Enter to Win: Subwoofer from Axiom Audio

What is your number one consideration when shopping for loudspeakers?

• Great sound

Votes: 149 93.1%
  • Latest technology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color goes with the furniture

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Able to audition them in my home

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Right size for the room

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other (please describe below)

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
PC2

PC2

Audiophyte
Total Surround Package

I had to go with OTHER or Total Surround Package. I have heard many great sounding speakers, but when you hear the total surround package it has to match. I can't tell you how many top brands have poor surrounds,centers or subs.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
I voted for great sound. What else is more important?

Nick Boros

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Great Sound, No doubt 'bout it!

After all, it is called loudspeaker which supposedly means a device that converts electrical signals into (great/beautiful/magnificent) sound. Anything else may be secondary (look, feel, etc. etc.) I wouldn't buy a speaker just because it's pretty...If i like the sound so much, even if it is in black n white stripes like a zebra, i'll take it home with me...;)

F

fredejo

Junior Audioholic
sound matters most of course. once u have it down to 2-3 brands that sound the best to you, then its time to pick them apart for build quality, looks, etc...

A

akline

Audiophyte
best sound for the money, if I want good looks I'll buy furniture!

I

iq513

Audiophyte
Yup, it's the sound. I think buyers base their decisions more on how well the features match the needs of the consumer.

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
Number one consideration when shopping for speakers

Question: What is your number one consideration when shopping for loudspeakers? The poll aside, my normal no-brainer response would have been great sound. However, "great sound" is so subjective, depending on one's perception, taste, culture, and knowledge. On the one hand, who doesn't know people who appreciate "great sound" and swear by their cars' custom-installed speakers with gut-thumping subwoofers, on-wall "life-style" satellite speakers, TV's built-in stereo speakers, or generic desk-top computer speakers? On the other hand, what audiophiles can say with no small -- perhaps equal? -- amount of subjectivity that they can hear high-end speakers' "neutrality," "warmth," "coloration," etc.? This is not to say that either camp is right, wrong, or better -- which is besides the point -- but that what constitutes "great sound" is in the ears of the beholder, just like beauty is to the eyes. In the poll, I chose "latest technology" -- for the end goal of great sound, of course -- because I believe that meaningful technological advances in speaker design, materials, and construction can raise the bar of what we can expect great sound to be, regardless of whether one's personal cup of tea is Bose or Wilson Audio.

Last edited:
H

h0mestar

Audiophyte
My vote is for great sound, but it is also important that the speakers look nice and integrate with my other furnishings. No way my wife would ever approve of an ugly speaker, no matter how good it sounds.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
I also voted for great sound, although their are several other factors. Best bang for the buck and spouse approval factor would be close behind. However, it would not even be considered if it didn't sound great.

D

daytonave

Audiophyte
Sq

No question -- the sound quality trumps all others. Tactile feel/response would be a close second for me. I love feeling a subwoofer as well as hearing it.

R

rennikc

Audiophyte
Sound Sound and more Sound

I've been in many a home theater and audio video demonstration rooms and have heard cheap speakers blow away the expensive brands. The sound is what I am buying, I don't care how polished, how big, and what brand, if it doesn't sound good.....I'm not buying. It's like buying a Lamborghini with a Pinto engine.......it might look good but it's not going to perform.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
Great sound comes first. Big, small who cares. I will give a nod to looks as a consideration AFTER sound. My room looks like an audio store sometimes with all the audio equipment all over the place...

C

chancey

Audiophyte
Great sound is key, of course, but latest technology can also be an important consideration. Technological advances often yield improvements in sound quality: e.g., DSP-controlled subs.

C

ceberle

Audiophyte
I can't imagine another consideration besides sound. If the speakers match the room, the physical size will be right. Aesthetics? It's pretty hard to buy ugly speakers.

Chris

A

AminCan

Audiophyte
Speakers

How I love sound. It's visual and enveloping quality removes all...

Sound--sure would like to try some salksound speakers.

H

hogfan

Audioholic Intern
After 5-years in my new house I'm ready to replace my 11 year old JBL CF120, 4yr. S-center, 25yr.Bose 301 speakers (hush), 7yr. Cerwin Vega LW120 Sub. I have a very LARGE room to fill, 23'x30', W/vaulted ceiling. I will go to a 7.1 system when purchasing. I need speakers that can fill my room without straining. The JBL's just dominate the other speakers & I want to match all speakers now. My Onkyo TX-ds575x will have to last 1-more year, it has been rode hard & works great.;) I am working on puchasing the 80-500 system & would like to have 2-subs.:rolleyes: PICK ME TO WIN.:p

T

toddicon

Audiophyte
Great sound is the most important thing no?

Great sound is totally the most important thing in my opinion. Additionally I would wonder what us Audioholics would prefer in our speaker systems. That is unless your one of those lucky few who can drop 10k+ on the absolutely perfect system that has all the warmth and clarity money can buy.

In other words if we had to choose between warmth or brightness, clarity or depth, nice mids without deep base, what we would choose. What quality of sound are we most willing to let slide a bit?

For me if I had to, I would have to say I favor clarity over warmth, I’m not saying I like super bright systems just that I love hearing the full sonic range, from those diamonds clinking on ice highs smoothly down to the *** shaking bass and every little note in between. Sometimes, to my ear those super natural sounding warm systems end up feeling a little austere. Sort of like French Burgundy vs Oregon Pinot. (The French burgundy being the more restrained and austere)

I am actually at the moment looking to purchase a new home theatre sound system because my current system is starting to feel the strain, my sub drivers just blew out. The ideal system for me is a 5.1 surround sub 3k that has an equal finesse for movies and dialogue as well as the depth for rock and roll.

These Axiom systems are getting so much rave review their hard to ignore.

T

toddicon

Audiophyte
Yeah great sound sure, but what else do we want from out systems?

Great sound is totally the most important thing in my opinion. Additionally I would wonder what us Audioholics would prefer in our speaker systems. That is unless your one of those lucky few who can drop 10k+ on the absolutely perfect system that has all the warmth and clarity money can buy.

In other words if we had to choose between warmth or brightness, clarity or depth, nice mids without deep base, what we would choose. What quality of sound are we most willing to let slide a bit?

For me if I had to, I would have to say I favor clarity over warmth, I’m not saying I like super bright systems just that I love hearing the full sonic range, from those diamonds clinking on ice highs smoothly down to the *** shaking bass and every little note in between. Sometimes, to my ear those super natural sounding warm systems end up feeling a little austere. Sort of like French Burgundy vs Oregon Pinot. (The French burgundy being the more restrained and austere)

I am actually at the moment looking to purchase a new home theatre sound system because my current system is starting to feel the strain, my sub drivers just blew out. The ideal system for me is a 5.1 surround sub 3k that has an equal finesse for movies and dialogue as well as the depth for rock and roll.

These Axiom systems are getting so much rave review their hard to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis