EMPtek Impression E55Ti Floorstanding Speaker System Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I suspect there's some minor cabinet resonance in the roughly 150-200hz region. I can't say with any sureness but I do want to open up my e55tis and give them the "alex treatment". I just don't have the right screwdriver bit =_=; Also, room effects are pretty dominant in the 40hz to 300hz region too.
I agree, the cabinet could probably be better braced on that speaker though Axiom would disagree ;) The EMP's do have a 1.2" thick front baffle which is really good. If you mod yours it would make for a great article for the site :)

nezff

nezff

Junior Audioholic
very nice looking speakers. Very very nice price also per pair.

F

farrow099

Audioholic Intern
The e55 ti's cost $100 more per pair than the Verus bookshelf speakers with stands. The footprint is pretty much the same. The e55 will walk all over the book shelves if set up correctly. The weak link to the e55's are the three woofers. If crossed over too low, or if some type of dynamic EQ is used with music they will sound a little muddy on the low end. These speakers blend very well with a good sub.

Set up is crucial as well as toeing in the towers. The center channel does not work well above the tv, esp if there is diffraction from the television. It will sound weak and muddy. For the price the Impression 5.0 with a good sub and set up correctly will rival many more expensive set ups that are recommended on Audioholics.

When used as a 2.1 configuration, whether listening to Symphonic music, Jazz or hard rock, the sound that can be wrung out of this set up will absolutely astound you!
They do not have the same footprint; You certainly cannot wall mount an e55ti!

I agree that the E55ti can rival many speakers costing much more money. I think they sound better than the Polk RTi Series and Klipsch Reference series. (both of which I've owned in the past 2yrs rti8's, rf82's, etc)

However, if you directly compare the E5Bi bookshelf model to the Aperion Grand Verus Bookshelf model (with no eq at all) it's a hands down loss for EMP. They sound well, muddy, in direct comparison to the grand verus.

When I was testing in A/B, I tried the E55Ti vs the Verus Grand Bookshelf before I got my E5Bi's off the wall to A\B with. Despite the tower's size advantage even my "bass head" younger brother still preferred the Aperion's sound. (as did I) It's worth mentioning that I have a massive, clean, powerful sub to pick up lower octaves. (custom 20hz tuned box, slot ported, 15" tc sounds lms-r run off a crown xls 2000 amp)

Please keep in mind that my EMP's (which are in like new condition) are sitting in my kitchen collecting dust. At the same time I'm waiting for a replacement verus grand center from Aperion. The EMP's are on ebay, but I haven't gotten a single offer.

If the Aperion's didn't sound better I would box them up and send them back for a full refund. In fact, I don't particularly care for the company (Aperion Audio), but their speakers do sound better! As reflected in the audioholics reviews!

I'm not a rich man, upgrading easily set me back a months pay. I could still send back the Aperions for a full refund if I wanted to! (well aside from a single bookshelf speaker which I damaged) The reason I don't is that they reproduce sound better!

The Aperions play cleaner, more detailed, less distortion, and they have a more cohesive soundstage that is also much more transparent. No matter which models in these two series you are comparing, the Aperions have higher quality raw drivers in them.

Inferior tweeter + Inferior midrange = Inferior sound!

Perhaps the higher midrange to woofer crossover on the new EMP center will take some stress off the midrange drivers and result in a cleaner sound? I can't say without hearing it... I don't see any change to the E55Ti specs, so I assume they still crossover at 3000/120.

Sorry to all the EMP owners who may feel slighted because Aperion has outdone EMP with the Grand Verus line. The Impression series are fantastic speakers FOR THE PRICE. But the Aperions DO have higher quality drivers which result in higher quality sound reproduction.

Last edited:
L

litmu

Enthusiast
However, if you directly compare the E5Bi bookshelf model to the Aperion Grand Verus Bookshelf model (with no eq at all) it's a hands down loss for EMP. They sound well, muddy, in direct comparison to the grand verus.

When I was testing in A/B, I tried the E55Ti vs the Verus Grand Bookshelf before I got my E5Bi's off the wall to A\B with. Despite the tower's size advantage even my "bass head" younger brother still preferred the Aperion's sound. (as did I)

If the Aperion's didn't sound better I would box them up and send them back for a full refund. In fact, I don't particularly care for the company (Aperion Audio), but their speakers do sound better! As reflected in the audioholics reviews!

The Aperions play cleaner, more detailed, less distortion, and they have a more cohesive soundstage that is also much more transparent. No matter which models in these two series you are comparing, the Aperions have higher quality raw drivers in them.

Sorry to all the EMP owners who may feel slighted because Aperion has outdone EMP with the Grand Verus line.
Thankyou All for the helpful suggestions you provided. Now I was earlier drifting towards E55Ti's, however it worries me (quoting from another thread) where Farrow099 compares the E55Ti's with the lesser priced Verus "bookshelf" speakers and finds that even the lower priced Verus bookshelf outsmarts the pricier E55Ti's towers.

So here I am thinking, if the lower priced Verus 'bookshelf' are THAT GOOD, then the Verus Grand Towers would really blow hands-down E55Ti's away? So maybe doling out twice for Verus Grand Towers is worth the extra spend?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
They do not have the same footprint; You certainly cannot wall mount an e55ti!

I agree that the E55ti can rival many speakers costing much more money. I think they sound better than the Polk RTi Series and Klipsch Reference series. (both of which I've owned in the past 2yrs rti8's, rf82's, etc)

When I was testing in A/B, I tried the E55Ti vs the Verus Grand Bookshelf before I got my E5Bi's off the wall to A\B with. Despite the tower's size advantage even my "bass head" younger brother still preferred the Aperion's sound. (as did I) It's worth mentioning that I have a massive, clean, powerful sub to pick up lower octaves. (custom 20hz tuned box, slot ported, 15" tc sounds lms-r run off a crown xls 2000 amp)

Please keep in mind that my EMP's (which are in like new condition) are sitting in my kitchen collecting dust. At the same time I'm waiting for a replacement verus grand center from Aperion. The EMP's are on ebay, but I haven't gotten a single offer.

I'm not a rich man, upgrading easily set me back a months pay. I could still send back the Aperions for a full refund if I wanted to! (well aside from a single bookshelf speaker which I damaged) The reason I don't is that they reproduce sound better!

Inferior tweeter + Inferior midrange = Inferior sound!

Perhaps the higher midrange to woofer crossover on the new EMP center will take some stress off the midrange drivers and result in a cleaner sound? I can't say without hearing it... I don't see any change to the E55Ti specs, so I assume they still crossover at 3000/120.

Sorry to all the EMP owners who may feel slighted because Aperion has outdone EMP with the Grand Verus line. The Impression series are fantastic speakers FOR THE PRICE. But the Aperions DO have higher quality drivers which result in higher quality sound reproduction.
Aperion Verus costs 2X the price of the EMP stuff and both companies are about building bang for the buck product. Of course the Aperion stuff is better but let's not throw EMP under the bus. EMP is more a direct comparison to the Aperion Intimus line or Axiom products.

This product for example:
The Best Small Tower Speaker of your life - Intimus 5T - Aperion Audio

is more comparable to the E5ti but its in the price range of the E55ti. The E55ti has many advantages and comes in cheaper. this is a more fair comparison.

EMP makes a value product but Verus line of product is really exceptional and shows that when you put more $$$'s into a legitimately well engineered product, you get better performance.

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
The e55 ti's cost $100 more per pair than the Verus bookshelf speakers with stands. The footprint is pretty much the same. The e55 will walk all over the book shelves if set up correctly. The weak link to the e55's are the three woofers. If crossed over too low, or if some type of dynamic EQ is used with music they will sound a little muddy on the low end. These speakers blend very well with a good sub.

Set up is crucial as well as toeing in the towers. The center channel does not work well above the tv, esp if there is diffraction from the television. It will sound weak and muddy. For the price the Impression 5.0 with a good sub and set up correctly will rival many more expensive set ups that are recommended on Audioholics.

When used as a 2.1 configuration, whether listening to Symphonic music, Jazz or hard rock, the sound that can be wrung out of this set up will absolutely astound you!

Did they sell? I am searching ebay for these speakers and coming up with no results.

--Ray

R

rocketishere

Enthusiast

Since they are similarly priced, what do you guys think about compairing the EMP E55Tir Tower System II and the Verus Fore Satellite system? Both seem like quality systems for the money. Benefit of having the towers of the EMP over the satelites of the Verus?

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
Check out their smokin black friday deals!!!

@ emptek.com/bfspecials.php

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
Can you post a link? I have searched for these on ebay and nothing comes up for emp tek or E55ti.

Thanks
Ray

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Since someone else brought this back, I don't feel bad about saying my E55tis arrived this morning! Can't wait to play with them over the weekend!

V

Volta

Audioholic Intern
Did you get the sale clearance speakers? I am very tempted to get these, at this price I should just do it.
I'd love to hear your thoughts once you get everything set up. Post pics!

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Did you get the sale clearance speakers? I am very tempted to get these, at this price I should just do it.
I'd love to hear your thoughts once you get everything set up. Post pics!
I did get the sale. I got the matching center and then ordered a Crown XLS1000 amplifier to drive them. Should have everything setup this weekend, minus my custom speaker cables coming from Nezff which should come next week.

I am going to use them for home theater, but the plan is to keep them forever and eventually use them in a 2.0 SACD setup.

V

Volta

Audioholic Intern
I did get the sale. I got the matching center and then ordered a Crown XLS1000 amplifier to drive them. Should have everything setup this weekend, minus my custom speaker cables coming from Nezff which should come next week.

I am going to use them for home theater, but the plan is to keep them forever and eventually use them in a 2.0 SACD setup.
Very cool man, hope you keep us posted with your thoughts once it's all set up.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
I set them up over the weekend and they sound great. They are massive though! One of mine was slightly damaged in shipping (cosmetically) but I think I am ok with it. It was a small press on the corner of the covering, so it barely shows up. I have just used them in HT so far and with a blu-ray, the sound is so full and detailed. I can't imagine these in an SACD setup, it would be INSANE.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
now just add a pair of Rythmik FV15 subwoofers!!!
A pair huh? Yea, just what I need in my 12x16 room, haha. I did warn the wife that an upgraded sub would be coming in the spring/summer, and she just laughed. She said "whatever floats your boat" which translates to "I know I'll enjoy it as much as you do, so feel free to buy it''

I was looking at the Rythmik, but I have several friends with HSU subs and they sound so good, you get a lot for the money too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis