F

Fowl

Audioholic
I did not want to ask this in my previous post as I was discussing a different issue.

I was thinking of using a E5Ti as my center channel instead of using the E5Ci. I find that the center sounds a bit different. Thus I am thinking that using their smaller tower as the center would help with timber match.

What do you guys think?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I think thats a great idea.....I'm not a huge fan of the EMP center. IDK how you would integrate this into your environment though having seen your room.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I think thats a great idea.....I'm not a huge fan of the EMP center. IDK how you would integrate this into your environment though having seen your room.
I was thinking of raising the TV about a foot higher and use a rack to the side to hold the receiver, amps and BDP. If I raise the TV by the 12 inches, I would have about 36 inches in space below the TV. I think the E5Ti is 35 inches tall.

I am just wondering how it would feel looking at a tower speaker in the middle below my screen.

What are you thoughts on that.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
My guess, at least based on my environment is, that because the center is a horizontal MTM, the lobing is left and right, whereas the towers have a vertical lobing.

What happens is that the sound being sent up and down isn't "controlled" so there's a lot of reflections off the roof and floor. Try treating the vertical first reflection point on the center.

From watching movies I haven't heard a bad LCR pan at any time, though, it seems to be limited to test tones.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Hi GranteedEV,

My room is properly treated with acoustic panels from GIK. I placed them in the room based on their suggestions. Are you suggesting that I move the panels?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I think it would look rather odd IMO. As you will need to have the speaker off the wall a foot or more and the TV will be flat against the wall.

Hi GranteedEV,

My room is properly treated with acoustic panels from GIK. I placed them in the room based on their suggestions. Are you suggesting that I move the panels?
He's suggesting that you put one on the ceiling.....

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Hi GranteedEV,

Well, I don't know where you've got your panels, but I assume you know about first reflection points (IE seeing the speaker through a mirror from your seating point). The idea is to place an absorption panel on the cieling where you see your center channel speaker, just like you'd place a pair of panels on the L/R walls for either L/R speaker. Cieling treaments aren't as necessary with MTM designs like this for the main pair of speaker, but for the horizontal MTM center channel, you probably want carpeted floors and a single treatment in the roof at the first reflection point.

For the front soundstage you should have a total of at least 5.5 panels. Two on the left through which a mirror would show either tower, two on the right through which a mirror would show either tower, one on the roof through which a mirror would show the center, plus a carpet or rug on the floor through which a mirror would show the center.

For a non MTM speaker you might also want to add horizontal treatments for the center and vertical treatments, so adding an e5ti would still require you to add a ceiling treatment, along with now needing to make sure you've got the side walls treated.

The best choice would be a single e55ti but that's just not likely to work out unless you've got an acoustically transparent screen to hide all 3 behind and a projector. otherwise I really don't think the e5 would sound the same as an e55 either - not just a different size box but they two are both different designs.

Last edited:
F

Fowl

Audioholic
Hi GranteedEV,

Thanks for all your suggestions; I understand about the reflection points. I will need to do a bit of moving with one of the panels though. I have it above the TV on the wall, but with your suggestion I will move it to the ceiling and see what happens.

Will keep you posted.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis