Enter to Win: PB10-NSD from SVS!

What do you think the best two methods of achieving smooth in-room bass response are?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rschleicher

Audioholic
After placement of the sub, I'd say the next most important issue is room treatment, to break up room resonant nodes. Although these can be partially controlled via sub placement, and possibly via EQ, there may still be a need for bass traps to break up standing waves, etc.

Thanks for having the contest!

K

kens

Enthusiast
Its all about getting the best response for your room. This leads to proper placement and EQ for even response across the room and frequencies.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
Well, to contribute to the inevitable Department of Redundancy Department in answering this one =o) ...

No surprises here. To me placement is critical, EQ can be used to help tame those unruly room characteristics, and of course room treatments can be a huge help as well. One more vote for the big three.

S

SKINNER

Junior Audioholic
I feel the best way for the average user to experience smooth bass response is through proper placement of 2 (or more) subs.

B

blkgto

Audiophyte
The best two methods are proper placement, teamed with careful EQ.

Other methods - such as additional subs - can make things even better, but are not required to get exceptional bass. For most rooms out there, good single + EQ will deliver the rumbly goods!

F

fredejo

Junior Audioholic
as with any speaker proper placement is very important. the auto eq is a great feature, not everyones room is perfect. its a great selling point, especially for noobs.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
If I could afford it, I think I could be happy with the proper placement of two subs first, then E.Q. whenever I was able.

D

Duffman-OOHYEAH

Junior Audioholic
Just like any B&M store, it's all about location.

T

treetownal

Audioholic Intern
room placement is head and shoulders above the other factors. An EQ system may also help

X

Xcel

Audiophyte
If I win a second sub, it will help to smooth out the dips in my room.:)

V

VicAjax

Audioholic Intern
i picked auto EQ and other, the other being room treatment, which i think is the single most important factor in beating the boom.

placement of the sub definitely makes a big difference, but i've heard some pretty amazing things accomplished with EQ and digital room correction.

plus, even though i didn't vote for it, the smoothest, most articulate, well-balanced bass (for music)... in my experience... comes from full-sized floorstanders with no sub at all. but of course, no room for that in my place (or wallet).

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
I voted for proper placement and multiple subs.

My original plan was to get a PB-12 plus/2 now I am moving my theater from the spare bedroom to the living room and have changed preference to (2) of the tall plus cylinders. A little more loot but I think the having placement options are more important than the cash.

T

tnilsson

Audiophyte
I think proper placement is imperative. But since all listening rooms have one acoustic problem or another, proper placement is unlikely to be enough. Thus, the addition of an equalizer seems like the best option for obtaining good bass. Let's face it, most people are not going to invest in a lot of room treatments because they take up a lot of room, are expensive, are unsightly, there are many options and not all of them will work for everyone, etc. And a second sub is usually also very expensive and may not be the answer either. So proper placement and an eq. seem like the most cost effective approach.

raneil

Audiophyte
subwoofers

The placement of subwoofers has been a rather controversial subject among the so called experts. What I have observed is that most agree that 2 to 4 subwoofers can improve sound over a single one and that placement is critical. However, again "placement" is again a highly controverted subject. Some argue for and against set placement in parts of a room or where it best sounds or even the very height of a subwoofer. Sound waves, sound cancelation and speaker bloat and distortion are all cited as reasons dor the various positions. Don't ask me what I personally think, I'm still experimenting.

T

talannar

Junior Audioholic
Proper placement of the subwoofer is key. I used the crawling method to begin, and then fine tuned it by making small shifts and checking them with an SPL meter.

To smooth out the peaks and nulls that are inherent in most rooms an eq, like a Behringer, does the job nicely.

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
Picking the right sub for the job, Placement and Room EQ. In that order.

B

bigpow

Audioholic Intern
Voted for #1 & #2

Voted for #1 & #2

Reason:
#1 Subs are meant to be put in the corner
#2 Proper subs can go low but tight

I currently have a lousy sub and I deliberately put it in the center of the room, to make it less sloppy & boomy.
Must benice to have a nice sub like SV Sound's in the corner of the room :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis