Enter to Win: $50 Gift Certificates from AV123

What aspect of speaker design in most important to you?

• Sound Quality

Votes: 117 93.6%
  • Build Quality

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Aesthetics

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Size

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
N

ninoe99

Audiophyte
Sound quality is first and foremost over anything else. After that, the looks of a speaker would be the next determining factor then the build quality. Bottomline is performance first, but then it has to look good, not that great and last a long time as well.

L

lincolnhayes

Audioholic Intern
Love speakers for their mind

When I close my eyes I don't see them. I don't want them to be day glo, but I mainly care about what comes out & how they're built.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
sound quality all the way, of course you don't want them to be so hideous that they are distracting, but its hard for a speaker to look that bad

T

talannar

Junior Audioholic
If the speaker sounds good I don't really mind what it looks like. If it looks nice, that's just an added bonus. Now the wife on the other hand...:)

M

mark4mich

Audioholic Intern
Sound is at least 90% of the equation. It certainly helps if the speaker looks good especially with WAF.

W

WoofBoyZaq

Audiophyte
Sound is most important.

In my current (apartment) environment size plays part. I can sneak in floor standing speakers but not if they are 20wx24d

Looks matter some... in that I'd probably pay somewhat more for a great finish on a great speaker rather than black PVC.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Good sound is all that matters...if it looks good...thats a bonus!

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Sound Quality (as the broken record skips yet again).

Since I am soon to be building a house, I can hide ugly speakers in the walls. If they sound like crap, you can't hide that.

Reorx

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
all are somewhat important but this question is pretty easy. sound is of course most important. Speakers are made for sound, the rest is just a bonus.

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern
Sound Quality....I don't care what it looks like, as long as it sounds good.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Sound quality!

The TV isn't an exotic wood veneer nor are any of my electronics and they fit the room fine.

C

CooLJ92

Audioholic Intern
Sound quality is very high in my list.

Happy Holidays.

jj

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
CooLJ92 said:
Sound quality is very high in my list.

Happy Holidays.

jj
....as it should be, CoolJ, as it should be.....

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Sound quality is absolutely the number one thing..but I don't mean to diminish the others. In fact, they tend to weigh heavily for me, "they" being aesthetics/build quality. I'm a designer by profession, so my job is favor things that look appealing. It's how my brain's wired, I can't help it. So, from time to time, I'm swayed if I see a speaker design/look that is visually appealing...if the speaker maker went the extra distance with regards to the speakers looks/fit/finish. Also, I just find that all of that stuff rounds out a speaker and makes me think that company a took the time for the extra touches that company b didn't, therefore, I'll take company a.

T

thunderbird

Enthusiast
:D This is pretty much a no brainer, unless you're deaf.....sound quality is the main reason an individual should decide on speakers. Build quality is is a second consideration. How long will the speaker maintain sound quality? If it's not built soundly, and to last, then sound degradation will occur, and then reason one to purchase a speaker will have meant nothing. The rest are incidentals.....
Tom Andry said:
AV123 wants your opinion!

AV123 is offering (2) $50.00 Gift Certificates redeemable up to 6 months after the drawing date (December 31, 2005) to forum members that respond to the question below.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Take the poll above and post your more specific response to the question below:

What aspect speaker design is most important to you?

• Sound Quality
  • Build Quality
  • Aesthetics
  • Size
  • Other

Note this contest ends on December 31st 2005. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
I like em' big and beautiful and hefty. I have a pair of big (15.5" x 32" x 16") PINNACLE DECIBIAL 98'S that weigh in at 72 pounds each, with a beautiful genuine oak veneer and with the grills off they each show off their 2 - 8 in drivers with kind of a "in your face" attitude. best off all, I paid $105 for them at a second hand shop. And I still use my vintage JBL 88's as my rear surrrounds. Bought them used in '78 with my first reciever and they still crank. Oh, and they got to sound good, of course, I think thats of a given.

Last edited:
xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
First I have to say that size, build quality and sound quality affect the overall product quality. And the better the product the more it is going to cost you. For me they all have the same importance in my final decision.

Sound Quality: I have to like what I hear.

Build Quality: I want something that's build solid. The heavier and sturdier the better. I won't want it to feel cheap.

Aesthetics: I have to like what I see since it is sitting out in the open for all to see.

Size: See above comment. Bigger is better. You can't get big sound from small speakers.

Other: Cost is a big part. I will only purchase in my price range. I won't buy a $4k speaker. But I will spend $4K on a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 speaker system.

D

davlara

Audiophyte
In thinking back on my most recent bookshelf speaker purchase, I realize that the first priority for me was size. Until I move into a new place with plenty of room, I will be simply unable to consider giant floorstanding speakers. when that is the case, of course sound quality will be the primary issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis