EMP E56Ci Center Channel

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
New center looks interesting but isn't kind of light for such a larger center with 2 6.5" woofers and 2 5.25" midranges, its only 28lbs.

Same with the subwoofer dual 10" woofers, but only a 250watt amp? And it only weights 45lbs? Thats only 1lb heavier than HSUs STF 2. 35hrz +/- 3dbs
HSU STF 2 25hrz +/- 3db, not exactly great performing.

So wouldn't this be a good example of the recent article about speaker cabinets and bracing ect..

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
New center looks interesting but isn't kind of light for such a larger center with 2 6.5" woofers and 2 5.25" midranges, its only 28lbs.

Same with the subwoofer dual 10" woofers, but only a 250watt amp? And it only weights 45lbs? Thats only 1lb heavier than HSUs STF 2. 35hrz +/- 3dbs
HSU STF 2 25hrz +/- 3db, not exactly great performing.

So wouldn't this be a good example of the recent article about speaker cabinets and bracing ect..
The 35Hz spec is wrong according to my contact at EMP. I believe they recently updated that on their website. It should be 30Hz range. The dual drivers likely result in more output above 40Hz than the HSU so its a trade off of extension vs SPL output. But you are also getting more aesthetics with the EMP. Bassheads would probably still prefer the HSU however. HSU is hard to beat in that arena for the $$$.

The EMP products tend to be a bit lighter than the RBH stuff for example but you get what you pay for. EMP is not designed with the "cost no object" approach but instead made as '"bang for buck". Construction quality is about on par with the likes of Axiom and Polk but the EMP stuff usually comes in a bit cheaper.

Take a look at the dimensional size and weight of the following 3 speakers:
http://axiomaudio.com/m80.html
http://www.emptek.com/e55ti.php
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/rtia/specs.php

Dimensionally the Axioms are 6211 in^3 while the EMPs are 4925 in^3, yet both speakers weigh about the same while the EMP's are 1/2 the price. The Polks have similar dimensional volume and weight to the Axioms and also come in cheaper than the Axioms by $400 or so per pair. Ironically, the EMPs actually have a thicker front baffle than the Axioms (1.2" EMP vs .75" Axioms). Again, similar build quality, certainly NOT the epitome of high end audio NOR is EMP claiming their speakers to be.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks Gene, I did not see those, they look pretty cool. Will you guys be doing a review?
I am scheduling Josh a review of the new 1010 sub and I will likely cover the Center and on-wall speakers sometime down the road.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Yeah I see your point. The EMP isn't as bad as the Axiom subs though, I'm sure if Axiom had the exact same sub they would want double for it LOL.

I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't a little beefier and dug deeper. But $599 + free shipping isn't a bad deal at all after I though about it.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yeah I see your point. The EMP isn't as bad as the Axiom subs though, I'm sure if Axiom had the exact same sub they would want double for it LOL.

I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't a little beefier and dug deeper. But $599 + free shipping isn't a bad deal at all after I though about it.
Yea I felt the same way initially but I know EMP's thinking. Give the most output possible and allow room gain to kick in below 30Hz. It's a valid approach, especially for budget minded folks. Plus its costly to make a cabinet look nice so that is a factor in price. You're not gonna beat HSU for ultra low frequency output per dollar unless you build your own sub or spend a little more for an SVS....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't see the point in that subwoofer, you have the same amp driving two woofers instead of one, it isn't going to get that much louder or dig that much deeper than the single driver version. You would be lucky to get a 3 db increase. Plus, it is awkwardly shaped and not competitively priced relative to other subs you can get for 600.

The E56Ci center speaker, on the other hand, could be a worthwhile upgrade. I always thought that the regular E5Ci was a puny center, especially for the E55Ti towers, and given the importance of the center channel in home theater, I think there was always better speakers sets to go with because of that weak link. It would be worthwhile to compare the E5Ci and E56Ci in your review, to see if the performance increase justifies the price increase. I also wonder how the E56Ci and the Infinity C351 compare, their drivers are the same size and are arranged in the same way, I think that would be an interesting comparison.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't see the point in that subwoofer, you have the same amp driving two woofers instead of one, it isn't going to get that much louder or dig that much deeper than the single driver version. You would be lucky to get a 3 db increase. Plus, it is awkwardly shaped and not competitively priced relative to other subs you can get for 600.
While they are using the same amp for the single and dual subwoofer models, keep in mind the dual design halves the amp impedance so it will produce more power. They don't really specify into what impedance load the amp is rated to 250 watts. Doubling surface area (2 drivers) and increasing box size will definitely produce more output across the board and more low end extension.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis