Enter to Win: 10-Outlet Surge Suppressor from Impact Acoustics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
1. What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system?

I'm utilizing a Monster HTS 850 Power Center for all of my equipment

Does your surge protector also condition and filter power?

2. It does filter EMI, as far as line conditioning, I'm not sure.

3. Is this a feature you feel is important?

Sure its important.

4. Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

If my electrical service was problematic and faced alot of fluctuations.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Contest Questions: What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

I use an Adcom ACE-515. Filtering is important but it's only part of what I need. I also like the timed turn on of the equipment, especially my external amp and sub.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
For my home theater, I use a Panamax Max DBS+ that I got about nine years ago. I don't believe that it conditions or filters the power. I would like to have conditioning/filtering, if only because it would make me feel more confident that my components were getting cleaner power.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
I use two Panamax's. They do not filter or condition but it would be nice but I don't feel it is necessary for the equipment I run. Super HiFi, high dollar yes, MidFi average dollar I'm not going to spend the extra cash. That cash can go to more equipment, upgrades or other hobbies.

Bryguy

N

NJTitan

Enthusiast
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system?
A belkin surge protector

I do not beleive so. I will need to crawl behind my system to find out because it has been years since I purchased everything.

Is this a feature you feel is important?
Since I am upgrading my system the December with a new receiver I would say yes. I am in the market for new equipment and want to protect it.

Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
I do not know.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Contest Questions: What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

1. I currently use a Tripplite Isobar.
2. It does not filter or condition power.
3. Filtering and conditioning can be beneficial especially for low current devices. Most filters and conditioners introduce some form of current limiting. I don't want that on my power amps.
4. I have been considering filtering and conditioning for some time. It would have probably been my next purchase. Sleestack published those curves his Tact 2.2 made and now I want one of those.:D

A

aeneas3

Enthusiast
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

Currently I have a cheap belkin surge protector. It does not condition and filter power. I think that as I acquire more high end products this feature is more important and I am currently considering it.

J

jfaudio

Enthusiast
>>What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system?
>>Does your surge protector also condition and filter power?

Computer : an old APS 300 I got for free in a closing sale. I guess filtering, I dont know for conditionning.
TV : APC Personal SurgeArrest. No filter and conditionning.

>>Is this a feature you feel is important?
I leave in a old house so yes I feel it's important as I don't have the cleanest electrical install...
>>Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
When I will add equipment to my installation ( A/V equipement).

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm currently using a Panamax. No fitering, no conditioning and only 8 outlets, all used.
I'd consider a conditioner if my house was older with poor wiring.
My home is only 6 years old with good wiring and hardly ever a lightning strike.......:eek: Umm. Pick me?!

jz3569

Audiophyte
What kind of surge protection do you currently utilize in your system? Does your surge protector also condition and filter power? Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?

A cheap one from Costco. Belkin maybe?
No.
Yes, heard good things about it, especially with digital TV's.
Invested too much to have a crappy surge protector.

Anagoge

Anagoge

Junior Audioholic
My AV system uses a fairly new Tripp Lite HT10DBS. The device has limited EMI/RMI noise filtering, but no extensive power conditioning, as far as I know.

I was interested in at least having line noise filtering. What I'd really like to see is small system similar to those higher end UPS computer battery backups, where the line noise and surges coming from the AC current are completely isolated from the power output of the surge supressor/UPS because the components are completely powered by a battery, or X of Y internal batteries, that are continuously charged and drained in sequence.

A

auujay

Audioholic Intern
Super cheap "power strip" plugged into the wall.

No.

Is this a feature you feel is important? Under what conditions would you consider power conditioning/filtering?
It would be nice, but unless I upgrade my system to much nicer components or move to a place that has really crappy power I am most probably not willing to pay any extra for this feature. If I am looking at two products that are priced the same and one offers this feature while the other does not I will obviously choose the one that does conditioning/filtering too. I suppose I would even pay a little bit more as long as it was "negligible" (less than 20% more than the one without conditioning/filtering).

manofsteel2397

manofsteel2397

Audioholic

i currently have a acoustic research surge protector and it does have a line conditioner not sure about the filter power thing. i do feel this is important for i get alot of spikes in my home due to old wiring. this i why i nee d a power conditioning unit better than what i have

V

VicAjax

Audioholic Intern
i currently use a cheapo surge protector from Radio Shack. needless to say, it does not condition or filter power. i don't know whether power conditioning is important, as i've not done any listening tests. i do have my amp plugged straight into the wall, so it can draw whatever power it needs. i have been curious about power conditioning for quite some time, and i would love to hear if it would make a difference in my setup.

A

AVJedi

Audioholic Intern

I have a Tripp-Lite surge protector. It does not offer power conditioning or filtering. I do feel that is important, so that's why I will be upgrading when I purchase the new TV, speakers, audio equipment, etc! I would love to have conditioning/filtering available all the time, due to the fact that an idiot elctrician wired my house, so every breaker is tied to 10 other things spread throughout the house!

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Basic surge protectors, mostly from APC as I've had good experience with them for computers.

Very basic filtering, but really nothing very capable.

Yes, I have heard a few systems connected to lousy mains at friends houses and switching to other wall jacks in other rooms has helped so I suspect that there is something to it. Rumor also has it that providing a more controlled power supply will help the supply in the individual components last longer. I'm not entirely sold on all that though.

If I were in an older building or house that didn't have very stable power. Or if I were spending a ton of money on components then I suppose even a reasonably inexpensive conditioning/filtering power supply might be worth it but it would take some convincing to spend megabucks on one. It's certainly something that I wouldn't mind having if I had money burning a hole in my pocket but at this point I wouldn't invest much in it.

T

tlqualman

Audioholic Intern
I have a Monster Power HTS 5100 signature power conditioner and filter. It's an important piece of equiptment for me as I live near several broadcast antennas and without it pick up RF in my lines. I do wish it would stabilize the voltage but of course with Monster Power you have to buy another piece of their equiptment for that.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Cheap power strip.

No.

Only if you live in an area with power issues.

If I started to have power issues or if I had extra money and wanted to buy my system a present.

SBF1

crewst

crewst

Enthusiast
surge protection

Currently I use a Belkin surge protector, which will be replaced along with the receiver and speakers I currently have.... hopefully to happen before the end of January.

This unit only offers surge protection. The next unit will hopefully offer conditioning and filtering. I feel it's important to condition and filter the power for equipment with a higher value than what I currently have on my surge protector. The cost does not currently justify replacement, given the upcoming replacement. "Good" equipment would hopefully run with any "normal" power source, but cleaner power certainly won't hurt.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic

APC with batter backup and line conditioning for my PCs and a Tripplite conditioner for my HT gear.

Yes

Absolutely. There have been many times where the volatage has caused the lights to flicker in my apartment, so I want as clean a line as possible to supply my equipment with current.

It should be on regardless of whatever conditions exist. If you have 5K of equipment, you might as well spend $70 to protect it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis