enough space for ventilation?

R

Roman-dude

Enthusiast
hello!
i have a 7.5" high amp and am considering getting a rack with 8" openings btn the shelves..kind of iffy on whether this is this enough for adequate ventilation though... opinions?

thanks!

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Class A-B amplifiers and receivers require 4-5" free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I didn't have enough room do I added to 5" fans one blowing cold air and an one throwing hot air out

R

Roman-dude

Enthusiast
I have a Sherbourn 5/1500a. The way it is now, I have my SACD player on top of it with just about 1/2" gap between the two. It's been like that for a few years with no issues - it never heats up. So I think I should be fine, esp since the sides are going to remain open with the rack.. thx!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Class A-B amplifiers and receivers require 4-5" free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover..

Just my $0.02... ;)
It really depends on the amp. Not all of the require that much space, and it also depends on how hard you'll be driving it, how difficult a load the speakers present, whether you can add fans pulling air out the back of the cabinet, or if the rack is enclose or not.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have a Sherbourn 5/1500a. The way it is now, I have my SACD player on top of it with just about 1/2" gap between the two. It's been like that for a few years with no issues - it never heats up. So I think I should be fine, esp since the sides are going to remain open with the rack.. thx!
I would say that having it open on the sides helps, and as long as you can play it for a few hours, pick up the SACD player, and not have it more than warm you should be fine. You just want to be careful that you aren't heating the SACD player up unknowingly. I know one amp I have remains nearly cool to the touch on the front faceplate, sides and the front half of the top lid, but put your hand on the a$$ end of it where the heat sinks are and you'll burn your hand off. Most amps are meant to dissipate heat from a fairly specific area, so as long as it isn't heating up at that area you should be good.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
It really depends on the amp. Not all of the require that much space, and it also depends on how hard you'll be driving it, how difficult a load the speakers present, whether you can add fans pulling air out the back of the cabinet, or if the rack is enclose or not.
4-5" is the recommendation from Harman/Kardon, Pioneer/Elite, Onkyo/Integra and Denon...
Yes, one can deviate but best to start off with the manufacturers' recommendation.
Regarding fans their downside is the noise they generate which is audible in a quiet listening room..

Just my $0,02... ;)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
4-5" is the recommendation from Harman/Kardon, Pioneer/Elite, Onkyo/Integra and Denon...
Yes, one can deviate but best to start off with the manufacturers' recommendation.
Regarding fans their downside is the noise they generate which is audible in a quiet listening room..

Just my $0,02... ;)
If we're being technical they actually recommend much more than 4-5" on the top and sides and if properly implemented fans won't create any audible noise.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The key point is that electronics need ventilation as heat is its worst enemy..
Another point is stacking components with the amplifier/AVR usually on the bottom, since temperatures can easily exceed 75 degrees C, not a very good idea to have this rising and passing into your optical player. Some brands such as Onkyo/Integra and HK who bias their amplifiers on the high side to minimize notch distortion run hot even when idling... Additionally since today's AVRs utilize more processors for video, audio and connectivity these are frequently clocked higher which means they give off more heat as well.
Unfortunately the majority of furniture manufacturers of equipment cabinets/racks have little clues for this as well as running the cables and interconnects..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The key point is that electronics need ventilation as heat is its worst enemy..
We agree here :D

Another point is stacking components with the amplifier/AVR usually on the bottom, since temperatures can easily exceed 75 degrees C, not a very good idea to have this rising and passing into your optical player. Some brands such as Onkyo/Integra and HK who bias their amplifiers on the high side to minimize notch distortion run hot even when idling... Additionally since today's AVRs utilize more processors for video, audio and connectivity these are frequently clocked higher which means they give off more heat as well.
Generally yes, but like I said it depends on a variety of factors. Like you said and I bolded, it is possible. However it depends on the setup and even the brand. My Onkyo, a brand known for running extremely hot, has never gotten above 35-40 C when it was properly ventilated even after being driven hard for a couple movies in a row. Now my custom built entertainment stand has a receiver slot that is much much smaller than the 15in clearance above, 9in clearance on the side, and 4in clearance to the rear that is recommended in the manual. There's probably ~2in on top and sides, but now that I think about it there may be 4in in the rear. It is open face with a fan on top of the receiver and another fan at the back pulling hot air out with similar setups for the other columns. With this setup, plus using external amps it's rarely above room temperature.

It's all situational. There are plenty of people out there that have had issues stacking components and plenty who haven't. The OP needs to do a little experimentation to see which camp he is likely to fall into.

Unfortunately the majority of furniture manufacturers of equipment cabinets/racks have little clues for this as well as running the cables and interconnects..
Definitely agree. There are far too few who understand and the ones who do usually charge an arm and a leg. Unless of course you make your own :D

R

Roman-dude

Enthusiast
Thanks, all. I guess I shall see. It'll def be a positive for an SACD player since it'll be farther removed from the source of heat (although I haven't noticed any negative consequences so far). And I'll keep monitoring the amp, in case the fans will become necessary.

thanks again!

bxboyjhs

Audiophyte
enough space for venting

hello!
i have a 7.5" high amp and am considering getting a rack with 8" openings btn the shelves..kind of iffy on whether this is this enough for adequate ventilation though... opinions?

thanks!
This w/ an AVR is most important and a good rule of thumb is about 4-5 on all sides.I have a Yamaha RX-V665 and when I got the avr it was placed in an enclosed rack.When I began to air it out a bit the avr would clip and go into protection mode,reset and all would be ok.I called Klipsch and they really scoffed at is was their speakers that clipped and it was due to overheating the avr. Now it's out of the rack and on top of other gear.I have not had any other problems since it being moved then recalibrated.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
This w/ an AVR is most important and a good rule of thumb is about 4-5 on all sides.I have a Yamaha RX-V665 and when I got the avr it was placed in an enclosed rack.When I began to air it out a bit the avr would clip and go into protection mode,reset and all would be ok.I called Klipsch and they really scoffed at is was their speakers that clipped and it was due to overheating the avr. Now it's out of the rack and on top of other gear.I have not had any other problems since it being moved then recalibrated.
Hmm, what do you mean by enclosed rack? Do you mean like an actual rack/large metal structure with lots of shelves, or something different? Obviously if you stick a receiver in an enclosed space with no ventilation and then drive it hard while it is running multiple speakers you're going to have trouble.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am actually glad this topic came up as I am a little concerned about my own equipment.

I just picked up Parasound Halo A52 & A23 amps. I definitely don't have 4-5 inch upper clearance, its more like 3", but it is not in a rack, it is in an open TV stand so there are no back or side walls. I am in the market for a new TV entertainment center, but I wanted to make sure I am ok for the short term.

CW342 - Bello

This is my stand to give you an example of what I am talking about.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You should be fine. Most people who have problems with amps or receivers overheating are keeping them in completely enclosed spaces. The large areas around the amp or receiver are generally for situations like that, or when you don't have proper ventilation so that the amp or receiver is able to heat up the surround air, and itself, to unsafe operating temperatures.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Overpriced, low CFM, and a waste of money if you aren't having over heating problems or if you aren't reading abnormally high temperatures from your units.

If you really want to do something there are better/cheaper ways.

What do you guys think about this Antec AV Cooler I was looking up. Does anyone have experience with this? If this actually works I would be interested in picking 2 up to cover my Halo Amps, but I have huge doubt that this is effective.

Antec AV Cooler

Antec VERIS A/V Cooler Review - Antec VERIS A/V Cooler - Legit Reviews

R

Roman-dude

Enthusiast
Just to follow up on this - so far there seems to be enough space/air - it barely gets hot and never excessively. Thanks again for the great comments!

bxboyjhs

Audiophyte
I have had a boatload of trouble w/ my Yamaha RX-V665 not getting enough room to breathe. When pushed it would clip shut down in protection mode and then you would have to turn it on again.I called Klipsch just in case and they scoffed at the idea that model of avr would clip the speakers vs. the avr itself. Now after that disappointment I went out and bought and Adcom gfa555 200wpc power amp and that's what I was using until I went for full seprates.The clear answer is at least 4'' of unobstructed air flow would be sufficient or use of fans. My original set up was in an inclosed rack which was not the healthy thing for the avr.For power amps w/ heat sinks and vents about the same rule applies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis