entry level bookshelf speakers

D

DaveB777

Audiophyte
I'm looking for value in a pair of bookshelf speakers to serve as fronts in my first HT system. I plan on adding a sub soon and eventually shifting the bookshelf pair to surrounds after purchasing a center and larger fronts. They will be powered by a Denon 1612 in a 12'x15' room for 50% movies and 50% music. I'm hoping to stay close to $300 for the pair.

I've auditioned:
1) Bowers and Wilkins 686B's - these sounded aweseome but outside my price range
2) Definitive Technology ProMonitor series - I liked the 800's and they seem to have pretty good reviews from a lot of sources
3) Energy CB-10's - I didn't like these as much as the ProMonitor 800's. They didn't have as good a soundstage and the highs were a bit sharp in my opinion.

I've read a lot about and am considering the following in this price range:

4) PSB Alpha B1's - seem to have a ton of good reviews as an excellent value in the lower price range. I can't find anywhere nearby to audition these.
5) Paradigm Atom Monitor - The v.6 is not the most recent version but can be had on sale right now and reviews have placed it alongside the Alpha b1's
6) Pioneer SP-BS41-LR - read several good reviews and is well within budget

I know this kind of choice boils down to personal preference, but I'd appreciate any feedback on the subject. I'm most interested in the Def Tech Promonitor 800's vs the PSB Alpha B1's unless you want to convince me otherwise.

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
Huge liquidation sale!

This is what I would recommend with the budget you are working with. About another $100 on the top, so $400, however these will blow any on the list away (IMO of course). List price was a rediculous $1,299.

Crossovers are all air core, poly caps. Designed well.
Drivers are very similar to GR Research A/V Kit.
However, the Cabinets are awesome looking. Mirror black finish, designed to look like a Pedestal. 3/4" MDF walls, 1 1/4" top/bottom.

Every review I have seen has been glowing.

If these are anything like the stuff I own designed by the same guy (Dannie Richie), these will image extremely well and have a smooth neutral sound.

D

DaveB777

Audiophyte
Thanks for the recommendation zeiglj01. That's a steal; I hadn't previously considered these speakers because they were out of my price range. They have rave reviews, but my only concern is that my Denon 1612 won't adequately power them. I read one review from hometheaterreview.com that claimed they would not perform well with an entry level receiver:

Is the denon 1612 considered entry level? Its runs 75watts per channel. My understanding is that if its not powering other channels (which it won't be for a while) that it may provide more than that.

In your price range, I would aim higher than the Pro 800 speakers.
I would look at the Definitive Studio Monitor 350 or 450 speakers.

I would take the Definitive Studio Monitors, over the Alpha speakers

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the recommendation zeiglj01. That's a steal; I hadn't previously considered these speakers because they were out of my price range. They have rave reviews, but my only concern is that my Denon 1612 won't adequately power them. I read one review from hometheaterreview.com that claimed they would not perform well with an entry level receiver:

Is the denon 1612 considered entry level? Its runs 75watts per channel. My understanding is that if its not powering other channels (which it won't be for a while) that it may provide more than that.
The Denon 1612 will handle the speakers - the Denon is not a wimp.
The Denon is also efficient in 5.1 surround mode, the receiver will
still give you 71 watts in 5.0 mode. A lot of receivers rated higher in
watts, tend to be less efficient. In 2 channel mode, the Denon has
good power.
Denon AVR-1612 A/V Receiver HT Labs Measures | Home Theater

D

DaveB777

Audiophyte
Thanks zeiglj01, for the link on the Denon. At the new egg price, I'm going to pull the trigger on the Studio Monitor 350's. I appreciate your help.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
The new Arx A1b bookshelfs will be available pretty soon. Great bang for the buck bookshelf for under $500 IMO. One of the few lower priced planar tweeter speakers and XBL2 woofers.

Arx

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis