I just wanted to hear your opinion. I currently have my setup as follows:

Panasonic 50" Plasma
Onkyo HT RC270
Definitive Tech Pro Center 1000 - Center
Energy CF 70 - Front Left and Right
Energy CF 30 - Surround
Definitive Tech Pro Monitor 800 - Surround Back
Polk Audio PSW10 - Subwoofer

I have a dilemma now.. Definitive Technology!! ALSO, the DT looks better.. lol Do you personally think it would make a huge difference if i were to change my whole setup to DT from Energy?

something like this..
Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000 - Center
Definitive Technology BP6 - Left n Right
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 - Surround + Surround back

I welcome all suggestions. Thanks!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You will have to audition the Def Tech speakers.

I think Def Tech makes very good sounding speakers since I've listened to many of their speakers.

But go to Magnolia/Best Buy and see for yourself.

A

adept777

Audioholic Intern
You will have to audition the Def Tech speakers.

I think Def Tech makes very good sounding speakers since I've listened to many of their speakers.

But go to Magnolia/Best Buy and see for yourself.

I did just that and I have to say I like DT's sound a tiny bit better because of its built in subs. But they are EXPENSIVE! :(

I was just wondering what you guys thought about the current setup and just looking for opinions... but thanks a lot for your suggestions anyway!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did just that and I have to say I like DT's sound a tiny bit better because of its built in subs. But they are EXPENSIVE! :(

I was just wondering what you guys thought about the current setup and just looking for opinions... but thanks a lot for your suggestions anyway!
If you like the sound of Def Tech speakers, then I think you will love the BP6, BP8, BP10, etc.

But I think it's best to get an accurate tower and combine that with an accurate subwoofer. The subs inside these speakers are nice, but they will not beat an accurate dedicated subwoofer.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You can do better than the CF speakers, timbre matching the sound will
make a big difference. Also, changing that sub will make a big difference.

A

adept777

Audioholic Intern
make a big difference.
Also, changing that sub will make a big difference.
pardon me, but what is timber matching?

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
I just changed my setup from Paradigm to DefTech, and I am pleased. Seems like I am hearing more detail than before. Even the wife notices the difference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
pardon me, but what is timber matching?
Timbre matching is when people tell you that you need to buy speakers that are of the same brand name with the same driver sizes (1" tweeter, 6.5" midrange, etc.).:D

Everyone has an opinion, including me.:D

My opinion is, if your speakers sound great together, then they are timbre matched. If they sound coherent and don't draw attention to themselves, then they are timbre matched.

Besides a bunch of opinions, I wonder if there are any blinded studies looking into "timbre matching"?:D

Symmetry and aesthetics are on top of my priority list, so I like to have 5 identical speakers. Having speakers that all look similar to one another sure looks a lot prettier than different brands. But I don't really believe that you have to buy the same brand of speakers to "timbre match".

The most important thing to me is VOLUME LEVEL MATCHING. All the speakers need to have the same level.

Then after you experiment a little, you may want to increase the volume level of the center speaker by a few dB for perhaps louder, clearer dialogue.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just changed my setup from Paradigm to DefTech, and I am pleased. Seems like I am hearing more detail than before. Even the wife notices the difference.
I also agree with you that DefTech sounds much better than Paradigm, but that's just our opinions. I'm sure the Paradigm owners will disagree with you and me.:D

B

Bismarck

Audioholic Intern
make a big difference. Also, changing that sub will make a big difference.

I second the sub comment. A good sub can really make or break your system. Look at some of the internet direct dealers (epik, HSU, Axiom, etc...) for a good sub.

As far as rear speakers, I personally wouldn't worry about them too much. They are the least important speaker to worry about.

Are you listening to a lot of 2 ch. music, or more so movies? If music, then put your money in the front left and right speakers. if more so movies, a good center channel is paramount.

My second system is all def. tec. (BP7006, pro center 1000, BPX1.2 surrounds) and I enjoy it. The energy stuff isn't bad either. Bring some CDs/BDs to Magnolia next time you go and spend some time listening to both brands and see what you like better; however, I strongly suggest making sure everything is hooked up and setup properly before demoing speakers. The last time I was at a Mag. store i demoed some B&W speakers, thought they sounded like garbage, and found out at the end of the demo that the tweeters had been smashed. I also demoed some Martin Logans for about $6000 a pair, and they also sounded like garbage. I looked behind the receiver and saw they were wired out of phase, corrected the problem, and they were great! All that is to say that you shouldn't base your decision off of one demo at one store, make sure everything is hooked up properly and take your time.

Hope this helps.

B

Bismarck

Audioholic Intern
BTW, I see you have a 7.1 system. Many times 5.1 is adequate or better depending on your seating. is there a reason you have 7.1? If 5.1 will work you would have more money to spend on the rest of the system.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

If you don't like your energy C series, try the DT. If you like them, then trade them in for a pair of RC-70 and I guarantee you will like them much more, but you may need to add an external amp assuming your Onkyo has preouts (I am not sure if they do).

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Def Tech is cool and all...

but hwat you really want are some EMP Teks

A

adept777

Audioholic Intern
Thank you guys for all your input, it is very much appreciated. I have finally decided to go with Energy due to budget constrains :(

However they are indeed very nice sound and nice looking speakers. I am very happy. Here is a rundown of my current setup:

ONKYO HT RC270
Sonance Sonamp 260
Energy CC 10
Energy CF 70 x2 FR/FL
Definitive Techs Pro Monitor 800 x4 SL/SR and SBL/SBR
Onkyo SKW 204

I am using the Sonance Sonamp 260 to biamp the CF70s. I am more then welcome to all suggestions and upgrades. Thanks a ton guys!!

FYI - I am looking to replace the Onkyo sub with the HSU SF-2.

A

adept777

Audioholic Intern
I second the sub comment. A good sub can really make or break your system. Look at some of the internet direct dealers (epik, HSU, Axiom, etc...) for a good sub.

As far as rear speakers, I personally wouldn't worry about them too much. They are the least important speaker to worry about.

Are you listening to a lot of 2 ch. music, or more so movies? If music, then put your money in the front left and right speakers. if more so movies, a good center channel is paramount.

My second system is all def. tec. (BP7006, pro center 1000, BPX1.2 surrounds) and I enjoy it. The energy stuff isn't bad either. Bring some CDs/BDs to Magnolia next time you go and spend some time listening to both brands and see what you like better; however, I strongly suggest making sure everything is hooked up and setup properly before demoing speakers. The last time I was at a Mag. store i demoed some B&W speakers, thought they sounded like garbage, and found out at the end of the demo that the tweeters had been smashed. I also demoed some Martin Logans for about $6000 a pair, and they also sounded like garbage. I looked behind the receiver and saw they were wired out of phase, corrected the problem, and they were great! All that is to say that you shouldn't base your decision off of one demo at one store, make sure everything is hooked up properly and take your time.

Hope this helps.

Like I said in my earlier post I am looking to replace my Onkyo Sub with the HSU SF-2. But I am open to any other suggestions too so please let me know if you have any in mind. Thanks!

my budget for the sub is $400 max.

B

Bismarck

Audioholic Intern
Like I said in my earlier post I am looking to replace my Onkyo Sub with the HSU SF-2. But I am open to any other suggestions too so please let me know if you have any in mind. Thanks!

my budget for the sub is $400 max.
Go for the Hsu, I am sure you will love it. Remember, you can never spend too much on a sub!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis