Enter to Win: $200 off order from Emotiva!

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wrunow

Enthusiast
Contest Questions:
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ??
I tend to like the 10" size because a quaity unit is fast enough for music and can also be powerful enough for home theater applications.[/B]
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?
Single driver with a passive radiator
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs?
I prefer front firing for all around music and home theater performance.
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?
low frequency extension
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
Because my listening room is fairly small I would prefer a super compact sub.
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?
My current sub is placed behind my display because of WAF (wife acceptance factor), although I would prefer a corner placement.
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?
Built in is the most convenient.
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?
I would love the auto eq if it didn't add too much extra to the cost.
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )
Online companies seem to be providing excellent products in the $500 -$1000 range.
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?

Probably Piano Black and some sort of Cherry Veneer or hardwood finish.

B

brianjof

Audioholic Intern
Emotiva contest

1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ?? - 12
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators? - dual driver, passive
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs? - floor
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you? - SPL
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable? - compact
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall? - in corner a little away form walls
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier? - built in
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself? - both would be ideal, otherwise auto
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! ) - 750 - 1000
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? - black piano gloss with black fabric

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MrFong

Enthusiast

10", as in the ideal world, I'd be running two of them.

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?

I like a single sealed cabinet design. Keeps things 'tight' and controlled.

Front, as bottom firing models will be affected by what kind of floor you have.

4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?

Low freq. extension. SPL is important, but hey, I've got neighbours.

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?

Larger designs are better, as you don't have to compromise as much.

6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?

Depending on the room resonance. If I can get it into a corner, I will.

7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?

Built-in. Makes things easier to hook up.

8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?

Both - an auto-eq with the ability to tweak to my preferences.

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )

$1000 - $1500.

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?

Black and 'walnut/mahogony/cherry'. That would blend in with most decors.

C

chrisw1

Enthusiast
12"
Single, active.
Floor firing.
LFE.
Conventional.
Where it sounds best, currently away from the wall.
Built-in.
Both. Auto EQ for ease of setup with manual control for more detailed adjustments.
$800-$1200.
Black Matte. Matte/High-gloss.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic

12", that way in my smallish HT room (2500 ft³) I can get away w/one of them. Albeit a high quality one.

I have not played around with too many home subs. I would have to say that due to size limitations and hiding it an active driver w/ a passive radiator has many benefits; when done properly.

Front, I feel that a front firing design gives more flexibility in position of the sub.

Low freq. extension.

Larger designs are better. In general a compact design compromises things when looking at similar price realms.

I Prefer a corner placement but mostly it dependant on resonance.

Built-in. Easier to hook up. Again, only when it is done right though.

Both - an auto-eq with the ability to dial it in.

$1000 - $1200.

Black (piano black laquer)

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
12" subs appeal most to me from the standpoint of a good balance between footprint (size) and performance.

2. Do you prefer single or dual driver design, either active or with passive radiators?
I prefer single driver design as the dual driver design usually impacts the subwoofer's footprint too much.

No preference here, though down firing designs tend to allow easier placement, but from a "sound" perspective, I have not found that one is necessarily better than the other.

They're both important, though I'd place stronger importance on clean SPL than bottomless depth...

My preference is a balance of the two (if possible), but if footprint is not an issue, I'd prefer the larger, more conventional design.

Somewhat corner-loaded.

Built-in, though choice of the two is a nice option as well.

I'd rather have an auto room EQ system, so long as it was accurate in all room types. Otherwise, manual would be my choice if the auto option was not more than 80% accurate.

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic!)
$1,500-2,000.

Rosewood and light maple.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Contest Questions:
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ?? 12" or 15"

2. Do you prefer single or dual driver design, either active or with passive radiators?
Single driver enclosures w/ or w/o passive radiator are just easier to position space wise.

Sound wise with proper design and set up, they should sound the same. I haven't heard a difference btw the 2 that could be attributed to down vs front orientation of the driver. I'll just pick one, front, as I like the idea of knowing that over long periods of time that gravity won't be pulling straight down on a vertically oriented speaker. Yes gravity pulls on everything, but if the driver is oriented perpendicular to the pull of gravity, you can at least rotate your drivers every few years as I have on my Altec voice of the theater drivers cause over 30+ years, larger drivers could become slightly warped.

I'm concerned with what the SPL levels are at the -20Hz extension, deeper that that, you can keep it!

I personally like larger designs since that's what I've worked with myself and it's what I own, but smaller designs are great for set ups where you don't have the floor space for larger subs. Both are needed niches in the market.

Generally closer to the corner than not.

Stand alone!

Both

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic!).
$1000

Piano black is my 1st choice, birdseye maple.

M

Mike JL

Audioholic Intern
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ?? 12" minimum
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?Single
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs?Floor
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?Extension
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?Conventional
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall? Along a wall
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier? Built in
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?Auto
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! ) $600-1000
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? I like a dark reddish wood, like mahogany, and piano black

trivee

trivee

Enthusiast
pick me pick me!!!!!

10"
Active passive have been pretty good to me
front
well both are immportant, but i'll take extension to huge output
well size does matter! so i think a good combination is key
i place it where it woulks the best in combination of sound and where it is in the room (aesthetics)?
built in works best for me!
why not both? somehting like the DD series from velodyne, it has both auto and manual
750-1200
black white (i know it wont stay white, but invisible paint has not been invented yet!

thanks, i just got done reading review of the emotiva 899 system, its on my list!

P

Puppetz

Audioholic Intern
12 inch.
Dual driver; no preference on active/passive radiators.
No preference.
My ideal is over 90 dB at 20 Hz. If forced to choose between a sub that plays louder or goes deeper, I'd generally prefer the one with the higher SPL.
I have a huge room, so conventional designs are fine.
Corners.
Built in amp.
A combination of the two. If forced to choose between one or the other, I'd take the manual controls.
$1,000 - $1,500
Flat black or gloss (piano) black.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Contest Questions:
1. 12
2. No pref on 1 vs 2, prefer active
3. no preference
4. always pick better sound (extension) over more of it (spl)
5. no preference
6. don't have one to place
7. i wouldn't buy any speaker from a company i didn't trust to build in the ideal amplifier
8. how about the option of auto- or manual-eq?
9. $1000 - $1500
10. black wood-grain or black textured

pfarrell77

Audiophyte
Emotiva Contest

1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ?? 12"
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators? Dual, active and passive
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs? Front
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you? Extension
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable? Larger
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall? Corner
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier? Dedicated stand alone amp
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself? Auto Room EQ, but only is as good or better than Audessy
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! ) $1200-$2000
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? Cherry or Walnut

T

Tar Heel

Audiophyte
12"
Passive
front firing
low frequency extension
conventional
away from the wall
built in amplifier
EQ myself
700-900
cherry or piano black

E

emaileverything

Audiophyte
A: 12" is good.
A: doesn't really matter, performance counts.
A: floor firing.
A: low frequency extension.
A: no need to be very small, as long as smaller than my couch.
A: corner. wiring is my problem for any other locations.
A: built in amp, less wire to run.
A: Auto EQ.
A: less than 1000.
A: black, easier to match with the equipment racks.

R

rushwj

Audioholic
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ?? 12
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators? - depends on how it sounds (which is more important than design)
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs? it varies, but floor firing can seem more appealing, although i currenlty own side firing
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you? both, but extension usually, because it can be easy to get a sub to play loud, but difficult to play loud at low frequencies
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable? conventional, they seem smoother and go lower
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall? depends on room design
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier? built in
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself? i haven't used either yet, but am interested
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! ) ~1K would be a sweet spot
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? [/I] black, darker wood

F

flsalinas

Enthusiast
Here goes...

10''[/COLOR]

Single driver with active radiator

Front firing

Low frequency.

Super compact is more convenient for me

In corner

Sub with built in amp. Again more convenient for me.

Ideally both. It's the tweaker in me.

800$ to 1000$.

Maple or black preferably with high gloss finishes.

T

tjhenry

Audiophyte
Emotiva contest

1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ?? I prefer 8 inch for music. Most 8 inchers still have enough punch for movies for my taste.
2. Do you prefer single or dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators? I prefer single driver with passive radiator.
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs? I (and the neighbors who live below me) prefer front firing designs.
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you? Low frequency extension is preferred
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable? Conventional designs are preferred to me. Better value for performance.
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall? I prefer the bass response when placed away from the wall. Less boundary re-inforcement
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier? Built in amplifier is fine. Simplifies gear collection
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself? I'm a value guy and a tweaker. So, lower equipment cost for manual set-up and something to keep my OCD side busy.
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )? $ 700 to 800. DefTech's SuperCube II is $900 MSRP.
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? Gloss black and a dark wood (similar to Monitor Audio's rosenut) would be nice.

D

dvc dude

Enthusiast
. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ??

Either 10" or 12"

My next Subwoofer will most likely be a dual driver with a passive radiator.

I prefer front firing only because the ones I have listened to seem to have more clarity and less boominess.

Low frequency extension.

Clarity and frequency extension are more important than size. That said, I still have to get it into the house past my wife.

Corner

Amplified

Both - manual if I must make a choice.

$1000-1500

a) Black b) Oak

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Contest Questions:

Sound first, size second. If i can get an 8" that sounds as good as the best 12", i'll take it, but unfortunately can't find one. So 12" usually.

I prefer single driver. If i needed a dual, i'd just buy a second single. Gives more flexible placement options and usually better output. No preference on the radiator.

Soundwise, it doesn't make a difference to me. I prefer the floor firing design though for practical reasons, as the woofer is generally better protected.

Frequency extension.

Depends on the space i'm putting it in. If i have ample space, i'd take a larger size. Practicality usually rules though, so i'd *prefer* a smaller sub.

In the corner

Built in amp. It's much easier to place as you don't need a rack to house the amp.

Auto setup with manual override would be ideal.

$1500

Rosenut and Piano Gloss black.

B

bangedup

Audiophyte

TEN

SINGLE

FRONT

SPL

SUPER COMPACT

CORNER

BUILT IN

AUTO ROOM EQ

$1000, OR IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER, BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT REALISTIC IS. :p

FLAT BLACK OR HIGH GLOSS BLACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis