Enter to Win: PB10-NSD from SVS!

What do you think the best two methods of achieving smooth in-room bass response are?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ironhead1230

Audiophyte
The first and most important step is to choose a subwoofer that has a response that will mesh well with your room acoustics and main speakers. The best sub to match with full range main speakers may not mesh well with bookshelf speakers. Next is the placement and choice of crossover point. Then room treatment and lastly EQ.

-Mike

M

M4P

Audiophyte
Placement definitely

I agree, placement definitely makes a big difference. Funny one of the choices was to turn it all the way up. I don't think my neighbors would like that :D

Also important is to not have the speaker fall out of the enclosure, which mine keeps doing

D

df4801

Banned
placement is key, must match the room .
auto eq is also a big help to make the best of what you have.

S

sandtrap

Junior Audioholic
Room placement is first, everything else is secondary

C

clayman88

Junior Audioholic
As many have mentioned before, proper placement is key with any subwoofer. Granted the low frequencies aren't directional, but IMO you have to be aware of other items nearby that could cause rattling or distortion or even fall off the wall and bang you on the head! As far as an EQ, its crucial to have a quality EQ of some kind so that your sub is playing the right frequencies.

B

Berty52

Audioholic Intern
I think that proper location and calibration are the most important steps in setting up your subwoofer. Try many places and choose the best.

M

metallicafreak

Audiophyte
Placement is VERY important IMO but you also need the eq to tame the pits and spikes.

SVS RULES!
FREAK!

D

DeJaVu1127

Enthusiast
I think that having mutiple subwoofers and having the proper placement helps the best in acheiving a smooth bass response in a room.

R

rower8899

Enthusiast
Explanation

Simple Physics! Every room has nodes that will cause certian frequencies to drop out. The opposite is also true and of course there are standing waves. So placement to minimize the affects of the room are most important followed by tuning the sub with an EQ to flatten the peaks! Bumping the valleys is OK to a point, but if you are sitting or measuring in a node, you will blow the speaker or shutdown the amp before you will flatten out the valley.:D

S

snock

Audiophyte
I would even say i plan to use the top 3 answers plus an extra. 2 subs, well placed (biggest differences) and EQ'd (fine tuning). They will be infinite baffle subs which i think is also important for sound quality. I might rank this as a tie for 1st best way to get great sound. The difference between conventional box and infinite baffle is amazing and tough to believe before you hear it first hand. So i guess i have 4 ciritcal requiremnts for my sub.:)

B

branfam

Audiophyte
Room

proper placement is a no-brainer. set in the right postition, smooth response will be ideal at the listening spot. :)

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
I believe proper placement would affect the most. Eq'ing can help but normally only for one seating position.

M

Martiad3

Audioholic
I'd have to say proper placement in the room is really key; in the corner, directly in front, behind stuff, etc...it all can change the way the bass is heard.

Also, the room shape itself has a big effect. I nice, rectangular room is definitely going to sound better (or at least easier to find the proper placement in) than irregular areas (like my apartment with no doors and several rooms attached to the listening area).

D

daman4799

Junior Audioholic
Guess I voted for the two most people did. Sub placement has more to do with quality sound as long as the sub is big enough for the room.

Good luck to all, Daman:D

J

jwhatti

Audiophyte
Like everyone else, placement and EQ. I've noticed with my old MTX sub, that it sounds like different subs on where I put it. I do not have an auto EQ, but I would figure that would help level the sub out.

B

bflat

Enthusiast
Proper sub placement is very important to eliminate the gross problems of standing waves. I would be repeating everyone else to elaborate more.

I also think that depending on your room size and configuration (large, open, and irregular for me) having multiple subs is important to get a smooth and even bass response everywhere in the room, not just the sweet spot. My theater room seats six in 2 rows and it is very difficult to get equal bass response in all seats with a single woofer. I just can't afford a second sub just yet.

bflat

W

Wakefield103

Audiophyte
My vote would be proper placement or multiple subs if the room is large and placement is an issue.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Placement is a key factor. Generally speaking, a corner placement will reinforce bass, but with uneven output. Using more than one subwoofer will tend to even out the response throughout the listening area.

B

borgunit

Audiophyte
Placement means nothing after the sub is set up correctly. You may get a general feel for direction, but the nature of subsonic levels makes it moot for the most part. Adding a sub can help negate the "feeling" of direction of a sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis