EMPtek ES1010i Subwoofer Review

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
I'm really into vertically oriented, non-cylinder subs. I'm sure there are plenty of design challenges with such an approach, but reducing the width and depth of a boxed sub and making up the volume in height seems like a good idea for most room setups. Good looking sub, great price, just wish performance (extension primarily) were a little stronger.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Oh do tell...
they have a couple of different things in the works but they aren't convinced a large sub would sell well. I think if the ES1010i gets some good traction they will test the waters with a BIG sub.

Perhaps I should run a poll on what trade offs people are willing to accept on budget subs :)

S

slammin86

Audiophyte
they have a couple of different things in the works but they aren't convinced a large sub would sell well. I think if the ES1010i gets some good traction they will test the waters with a BIG sub.

Perhaps I should run a poll on what trade offs people are willing to accept on budget subs :)
Yessir you should.

T

the_phew

Enthusiast
I'd like to see an Epic Empire competitor (sealed dual 15" opposed configuration), but in EMP's sexy curved enclosure. Sell it for <$1k, they'd have a winner.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Stereophile wouldn't have noticed the incorrect driver impedance or port size, but they would have expounded on how this sub is "buttery, with a silkiness that bordered on ethereal".

Or more likely, they never would have reviewed it in the first place, instead trying to pitch the latest $10k interconnect or 'cable riser'.

Audioholics is the BEST!
LOL - truer words were never spoken.:)

Another great review, Gene and Audioholics team. No one is more comprehensive than you guys when it comes to subwoofers. Thank you for your hard work.

U

upallnight312

Enthusiast
I had no intention of buying this sub. I was saving up for something from HSU, Rythmik or Outlaw (VTF2, FV12 or LFM1-EX) in the $600 range.

But...

Emptek decided to have a flash sale today. $299 shipped. Change of plans, buying this now, may upgrade down the road.:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I had no intention of buying this sub. I was saving up for something from HSU, Rythmik or Outlaw (VTF2, FV12 or LFM1-EX) in the $600 range.

But...

Emptek decided to have a flash sale today. $299 shipped. Change of plans, buying this now, may upgrade down the road.:D
Wow ... here's the link.

Get 'em while they're hot.

W

walker17

Enthusiast
sub turning off!

I have had the 1010 for a few weeks now and have noticed that it turns itself off from time to time. I can not find any pattern to this and was wondering if anyone has had simular problems, or suggestions as to what I might try.
Thanks in advance! walker17

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have had the 1010 for a few weeks now and have noticed that it turns itself off from time to time. I can not find any pattern to this and was wondering if anyone has had simular problems, or suggestions as to what I might try.
Thanks in advance! walker17
The only reason it would do that is if the input signal is too low and the auto on/off circuit times out. I can't recall if the sub has a always on power option. If it does, try that. Also try turning up the sub level of your AV receiver and turning the sub level down on the sub to see if that helps.

W

walker17

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, Gene. It does have a continious on, I have tried that and it still is off some times when I turn on my system. It may come on in 5 min or somes times it will be 15. should I contact emp for a replacement? I sure hate to send it back, I have already sent the box to recycling. any advise or other things to check? Is the amp replaceable? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! walker17

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks for the reply, Gene. It does have a continious on, I have tried that and it still is off some times when I turn on my system. It may come on in 5 min or somes times it will be 15. should I contact emp for a replacement? I sure hate to send it back, I have already sent the box to recycling. any advise or other things to check? Is the amp replaceable? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! walker17
The sub will only turn on when there is enough bass signal sent to it. If you aren't listening to bass intense music or movie, than the sub won't likely activate. Try this, turn on your A/V receiver and immediately play something with a lot of bass and turn up the volume of your A/V receiver. If the sub still doesn't turn on, contact EMP and let them know. They may simply send you a replacement amp rather than you sending the whole sub back.

W

walker17

Enthusiast
Thanks Gene! I will contact EMP as , music with deep bass or not , it might or might not come on. Thanks again, walker17

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
I bought the ES1010i because it looked like a nice compliment to my SX-4T towers (well, the towers don't have a glossy finish, but the cabinet shape matched nicely), and I'm very happy with the performance. As mentioned, it doesn't put out the deepest floor-shaking lows that some bigger, more expensive alternatives do, but it's no slouch either. It's now part of my 5.1 system in the game room, and it's just right for room size - plenty tight and responsive for music, sports, and the occasional movie we watch in there. Now if I could get one of RBH's SX series center speakers in the same color, I'd be all set.

W

walker17

Enthusiast
x-over

If i use the LFE input on the 1010i, is the selectable x-over on the sub bypassed? Hope someone can help with this as I am having a difficult time setting up this sub. Thanks!
walker 17

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
If i use the LFE input on the 1010i, is the selectable x-over on the sub bypassed? Hope someone can help with this as I am having a difficult time setting up this sub. Thanks!
walker 17
No, it is not disabled.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
walker 17
If you use the "LFE" input on the sub, YES it bypasses the internal crossover and allows the sub to play fullrange. It's recommended to use this input when connected to an A/V receiver with bass management.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis