Energy V-5.1 Bookshelf

S

SunnyD

Audioholic Intern
Shipping Material
They each came in their own box just larger then the speaker. They were well protected however, well encased in Styrofoam. Inside the Styrofoam was a white a cloth sack holding the speaker. A foam plug for tuning that can be placed in the rear was packed inside the box. As well as black a magnetic grill that can be put on the front.

Construction & Finish

I immediately noticed how solid and heavy the box felt for its size .It looks like it was forged. It screams quality. So much so that I stood on one, with one leg with all my weight. I'm 215lbs. That's 215lbs being transferred to one point of contact on to a book shelve speaker. The high gloss piano black looks high end as well. The Energy 5.1 are very sharp looking.

2.0 Listening Test
All instruments are precise and accurate. Comparing these to the M3s they replaced; The best way I can describe it, is its like when you are driving and your ears are clogged from a change in elevation and your ears pop. Everything seems crystal clear. The M3s are good speakers but are not at the same level of these.And they get RAVE reviews! The sounds are clouded and just a tad muddle in comparisons. Instruments don't have that separation. Anybody thinking about the M3s owe it to themselves to gives these a try. For a little bit more money you get more speaker.

One Metallica
I like this track because it has a slow build up. Its starts off with a single guitar strumming , very laid back and by the end of the song its multiple guitars going, snares, high hats, drums, and all out shredding. Not a forgiving song.

Every instrumental that entered the fray on this busy track was clear and separated from the other instruments playing. that's quite an accomplishment for this track

Bass
I was surprised that how low they can reach. On occasion while listening I was wondering where did" that" come from. Because I felt a taste of that "body" a sub brings. But you are still going to want to mate these with a sub for that low end body that is fleeting without one.

Mids
What can I say they thump.no issue

Phill colins air in the night

The reverb heavy tracks sounds as if the words are coming at you from all over. This song is another surprisingly busy songs. As phill collins sings, the classic low volume percussion and other instruments are and clear and exact. And the classic drum roll at the end , hits like it should on these speakers.

Power

They filled my 1080 space bedroom with more than enough sound.

Movie

I chose hell on wheels via fios service. Hell on wheels makes great use of 5.1 for both sound and music. Sound effects from the right and left speakers were superb, separated and exact. It was a point when the men were digging in the mud with pitch forks and shovels, and the sound of the impacts in the mud while a horse was walking around was spot on. The accuracy was seemed beyond the price of admission.

Highs

At moderately high levels the speaker was fine. At levels where you had to yell to hear the person next to you. The speaker was on the bright side. IMO That's not taking anything from the speaker at reasonable levels. I never listen to music or movies at such extreme levels. But if that's your cup, steer clear. You can also by the older model. I never heard them, but i heard they are forgiving at high levels. But if you listen to music like a sane person these should fit the bill. They sound very very good.

Yamaha AVR 463

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis