Enter to Win: Aperion 10th Anniversary Home Theater System valued at $1999!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ehrawn

Audiophyte
Pick Me

1) Components:
Amp/Receiver: Peachtree Audio Decco in black
Speakers: Totem Arro in mahogany
Sub(s): None
Sources: Mac Mini, Acoustic Research EB101 in walnut with a Blue Circle Fon Lo Thingee Phono Stage
AV furniture: None (just a modified cabinet to house everything)
Other

2) Everything. I normally run audio through my TV speakers, which are horrible. I need to do something soon.

3) New speakers. A 2.1 or even a soundbar would be an improvement over what I have now. Ideally, I would get go with a 5.1 system with a new receiver.

4) 10. It has to match. The subwoofer is not something to be hidden. It needs to be in the room with everything else and be properly displayed.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?

1. Amp/Receiver: Onkyo 805 in Black
2. Speakers: Axiom m22's, vp150, qs8's in a vinyl maple finish
3. Sub(s): Outlaw LFM1 in black
4. Sources: Oppo bdp 83 and PS3
5. AV furniture: TV stand in light maple finish
6. Other: APC h15 in silver

2) What would you change in your home theater system?

First of all I want to upgrade from my plasma TV to a projector. Secondly, I would like to upgrade to two subwoofers that can extend flat and deep in a flat frequency response, are musical and have a big impact for movies. Also, I might upgrade to getting into these height and width channels somewhere down the line.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system?

A Projector.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.

It wasn't very important to me since I was in the budget market at the time. When I upgrade my current sub I will make sure that it matches closely to the rest of the speakers though. However, it isn't essential since when you watch movies in the theater the lights are out, so I'd rate it a 5.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?

[*]Amp/Receiver ONKYO TX550

[*]Speakers ATHENA MICRA 5

[*]Sub(s) ATHENA MICRA AND ADVENT ASW1200

[*]Sources OPPO DV-980H, DIRECTV HD RECEIVER

[*]AV furniture IKEA GENERIC

[*]Other 14 YR-OLD SONY VCR, PANASONIC 50" PLASMA, WII

1. SPEAKERS (BIGGER SOUND)
2. RECEIVER (MORE POWER AND FEATURES)
3. ADD UNIVERSAL BD/DVD/CD PLAYER
4. ADD NETWORK BRIDGE TO STREAM CONTENT FROM PC AND WEB

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? SPEAKERS

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.3. I WAS ON A TIGHT BUDGET AND BOUGHT AN ENTRY LEVEL 5.1 SYSTEM WITH GOOD AUDIOHOLICS REVIEWS

Last edited by a moderator:
Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Dedicate HT in the Basement
Amp/Receiver - Denon 4310 - Black
Speakers - Def Tech 2002, CRL 2002, BPX, promonitor 800 - black
Sub(s) - Energy 12 inch something or other - black
Sources - PS3, Dish HD DVR
AV furniture - 8 la-z-boy recliners - blue
Other - Epson 550 front projector, Da-lite screen

multiple subs

1080P projector

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.
7 - I have controlled lighting so most everything "diappears" when the lights go down as long as it is a dark finish

Living Room
Amp/Receiver - Denon 3805 - black
Speakers - JBL HTiB - grey
Sub(s) - JBL HTiB sub - grey
Sources - Panasonic blu-ray, Dish HD DVR
AV furniture - nothing special - just a basic cherry entertainment center/stand
Other - 57" Samsung DLP rear projector

Full range speakers, but the layout won't accomodate

speakers - given layout would need in ceiling

Rec Room
Amp/Receiver - Yamaha DSP-A3090 - black
Speakers - currently the TV's speakers, but am going to make it a 2.0 with the remaining two speakers from the JBL HTiB from the living room
Sub(s) - none
Sources - panasonic blu-ray, 2nd out from HT Dish HD DVR, Wii
AV furniture - BDI cherry and glass shelf stand - but going to build an inwall unit
Other

better speakers, more up to date receiver

receiver

D

DEIMOS280

Audiophyte
APERION Contest Questions:

1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?- black and silver.

Amp/Receiver- YAMAHA RX-V465
Speakers- LOGITECH 5500
Sub- POLK AUDIO PSW110
Sources- PS3, XBOX 360, TOSHIBA QOSMIO X505-Q830
AV furniture- BIG RED COUCH :)
Other- MITSUBISHI HC3800 PROJECTOR, LOGITECH HARMONY ONE

2) What would you change in your home theater system?- I have been making slow upgrades over the past 5 years, and my speakers are probaly the first thing I should of upgraded, lol. Now its all I have left, Other than that I am very happy with my setup... If only they made my couches in gloss black/silver, haha.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system?- My center channel, I love Logitech, and it sounds nice. Audioholics even did a review on the 5500, But this system is better left to a gaming CPU rather than a home theater.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system?- I would say -9- even if I reeeeely liked a sub, if it was a wood finish and the rest of my system is black/silver... I would pass for somthing that would complement the rest of my setup, Even if it ment sacrificing performance. My x-box works great, but I want to get the new one because it looks amazing!

Reading thru some of these entries, I feel like a total noob, but I hope this helps :)

N

norm962

Audioholic Intern
gear

Amp/Receiver: Sony
Speakers KLH HTIB
Sub(s) KLH 8inch, I think its about 50 watts--a little sad, I know
Sources Toshiba DVD player and my ipod
AV furniture Oh I wish
Other

2) What would you change in your home theater system? Add better speakers, the Sony receiver is fine, but I could also use a larger HDTV

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Speakers, no question about it, the ones I have are acceptable, but nothing special

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 3-4, not terribly important as the sub is likely to be out of site or at least not in the direct line of sight.

D

Dino

Audiophyte

1. Amp/Receiver: Denon 3808CI (Black) & Aragon 2002 (Silver)
2. Speakers: B&W 603S2, LCR600, 601S2 (all black)
3. Sub(s): Velodyne HGS15x (Piano black)
4. Sources: PS3, New Xbox 360, Comcast STB (all black)
5. AV furniture: Sanus Naturals tv stand, av rack (all black)

Would love to have a projector.

58-65" plasma (from my current 50)

5: I wanted black, however my speakers are matte while my sub has a piano finish. I would prefer they all match.

W

wesley63

Junior Audioholic

a. Amp/Receiver

HK AVR-254 used as pre/pro for Emotiva UPA-7

b. Speakers

7.1:
LCR - Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1, Piano Black
surrond - Axiom QS-8, surround oak vinyl
surround back - Axiom M3, walnut real wood

c. Sub(s)

1 sub: Outlaw LFM-1 EX, satin black.

d. Sources

Oppo Digital BDP-83

e. AV furniture

Berkline chairs (electric recline) and Berkline couch.

f. Other

Upgrade path: new pre/pro, room treatments, new sub, front projector, new speakers.

Room treatments may come first.

1 - I really wanted a black subwoofer, irregardless of the speaker finish.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General

1. Amp/Receiver - Marantz SR8002
2. Speakers - Jamo 605s, Klipsch KSC-C1 and KSB 1.1s
3. Sub(s) - Hsu VTF 3.3
4. Sources - Oppo BDP-83, Xbox 360, SOTA Sapphire TT
5. AV furniture - self-build AV rack and wooden tray tables for center and surrounds
6. Other - Panasonic plasma TV

I would build a smaller component rack and move the components from the back corner to front and center.

Speakers

1 - I bought the Hsu with a maple finish because I was curious about how that looked. All my speakers are black. Could have been the other way around.

N

Nugu

Audioholic

1. Amp/Receiver
Onkyo SR-TX607 (matte black)
2. Speakers
(5) Behringer b2030p (matte black woodgrain)
3. Sub(s)
The Speaker Company T-300 (Matte black)
4. Sources
Sony PS3, Home Built Computer, BSR Turntable w/ ADC cart (I know, cheap)
5. AV furniture
2 short cheap shelves for speakers under wall mount TV, audio pier off to the side
6. Other
Display is a 42" Sanyo dp42849. I don't consider these sources but N64, Nintendo, PS2, Sega Genesis, and my laptop all get hooked into the system. Modified JVC HA-RX900 headphones for silent listening.

Higher sensitivity tower speakers for more volume. Then a more powerful amp. I'd upgrade anything if I could afford it but I've pretty much hit my sweet spot price wise.

My TV, followed by my Receiver (into components instead of all in 1), then speakers.

1, Didn't matter to me. In fact I actually bought the subwoofer first. IMO quality > looks or matching. In fact my subwoofer is sitting on top of my audio pier on packing foam (till I can get a gramma) because that's where it sounds best.

Last edited:
J

jgeorg5

Audioholic Intern

1. Amp/Receiver - Pioneer Elite SC-05 (black)
2. Speakers - Definitive Technology Mythos ST (L&R) Mythos Ten (C) (all black)
3. Sub(s) - I just run the ST's full range
4. Sources - AT&T U-verse, PS3, Xbox 360S
5. AV furniture - Studio Tech HF-33 B/S
6. Other - Samsung PN50B550

2) What would you change in your home theater system? My next change will be to add a stand-alone subwoofer.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? My first upgrade would be to buy a bigger tv.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. I will say that color choice in my subwoofer will be 5. It does not need to be the same color, but looks are important as it will be in plain sight, not hidden in a corner somewhere out of sight. Piano Black, satin black, cherry, does not matter, as long as it looks good.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General

I have three systems so here they are
Amp/Receiver Onkyo 805, Denon 3808ci and Denon 4802R
Speakers DefTech Bi-polars, Acoustic Reasearch Phantoms and AV123 Strata Minis
Sub(s) SVS PB12 NSD/2, DCM 1212 converted using SVS drivers, Strata Minis had built in subs
Sources Bluray, HD-DVD, Oppo DVD and Directv HD satallite
AV furniture Bell'O rack
Other: Various outboard stereo amps on all three systems

2) What would you change in your home theater system? Acoustic treatments if the GF would let me to help tame the room

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Replace my Strata Minis with a full 5.1 system in my guest room/office

I'll give it a 5. I considered it, but I am an audiophile, so sound reproduction was far more important than looks.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai

Amp/Receiver - Yamaha 663 (black)
Speakers - Aperion Audio 533T (piano black), Aperion Audio 533VAC (piano black), Niles Audio CM6MP surrounds (white to match ceiling)
Sub(s) - Sony piece o'crap (cheap plastic black)
Sources - Samsung TV (black/silver), Yamaha DVD (silver), Scientific Atlanta Cablebox (gray)
AV furniture - custom made (black)
Other - Harmony 550 remote

Sub. Hands down.
A new 1080P plasma would also be nice. The Samsung has had a good run and is starting to show signs of age.

Sub. It's barely tolerable.

At this point, it just needs to be black. Having it match the finish of the other speakers would be ideal. But, beggars can't be choosers. My current sub is plastic black and is near lots of toys for a 2.5 year old. She respects all the electronics and speakers on or near the floor. Never had any issues with scratches, prints, or abuse.

-pat

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
1)
a - Pioneer Elite SC-05, Gloss Black
b - Klipsch F-3 mains, flat black, Klipsch Icon VC24, flat black
c - Martin Logan Dynamo sub, flat black
d - Pioneer Elite DV-48AV gloss black, PS3, Comcast HD DVR silver, Home built computer
e - Whalen TV stand gloss black

2) Better speakers ;)
3) Mains or TV
4) To me, 1, to my wife, 10

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
1)
a. Marantz AV8003 (black) + Emotiva MPS-1 (black/silver)
b. Onix Reference 3, 100, 1 (seven) in piano black
c. DIY 4 x 15" sealed; cherry veneer
d. OPPO DV983H (black); Sony PS3 Slim (black)
e. Couches (beige)
f. Behringer DCX2496 (black/silver) + EP2500 (black)
f. Carada screen
f. Epson 6500UB (white)

2)
Additional sound treatments
Speakers capable of handling even more power
More powerful and better sound quality amplifier

3)
Additional sound treatments

4)
5 - the room is kept completely dark while watching movies, but when lit it is nice to match

T

trevordj

Audiophyte
Amp/Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606 black color
Speakers: Orb Audio Mod4 5.1 gloss black finish, all wall mounted
Sub(s): Orb Audio Uber 10 black color
Sources: Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player, AppleTV, (Time Warner) Motorola cable box/DVR
AV furniture: Sanus Euro Black modular audio rack hidden in adjacent room
Other: Panasonic 42" plasma TV wall mounted, Xantech flush mount IR repeater system, Monoprice cable and wall mount

2) What would you change in your home theater system? The speakers; my current setup is severely lacking in midbass umph and I desire stronger sub bass performance. I am also in need of an updated receiver and will be replacing my appleTV with a mac mini.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? speakers and subwoofer as I feel this is by far the most important factor in any home theater installation.

8: Very important for all of the components to match to provide a cohesive, aesthetically pleasing final look to the system. My current speakers are a gloss black while my subwoofer is more matte textured black. The subwoofer is really an eyesore compared to the beautiful speakers.

G

ggallaway

Audiophyte
1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and
finishes / colors?

Amp/Receiver - Onkyo 705
Speakers - NHT SuperZero XU all around 7.1(except center), Emotiva 6.3 Center
Sub(s) - AV123 MFW-15 (Turbo on the way)
Sources - Panasonic BD-35k, XBOX360, VHS ;), OTA HDTV
AV furniture - None :), well i do have a shelf from walmart with my gear on it.
Other - Harmony remote!

replace CRT RPTV with Projector, get better seating, replace SuperZeros with something bigger/better

Screen/Projector

1. This is not important to me, the sub is not supposed to draw attention to itself it is supposed to sit loudly (not sure that is even a word) in the corner and be felt not heard.

M

mrdockery

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:
Aperion is celebrating 10 years of making high value home audio speaker systems. They’d like to get your input to help them continue to serve you and your audio needs.

Amp/Receiver: Sony DN1000 black
Speakers: Boston Acoustics MCS100 5 speakers black/grey
Sub(s): Boston Acoustics MCS100 Subwoofer grey
Sources: Playstation 3, Dishnetwork Sat Box, Custom built WMC HTPC black aluminum
AV furniture: PC desk w/ oak finish
Other: APC UPS black & H10 silver (From audioholics)

Receiver (I want a Pioneer 1020+ or Denon 1911+), larger front speakers, and add 2 more speakers to make a 7.1...also I need to get a seperate AV Rack

Furniture then speakers then receiver

1. It did not matter at all, but when the furniture starts coming in it will be more important.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic

Amp/Receiver - H/K AVR 247 (black - silver trim) - hidden in cabinet
Speakers - Infinity Kappa 7.1 ii, Infinity CS Cinema and JBL L1's (all black)
Sub(s) - Carver Cenma Series (black vinyl)
Sources - PS3 (jet black), ATT cable box (silver) - hidden in cabinet
TV - LG 47LH85 (jet black)
AV furniture (solid natural oak entertainment armoire which contains/conceals all except speakers)

eventually upgrading the subwoofer and going to a front projection system

the subwoofer!

score 2 - In my dedicated HT room the color is less noticeable. I am much more concerned with the performance and that is the reason I will upgrading the Carver unit first. The build and sound quality are paramount to looks. Usually though (aside from personal taste) if a unit is built well thought has been given to its aesthetics

SunnyOctopus

SunnyOctopus

Audioholic
1) My home theater system is PC based and simple, and somewhat crappy...I have two good speakers (KRK VXT 6 Bi-amplified powered monitors) on some Auralex MoPads connected to my computer's sound card. I use my computer's monitor to watch movies.

My monitor. It is small and of a poor quality. I would also like a subwoofer, and 3 more speakers so I could have 5.1.

My speakers. I'm an audiophile before anything. I'd get a subwoofer.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system?
6. I don't have a subwoofer, but if I were to get one, I'd like for it to match, but performance to value ratio comes before anything. I'd get a hideous brightly colored rainbow sub with leprechauns on it if it sounded good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis