencies and in the next graphic I see a complete different impression :confused:
The first graphic shows that the EP500 even reaches more DB at 20 / 30 HZ than the SVS ?? Or am I totally wrong :(

F

fsrenduro

Enthusiast
darkraver,

Where are you located, maybe someone near you has these subs you could listen to.

D

darkraver

Enthusiast
sub

My friends,

well do live in Europe so it was not so easy to get a possibility to compare both of them. So today I picked up my PB PLUS 2 in Belgium at M PRO.
Must admit that all the SVS people worldwide sure know what service is.
As I had to drive quite a distance we met in the middle, paid for it loaded it in and now it is standing in my living room..............
Luckily it went into my wife's Japanese shoe box "on wheels" ( Nissan Sunny )
3 words --> HUGE HUGE HUGE.........

Told my wife I would go for a small sub so when she saw that big box, she opened her mouth, could see some movements but no sound coming out of her mouth at all.

Now while being at home, I hear some silent words like:
-ugly
-monster
-boy boy boy what did you buy
-where to put that piece
-will put it on Ebay and sell it again
and so on.

Will connect it tomorrow, sure hope it sounds just like the size is :cool:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats, Darkraver. I'm sure you'll love it. Movies won't be the same any longer. Put it next to the couch, and call it an end table. Maybe the wife will let you get a matching pair for the other side of the couch. You can never have too many end tables. ;)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats Raver!

Be prepared to go on rattle search-and-destroy missions. Your new sub is going to make things clatter and clack that you didn't know would clatter and clack. :D

D

darkraver

Enthusiast
sub

My friends,

Connected the sub this morning.
Put in the power cord, sub cable, receiver set to 80Hz and it already sounds really great.

I am sure pleased with it but have to check where best to put it :D

Will write more on my impressions :p

D

darkraver

Enthusiast
Svs

My friends,

Ok have the sub running now.
It is an incredible and awesome piece.

Moved it into a corner and it did not even start to boom or whatever.
All my previous subs were so picky when placed into a corner, unbelievable, but this one does not have these nasty habits :cool:
I am really glad with this monster piece :D

Contacted Ron Stimpson yesterday ( on a Sunday ) and he did write back within 30 minutes or something like that and gave me some useful input. Wish more companies would have a customer service like that :(
Did send him some pictures of my living room and he recommended me to set the x-over to 80HZ, subsonic filter to 20HZ and to close one of the three ports. It even improved the sound while I was already so happy with the standard setting !!

so far my comments.....
pro:
-awesome deep bass, had some AR 15 Inch subs before but this SVS eats them for breakfast easily
-super tight and clean bass, never heard anything like this before......
-the 12.3 drivers are really extreme fast, they react very fast but most important they know when to shut up as fast too !!
-SPL is awesome, sub is set to 1/4 gain and -8.5 DB on the receiver and still the sounds is awesome :)
-auto power works fine
-the sub does not make any noises when switching on / off lights and other equipment at home
-do not hear any humming from the sub when I stop music, so this piece sure is quiet !

Contra:
-big, heavy
-may cause structural damage to your place and to your ears, serious this piece is insane ( positive way of course ;) )
-when buying this piece then please spend time with your woman / girl friend after that cause most of them will not like what they see........

I am really happy with this PB Plus 2, it even works so much better than I had hoped it would do. It cost me a fortune but now I am happy and it does all the things I had hoped it would do twice as good..........

Again, thanks for all the help that all of you gave me :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis