Enter to Win: Outdoor Speakers from Aperion Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Since the upgrade at the panel would be impressive 60 " or more plasma, the sound stage would have to be equally impressive so I would like to experience the 7.2 set up I already have the two thanks to the sub builders and their diy threads right here on AH, twin kappas, and the room for the set up is huge, I believe that I should get the most out of it, I have never had anything but two towers and all the wiring is already in place for the 7.2 system , so thats it then. Two fronts and a center (never had a center) two sides, two rears and the subs, can I have a rear center also ?? I put a 12 awg wire there just in case that would be a what, 8.2 set-up is there such a thing ?:rolleyes:

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
5.1 bookshelf sytem with all 5 being identical.

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
Contest Question: Pretend you are looking to purchase your first or second flat panel TV, which of the following speaker configurations would you consider? Why or why not?

* In wall 5.1 system
* Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system
* Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub
* Smallest possible on wall solution
* Wireless surrounds or wireless system
* Other?
I am currently using a 7.1 system with front towers and large wall mount surrounds. But I also have a 61" DLP TV, so the big speakers are not an issue.

If I were to get a flat panel TV, I would want to wall mount it along with nice large wall mountable speakers for the front 3 speakers and smaller surrounds that would have the same tone but be easier to mount. Also a smaller sub that could be hidden better would also be in the works.

morrone

morrone

Enthusiast
Sign me up. :)

* In wall 5.1 system - Possibly, but more likely to go with normal box speakers for sound quaility, placement flexibility, and changeability.
* Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system - Yes. 7.1 if the room is long enough, but 5.1 is just fine. Towers are nice, but it all depends on the space available, and the budget.
* Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub - Never. Simulated surround never fails to be annoying. I'd got simple stereo if running cables to surrounds is out of the question for some reason. A soundbar just isn't in the cards for me.
* Smallest possible on wall solution - Mmmm...small within reason. Could be good for the bedroom. I'm not buying a speaker with a single 2" driver in it, if you catch me drift.
* Wireless surrounds or wireless system - Sure, if it works well and the volume up/down is in sync with the front speakers.
* Other? - Plain ol' stereo, if surround speakers aren't in the cards for some reason. Either two good towers with or without a sub, or two bookshelf with a sub.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
bookshelf 5.1 or floorstanding 5.1 cause im too cheap for 7.1 lol

Epetrone

Epetrone

Audioholic Intern
First system

Front towers 7.1 system

2nd system - as small as possible, maybe even in wall.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
front towers or bookshelf 5.1- i want the best sound and like to look at speakers as they play.
i am two trees. i have spoken.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Front tower 5.1. Best sound for music while permitting proper movie/MC-SACD playback. I would wire the room for 7.1 to allow future expansion, assuming the room size & configuration permits.

XEagleDriver

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
I would have to chose loudspeakers for fronts and bookshelf's for the rears.

I had a bookshelf 5.1 system and ever since I bought the KLF-30's from klipsch when they were built... I can't go back to bookshelf.

If I could dream. Their THX2 Ultra system would be nice =)

srl311JW

Audiophyte
I would have to go with a traditional 5.1 tower system, partly because of the limitations of the rooms in my house, plus I think they give the biggest sound. I wish there were quality wireless sytems you could count on - wires are a pain, but I don't think we're there yet.

Soundman

Soundman

I think I would definitely go with a Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system for best overall performance. Performance over aesthetics every time. :D The type of speakers (bookshelf or tower) may depend on the room conditions, but definitely not a soundbar. :)

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Here goes:

[*]In wall 5.1 system-option depends on the audio quality (not willing to sacrifice for cosmetics) and installation complexity

[*]Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system-current solution, so I would definitely consider it for an initial setup

[*]Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub-not in the trade space; too many sonic compromises

[*]Smallest possible on wall solution-same as in-wall 5.1 comments

[*]Wireless surrounds or wireless system-definitely an option IF the deficiencies of wireless links for speakers can be overcome (RF noise, QoS)

[*]Other? Already covered above

strube

strube

Contest Question: Pretend you are looking to purchase your first or second flat panel TV, which of the following speaker configurations would you consider? Why or why not?

• [1]In wall 5.1 system
    [2]Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system
    [3]Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub
    [4]Smallest possible on wall solution
    [5]Wireless surrounds or wireless system
    [6]Other?

[1] I would have to go with the in-wall 5.1 system, because I know my wife would prefer the aesthetics to any other option, and I have the skills to run the wires in-wall in a new or existing home, as well as install the speakers. Also, I have found that, if installed properly, in-wall speakers can sound excellent.

[2] Bookshelf speakers or towers would be great, but my wife could have problems with the aesthetics and it would require some extra money to make sure all the speakers have real wood veneers and are more attractive than many of the speakers out there. It may be that I have to keep those relegated to the dedicated HT, but that is what it is for. :D

[3] The soundbar solution seems like a gimmicky thing to me, and great sacrifices would be made in sound quality.

[4] Small on-walls would be making a sacrifice in sound over properly installed in-walls. I like the sound of some of the larger on-wall solutions, but the smallest possible solution seems like too much of a compromise.

[5] Finally, wireless systems have not matured enough that one can replace wires with a power adapter and a wireless receiver and maintain a reasonable sound quality and proper timing, in my opinion and limited experience with such systems. I still use wires for my internet too!

[6] The only other option I can think of is to just use the TV speakers, but that just seems like the worst idea ever. :)

B

blacksnake

Audiophyte
My thoughts...

Smallest possible on wall solution

Ease of installation combined with great sound and space savings!

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
In-wall systems are too permanent for me and makes rearranging the room very tough.

Front towers or a bookshelf 5.1 system would be the obvious choice. After having a great primary system, the secondary system also has to be good at a much smaller price.

Soundbars seem like too small of an improvement to be worth it.

A small on-wall solution is a remote maybe.

Wireless surrounds are a definite possibility if I could hear them first.

Haoleb

Haoleb

If i were to get a second flat panel system I would probably go for the in-wall, sleek look because I already have the full blown system for when i want to listen and watch with the best quality but it of course takes up quite a bit of space. With just having everything in the wall and hidden away I would be able to use the extra space for other things and still have much better performance than simple tv speakers.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
  • In wall 5.1 system

• Not a good choice. Too much work for a 'less than' sound system.
    [*]Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system
    Good choice. Adjustable placement for optimal sound and you can easily try out other speakers.
    [*]Soundbar with simulated surround plus a sub
    Not a good choice. I believe sound bars need a certain type of room that I don't have.
    [*]Smallest possible on wall solution
    Not a good choice. Been there, done that. Too much work for a not big enough improvement in sound in my price range. I would almost rather just go with the speakers in the TV ... almost. :)
    [*]Wireless surrounds or wireless system
    Not a good choice. I understand that sound quality sucks on that wireless stuff.
    [*]Other?
Another contest/giveaway mentions powered monitors and I kind of like the idea of that if you can get away without receivers and amplifiers in order to simplify the deal and to save on space.

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
Front bookshelf 5.1 system. Bookshelf + sub gives best bang for buck and best placement options for optimal sound IMO. Allows for 3 identical bookshelf speakers across the front. Also, I’ve noticed no benefit to 7.1 over a well placed/calibrated 5.1 system in any of 3 rooms I’ve been set up in, and 7.1 actually makes some 5.1 games sound worse.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Flat panel doesn't necessarily mean that I'm gonna hang it on the wall. I may own my apartment, but that doesn't mean that I want to drill too many holes around here -- might make it tough to sell if I ever want to. So the flat panel would likely sit on a nice-looking stand, which means that on-wall or in-wall speakers are not necessarily something I would want. Or even need, since I actually like having speakers sitting in my room.

Therefore, my choice for speaker configurations would be exactly what I have now: front towers plus bookshelves making up a 7.1 system. Although I would consider a wireless solution, since I'm not crazy about having speaker cables travelling around my room to get to the current surrounds and rear surround.

from my American residence in Buffalo,
supervij

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis