Enter to Win: A7-700 Subwoofer from Elemental Designs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
jthomp27

jthomp27

Audioholic Intern
I don't use treatments - I have two little kids and am worried about loose fibers.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
No I do not currently use treatments, as my SO would not approve of the ungainliness and often drab visuals that they would create in our media room. If we could find some wall treatments that looked more like pieces of art rather than a single hue piece of fabric, we would most likely install some panels to help increase the acoustic qualities of our room.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
I currently use room treatments.
I use a diffuser on some long walls and some bass absorbers at my 1st refelction points. I could use some corner absorbers too.
What stops me is the prices of some of these items. Some vendors charge WAYT TOO MUCH. Others make stuff that is more like DIY so I might as well DIY myself.
Half of my stuff is DIY.

H

Hutzal

Audioholic Intern
Do you currently use acoustic room treatments in your home theater? If yes, what do you use and what would you like to see improved over you current acoustic treatments? If no, is there something in particular that you are looking for in a product that would make you choose to move forward with acoustic room treatments?

I use Ready Acoustics DIY bags, with JM IS300 insulation. It has cleaned up my room quite a bit. I would love to get more, but the prices of such products are expensive even on a DIY front. Really the only thing I would like to see improved is the price of the products, I am completely satisfied with my Ready Acoustic Bags. I am currently using 4 bass traps.

T

trhoffman

Audiophyte
No treatments

I don't have room treatments yet as I have been living in apartments. However, I am in the process of buying a house, and have been looking at different rooms to figure out what I can do with them. My hope is to gradually begin to better understand and apply different techniques to achieve the maximum sound quality with what I can do and have available.

G

golgi15

Audiophyte
DIY Acoustical Treatments

Do you currently use acoustic room treatments in your home theater? If yes, what do you use and what would you like to see improved over you current acoustic treatments?
Yes, I do indeed incorporate acoustical treatments (AT's) in my basement home theater. It was my first attempt at using AT's and went the economical route of going with DIY treatments. I created 2'x4' acoustic panels to minimize first reflection points using 1 1/2" closed cell acoustical liner by Johns Maynesville that was originally intended to minimize noise for duct work. I made a wood frame and fabric covered them to match the decor of the room and hung them with the help of a friend at the first reflection points.
-I used the same acoustic liner to make ceiling tiles by flipping over the pre-existing acoustic tiles in my drop ceiling and using 3M adhesive to glue 2'x2' cut pieces of the material to deaden first reflection points from the ceiling and to darken the room for the sake of the light reflection from the projector.
-The last AT I implemented was corner bass traps that were made from scrap pieces of the aforementioned acoustical liner. I collected the scrap pieces until I had enough to tightly fit into the cardboard frame I made out of large shipping boxes that formed a 2' equilateral triangle base that extended to 8' tall, the heigth of my ceiling. I placed the triangular shaped containers in the two front corners of my home theater, secured them with 2"x4" braces and made a large fabric covered panel to conceal their location.
I would like to experiment some time soon with the application of diffusors in my home theater. I have a back wall that would probably benefit with the right application. I also will try to make a stab at a DIY version of the ASC Subtrap stand for two subwoofers I am currently using. I have read numerous reports that the subtrap helps substantially when used in a location where there is a cement foundation under the flooring system, which is what I am dealing with currently.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
Contest Question: Do you currently use acoustic room treatments in your home theater? If yes, what do you use and what would you like to see improved over you current acoustic treatments? If no, is there something in particular that you are looking for in a product that would make you choose to move forward with acoustic room treatments?
Currently no. I am only familiar with the panels from companies like GIK and Ready Acoustic Panels. My wife thinks a 4" thick panel is too bulky so if I could get equal to near equal absorption from 1-2" thick panels then that would be much easier to sell to my wife vs. the 4" or even 6" panels.

I plan on using corner bass traps and wall panels when I actually make the jump to acoustic treatments.

T

tschopper

Audiophyte
No, I don't currently use any treatments. Considering them as I plan for a dedicated theater. They do seem to be rather large and bulky and I am not familiar with how they are attached to the wall.

M

MrPorterhouse

Audioholic Intern

Contest Question: Do you currently use acoustic room treatments in your home theater? If yes, what do you use and what would you like to see improved over you current acoustic treatments? If no, is there something in particular that you are looking for in a product that would make you choose to move forward with acoustic room treatments?

I currently use carpet and fabric-covered chairs in the living room, and plan to add some wall panels soon. When I do the basement theater, the entire room will be designed with acoustics in mind, so all treatment options will be considered.

I

IndoSlim

Audioholic Intern
Unfortunately, No Treatments :(

I do not currently use acoustic treatments in my living room. I do plan to, however, use them when we buy our new house. I will most likely use bass traps. But if I decide to have a dedicated home theater, I am not sure what I will use. I wish I could use them all but I'm sure my budget will confine me to only a couple.

Also, I agree with most on here that if the panels were more WAF friendly, i.e., artwork, I'd be more inclined to use them now.

M

mbaylor

Junior Audioholic
No room treatments, looking for style

I do not currently use room treatments. I am looking for something that is stylish that blends in. Most room treatments now are relatively large and unsightly.

S

Shicks18

Junior Audioholic
I do not currently use acoustic room treatments in my home theater. I would be open to using acoustic room treatments if they were aesthetically pleasing and matched the decor of the room. However, the wife would have to approve :eek:

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic

No I do not currently use acoustic treatments. But I do own some. I recently purchased ATS Acoustic Panels which I need to install after a new paint color for the theater.

Cost was a major factor that had held me back from the purchase for so long. ATS had a free shipping deal that made it worthwhile for me.

S

soundstage28

Audiophyte
Contest Question: Do you currently use acoustic room treatments in your home theater? If yes, what do you use and what would you like to see improved over you current acoustic treatments?

I am not currently using any acoustic room treatments but will be shortly. Still trying to decide on who to go with...

If no, is there something in particular that you are looking for in a product that would make you choose to move forward with acoustic room treatments?

It would be nice if custom artwork was easier and less expensive to make. I have seen regular panels 2'x4' that were $50 and the custom artwork models are over $200...ouch...

C

Crackinjahcs

Audiophyte
I do not currently use room treatments. I would be looking for treatment solutions that are easily placed in an apartment/condo without looking cheap and portable. Also, the aesthetics of most treatment solutions are quite industrial looking and having treatments look more like art or normal items found in homes would be nice.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I do not currently use acoustic room treatments in the home theatre. I just finished putting the speaker / electronics in the theatre. So, I about to that step. I would like something that will give the room a better sound than what I have. So, I guess I don't know a lot about them, but they are something that I would like to have.

M

mrrame

Enthusiast
I do not have any room treatment. I would buy one if they are affordable, look good and come in different color other than black (If it can match room decor, it would be great). Custom finish would also be cool (End User can upload the design pattern, just like how you would design your mouse pad)
Ramesh

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I do not currently use any room treatments.

The main reason I have not used them is because of the appearance detracting from the decor of my living room.

I would strongly consider them if I could find some at reasonable prices that fit in the decor of the room. I would also consider them if they were available for a 30 day audition period to determine if they in fact improve the quality of sound in my room.

Great idea for this contest. Kudos to ED.

ziggster

ziggster

Enthusiast
Due to the fact that I rent and tend to move every year or two, the only treatment I have is the heavy curtains I put over my sliding glass door to reduce reflections. Once I buy a house I intend to treat my media room. As far as suggestions go, more options of covers ( artwork, having photos screen printed , etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis