Enter to Win: Roomate HTPC from VidaBox!

What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC? Explain your choices below.

• Price – doesn’t fit my budget

Votes: 54 38.8%
  • Stability – fear of crashes

Votes: 25 18.0%
  • Style – WAF, doesn’t look nice

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Size – Too big for my living room / system won’t fit

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Can’t see a demo of the system in store / don’t like buying online

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Afraid that it is difficult to install and/or use

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • Afraid of lack of support

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • Afraid the manufacturer is here today but might be gone tomorrow

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Umm… What’s a media center/HTPC?

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other - please explain below

Votes: 48 34.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scj99

Enthusiast
If I had the money I would probably buy one. Other things are higher on the list of importance right now though.

G

gsuen

Enthusiast
HTPC entry

HTPC's seem like a big hassle. What happens when new tech comes out - video cards, video formats, etc.

G

gsuen

Enthusiast
HTPC entry

HTPC's seem like a big hassle. How do you upgrade?

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Price – doesn’t fit my budget
Stability – fear of crashes
Size – Too big for my living room / system won’t fit

That about sums it up. To add another device (that runs on window) for around $2k that I have no room for has kind of turned me away from HTPC's. But I would change my mind in a hurry if I won. :rolleyes:

dwayland

dwayland

Audioholic
Roomate HTPC from VidaBox!

Honestly, the main reservation too for me has been price. When I can put 5X the ammout of music and recorded TV shows on my PC via TV tuner card for about a quarter of the price that I have seen other media centers go for, then for me the choice is pretty easy.

"But", I will say this. If prices come down, then I would be VERY interested in purchasing one, or more, especially with the "Roomate's" compact design. With a 2 story home and three kids and only ONE room that contains a DVR, having the option of a smaller, more user friendly media center that the whole family could use sounds like a wonderful thing to me. My wife is also game, especially if you can make one in pink.:eek: (Sorry, she told me to type that.)

Oh, and one last thing. I just noticed that included in the accessories is a cable splitter. This reminds me of why I went to renting a DVR from our cable provider and moving away from using my PC(Windows Media Center) to record shows in the first place. I did this bacause I HAD to use thier cablebox/DVR so it would decode all of my subscribed channels. My Media Center/TV tuner card "Could NOT" decode this information and I was left only being able to record the channel that was currently selected and output from the cable box to my Media Center PC. I would also lose ALL of my digital channels once the signal was split. I fear that I would once again run into this problem no matter what media center I would purchase in the future. If I am wrong and the "Roomate HTPC", can in fact decode ALL of my service providers channels then that would make a HUGE differance.

------edit------

After cooresponding with VidaBox it sounds like there is an easy workaround to my whole cablebox, channel decoding problem. Cool! Figured there had to be, but nothing worked with my current TV tuner card. So I guess, then my only reservation comes down to cost per unit. Especially since I would want two or more.

Last edited:
S

satraini

Enthusiast
Huh

Until recently, I never considered an HTPC. However, I recently purchased a Mitsubishi WD-52631, 1080P DLP. Unfortunately, the only way the TV upconverts to 1080P is through a PC connection. I started think how the heck I'm going to hook up a PC to my TV to take advantage of the upconversion. Unless I had a laptop, there is no way this will happen with the location of my existing PC. Without knowing about an HTPC, I hadn't looked into it before until now. This option for my system sounds great!

S

spaced

Audiophyte
Other:
I think this technology needs to mature a bit yet. Others have mentioned similar concerns
there's a lack of standards,
I don't know enough about Linux, and I don't trust Windows,
One day I will probably build myself one, after the various components have been developed a bit more
and finally, it's a lot of work and fuss just to watch TV. Discs are fine by me right now.

K

kens

Enthusiast
There are a number of reasons I am not in the market for a HT PC at this time:
1) cost
2) Availability of premium content via the net
3) high speed networking difficulty

LaZyScV

Audiophyte
Other:

I do not have one because I have yet to win one . . . and I do not have any thing that will justify the price tag.

B

bflat

Enthusiast
My major problem with HTPC is the future of the functionality. With constantly changing hi-def video formats, digital cable and sattilite, and propriatary encription formats, it is far too likely that an expensive HTPC will not be able to be used with the next product update.

bflat

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
I haveto say I won't consider one now because of stability issues. I already have problems with my Harmoney Remote resetting, my cable box crashes a couple times a week... these things should be appliances. When I turn my stove on it works, I don't have to think about my refrigerator, and I don't want to have to worry if my TV is going to get a virus or work properly today. Yeah, its a jaded outlook, but an hoest one.

N

Nuke

Enthusiast
Will it handle the formats I throw at it?

My issue with an HTPC is not knowing whether or not it will work with the format(s) I'll be sending to it in a few months/years.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
AndrewLyles said:
Yeah, its a jaded outlook, but an hoest one.
That's funny!:D :D :D :D :D

I too feel like I have a hoest outlook on life sometimes!

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern
Htpc

I would love to have one, but I just don't think the technology has evolved enough for me to spend money on something like this yet. Also, I currently have 3 Tivo's and 2 HD Dual Tuner DVR boxes from my cable company.

Also one other concern is fan noise. Although it is quiet, how much ventilation would you have to provide in order for it to stay cool?

Like I said, I don't think it has quite matured enough for me to spend the money on one.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
Haven't cpnsidered one mostly because I don't want to spend my life programming something jus to listen to music. I want plug n play!

iamthedruman

iamthedruman

Audiophyte
I think everyone has made good points regarding HTPCs. At the moment, while the technology has come a long way, it still has a ways to go regarding reliability and ease of use.

The other issue in my books is the constantly changing technology on which HTPCs are based. I worry that by buying one, I'll be left in the wake of changing rules on DRM and HDMI, etc...

Just my $0.02.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Well it seems I have similar reservations as to why I have not or will not purchase (in the near future anyhow) a HTPC. If Hollywood and the Execs. that push for DRM would just realize the cap they are putting on the market then maybe we would be able to get over this DRM hump or thorn. Why put out that type of money to be able to record maybe 10% of what is out now. Let's hope the future gives way to some foresight into the DRM dilemma we are currently faced with.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I am in the process of researching what set-up will make a good HTPC. I recently got a high-def projector, so looking forward to testing that out. I'll build one when I get around to it (unless I win this one :D :D )

J

jamesmriley2003

Audiophyte
My biggest reservation is price. I haven't really had a chance to demo an HTPC, none of the installers in my area have them. It would be great that I wouldn't have to stream my music from my computer with the music bridge. I think it would be awesome to have one though.

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
HTPC Reluctance

I voted for the following:
Price – doesn’t fit my budget;
Stability – fear of crashes; and
Afraid that it is difficult to install and/or use.

Price: At least for me, a HT component has to be reasonably affordable, period. This is a bottom-line criterion.

Stability: I have regular IT issues as it is at work, a problem I would not want to contend with at home as part of my HT. Any HT component should be reliable performance-wise.

User-friendliness: It has taken me several years -- and more than a few headaches -- to overcome the ins-and-outs of HT use. Don't get me wrong: I would love to own a HTPC, but the thought of having to master the ins-and-outs of a HTPC seems daunting, if only because I have never used one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis