EMP Black Friday Sale!

C

Calvin Hobbes

Audioholic Intern
Absolutely not.

I have compared. And I see absolutely no "astounding" benefits of towers over bookshelf or sealed over ported.

I do see an unequivocal benefit of multiple subwoofer bass over tower bass because the multiple subwoofer bass produces a shockingly and incomparably smoother bass response compared to bass from towers. But as far as midrange and treble, I see no difference whatsoever.
I am not arguing about the bass response between a tower and separate subs. i agree with you in that regard.

In this particular case with the Emp's, there is a serious compromise with the bookshelf in that it is using that 5 inch driver to cover a freq response from 60 hz to 3000 hz. Contrary to popular belief, the tower mids are coming in at about 500 hz and cutting off at 3000 hz. The mid is worked way to hard in the E5 b.

Comparing your Salons to your KEF's is a red herring, as both speakers are three ways. The KEF separates the frequency band among those three drivers. Not an apple to apple comparison with the two way Emp bookshelf!

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
So you think (or know for a fact) that the mids in the towers are crossed at 500hz? The website specs show 120hz crossover (highpass midwoofer to midrange x-over point). Never really looked into it, but I always thought a 120hz highpass on the 5.25" mid is pretty darn low

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
By the way, this sale ended....but is now back for a day or so I'm assuming. If I can get my rw-12d's sold today then I'm ordering up some e1010i's to play with for awhile

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
So a bookshelf that measures flat from 60Hz-20kHz will not be as good as a tower flat from 60Hz-20kHz just because the tower has more midrange drivers?

Perhaps you think a tower with 4 midrange drivers will also sound better than 2 midrange drivers?

You believe in your research (your towers and bookshelf), and I believe in mine (my Salon2 vs. KEF 201/2).
Where did I use the term "not be as good"? I'm saying your equation "Sat + Sub = Tower." (used in the context of the EMP speakers) is simply incorrect.
Are you saying a bookshelf that measures flat from 60 Hz - 20 KHz will remain flat regardless of the SPL it is asked to produce? Are you also saying the number of drivers doesn't impact the ability to produce SPL, especially when you have 1 5.25" driver going from 60Hz to 3Khz?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Calvin Hobbes

Audioholic Intern
So you think (or know for a fact) that the mids in the towers are crossed at 500hz? The website specs show 120hz crossover (highpass midwoofer to midrange x-over point). Never really looked into it, but I always thought a 120hz highpass on the 5.25" mid is pretty darn low
I always wondered about that spec when I purchased the E55ti's a few years ago. That 120 hz crossover does not make a lot of sense, especially since Emp designed those speakers to work with a sub. With an 80 hz cutoff those 6 drivers would be almost useless.

When I upgraded my center channel to the E56ci with it's spec'd 600 hz crossover, I decided to compare the towers to the center with test tones. Lo and behold, the point at which the tones move from the 6.5" drivers to the 5.25" mids occurs at about 500 hz on both the towers and the center channel. I'll let you draw your own conclusions...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am not arguing about the bass response between a tower and separate subs. i agree with you in that regard.

Comparing your Salons to your KEF's is a red herring, as both speakers are three ways. The KEF separates the frequency band among those three drivers. Not an apple to apple comparison with the two way Emp bookshelf!
Okay, I........... I.............. I.............. Alright you win. I can't argue with that. :D

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I always wondered about that spec when I purchased the E55ti's a few years ago. That 120 hz crossover does not make a lot of sense, especially since Emp designed those speakers to work with a sub. With an 80 hz cutoff those 6 drivers would be almost useless.

When I upgraded my center channel to the E56ci with it's spec'd 600 hz crossover, I decided to compare the towers to the center with test tones. Lo and behold, the point at which the tones move from the 6.5" drivers to the 5.25" mids occurs at about 500 hz on both the towers and the center channel. I'll let you draw your own conclusions...
I've also wondered that and brought that question up on 'another' forum that starts with letters and it's with forum lol. Nobody could answer me really so I just blew it off. Mainly because that's about the time my daughter was born and I was just too busy to really see if that 120hz crossover was true or not. I brought it up in the sense that having a sub crossover at say 80hz and another crossover at 120hz is a recipe for some peaks/nulls. Trying to integrate crossovers that close can be a pain. I also thought it was a little weird they would run a 5.25" midrange down to 120hz. Pretty rare to run a midrange down THAT low, though I've seen people have good luck around 250-300hz highpassed...though they are using much more expensive drivers.

I'll have to do the same test and see what I get. Might be hard since they likely use a lower slope (12db I'd assume), but I might be able to tell when they're coming in. Should be easy to see if they are or are not playing above like 150-200hz.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Per EMP's engineer:

"Regarding the question about the crossover; the low pass crossover is very shallow (1st order) until about 500 Hz at which time it transitions to a 2nd order slope"

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Per EMP's engineer:

"Regarding the question about the crossover; the low pass crossover is very shallow (1st order) until about 500 Hz at which time it transitions to a 2nd order slope"
I had been wondering about this myself, thanks for finding the answer.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I was hoping their sale would last till Friday, but I guess I missed the sale. I would of been able to buy the E55Ti towers and the large center. Hopefully, they will have the sale again soon. Or I'll just have to go and buy another sub.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Call them. Their customer service is great and it wouldn't surprise me if they let you have the BF sale prices this close to the sale. Brian is a nice guy. Tell him Clark Packard sent you to purchase them :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just FYI, EMP will sell a Single speaker that normally comes in Pairs - they are willing to split up a pair and sell you just one speaker if you want.

For those who want to use 5 identical speakers all around for surround sound. :D

I didn't realize the ES1010i subs were only $250 each for Black Friday. That was a great deal. I love "1010" subs. :D

Last edited:
ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Yup. That's why I sold my rw-12d's and picked up 2 of the e1010i subs. Heard nothing but good things about them from people that have svs, psa, etc. Obviously they're not going to bring the house down, but the sound is supposedly pretty great.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yup. That's why I sold my rw-12d's and picked up 2 of the e1010i subs. Heard nothing but good things about them from people that have svs, psa, etc. Obviously they're not going to bring the house down, but the sound is supposedly pretty great.
SPL isn't everything. ;)

I love my SX-1010N subs. Incredibly tight and punchy. I bet the ES1010i are similar to the SX-1010, but just toned down a notch. :D

I think EMP speakers + 1010i subs is a great choice.

I think you did well.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Thanks. One of these days you'll have to come by and have a listen. Maybe we can trade speakers for a few decades lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. One of these days you'll have to come by and have a listen. Maybe we can trade speakers for a few decades lol
Yeah, I may. You could visit my humble abode some day as well. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis