Enter to Win: TOSlink or S/PDIF Cable from Impact Acoustics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anagoge

Anagoge

Junior Audioholic
1. I've never been able to tell a sound difference between the two formats, so I don't have a preference
2. At the moment, I don't use either, and only use HDMI
3. I don't have a preference
4. My equipment has both, in general

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
1) What type of digital connection do you prefer? TOSlink or S/PDIF?
I typically prefer to use coaxial digital audio. While I have no issues with either, I have some cable runs that are 20+ feet and terminating coax is a lot easier than optical. I also run the digital audio through a matrix switcher and to multiple surround locations. Coaxial easily can be switched via a standard A/V matrix switcher, optical can be damn near impossible to matrix.

2) What is the connection type you use with your system? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?
Both... But mainly coaxial.

3) Which connection sounds the best? TOSlink or S/PDIF?
Neither, as far as I can tell they sound identical.

4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?
Most have both, but my PS3 only has Toslink (dammit!)

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
Either

2) What is the connection type you use with your system? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?
S/PDIF

I don't know. I have no comparison to use, I've always used S/PDIF

4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?
My audio equipment(DVD player and receiver) have both

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
S/PDIF
S/PDIF
same really...
both

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic

1 - TOSlink
2 - Used to be both but migrating to TOSlink
3 - Flip of a coin
4 - Both

808htfan

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
1)S/PDIF
2)both
3)I don't know/can't tell
4)both

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:

Answers:
1) S/PDIF - better connection, plug stays put
2) Both
3) S/PDIF - Sounds smoother in my system, more full in midrange and bottom
4) Both

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
1) Neither one, having Denon equipment I prefer DenonLink 3 for all digital connections.
2) I use both throughout the system: from CD , DVD1, STB.
For the DVD2 I use DenonLink
3) I can not tell the difference.
4) All components have both, plus my Denon univ.player and Denon receiver
have extra DenonLink 3 connection.

V

Vanhoecke

Junior Audioholic
TOSlink, S/PDIF Contest Entry

Contest Questions:
TOSLink

2) What is the connection type you use with your system? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both? Neither, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
:eek:

3) Which connection sounds the best? TOSlink or S/PDIF? Can't say.:confused:

4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both? Building a HT which will have a Denon 4306 and plan on using a TOSLink.

B

brucewoodington

Audioholic Intern
No preference.

Both.

S/PDIF, by a nose.

Both.

F

Fierce Mice

Audioholic Intern

Contest Questions:
1) What type of digital connection do you prefer? TOSlink or S/PDIF? I prefer TOSlink, as that's what my equipment / wish list equipment uses.
2) What is the connection type you use with your system? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both? TOSlink
3) Which connection sounds the best? TOSlink or S/PDIF? I've never had the opportunity to perform a critical listening session to compare the two, but both sound superb.
TOSlink

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlrepp

Enthusiast
I use captstarsnstripe's glass toslink on both my digital connections. I had heard that glass was better than the plastic ones so I thought I'd give it a try. I was just using an rca video cable not a "real" digital cable. I noticed a significant improvement in hearing a clearer dialogue from the center speaker. I've never tried any other digital cable but am open to alternatives.

W

wingzz

Audiophyte
TOSLink

TOSLink

Both sound the same

My equipment has both types

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Impact Acoustics wants you to win!

Impact Acoustics is giving away a SonicWave TOSlink Interconnect (1m, 2m or 3m) OR SonicWave S/PDIF Interconnect (3ft, 6ft or 12ft) – winner’s choice to three (3) eligible forum members. This prize is valued at up to $98.99!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
1)I prefer TOSlink....easier to manipulate behind the receiver.
2) I use both types with my system.
3) I can't notice any difference between the two.
4) My receiver accepts both types. I run S/PDIF from my DVD player and TOSlink from my sat box.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
S/PDIF. More secure, robust, and the bandwith specifications listed for multichannel/stereo digital processing isn't typically an issue at all.

Both. I use S/PDIF on my DVD Player, TOSlink on my PS2, and my Pioneer Elite PD-65 uses both, although it's more A/B comparison right now.

Honestly, S/PDIF sounds better to me. There seems to be less compression, more expansive soundstaging, and overall less grainyness.

My DVD player has S/PDIF only, my PD-65 has TOSlink and S/PDIF as well as analog output, my SACD player uses analog and TOSlink (I use only analog Multichannel), the PS2 uses TOSlink, and that's about it :D

jasoneuc

jasoneuc

Audioholic Intern
S/PDIF (only because the connection is more secure)

Both.

No difference.

Rotel receiver - 2 of each inputs. Integra DVD player - both outputs. HTPC - S/PDIF output

K

kruzmisl

Audiophyte
[

4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both?[/I]

1. S/PDIF. Haven't tried TOSlink, but have the capability to do so.
2. HDMI when used in my home theatre. Easy to connect especially through walls. Only issue is still using a Yamaha 2600 as home base with an Adelphia/motorola cable box. So I use S/PDIF for the sound and Composit.
3. Have not tried TOSlink.
4. Both

N

nhpm510

Audioholic
Impact Acoustics is giving away a SonicWave TOSlink Interconnect (1m, 2m or 3m) OR SonicWave S/PDIF Interconnect (3ft, 6ft or 12ft) – winner’s choice to three (3) eligible forum members. This prize is valued at up to $98.99!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
TOSlink

Both

Sound same to me!

Both

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern
1) What type of digital connection do you prefer? TOSlink or S/PDIF? Doesn't really make much difference to me. I have used more TOSlink in the past.

2) What is the connection type you use with your system? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both? Both

3) Which connection sounds the best? TOSlink or S/PDIF? I don't think it really makes much difference.

4) What types of connection does your audio equipment have? TOSlink, S/PDIF or both? Both

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
1. S/PDIF (Toslink not always mechanically secure)
2. both
3. Can't tell
4. both

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis