EMP Black Friday Sale!

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, I've decided that i can deal with the center hanging 3" out the front of my cabinet. E56ci ordered.

Also going to start looking at replacing the TV stand, but I actually really like my ikea piece of junk, really looks nice in my room.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Wall mount it! It's simple and cheap.

Here's the mount I used: Adjustable Tilting Wall Mount Bracket for LCD LED Plasma (Max 165 lbs, 30~63 inch), BLACK, UL Certified - Monoprice.com

Works great, looks great, etc. Not as slim as some of the slim models, but it didn't matter for my application. I used 2 of those mounts to hang a 65" ST60 and a 50" samsung. I think the center on top of of the cabinet looks better and helps to raise the center

Excuse the cord hanging down lol. Got a bad in-wall HDMI from monoprice so I had to make due until the new one showed up
pic.jpeg

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Two reasons why that's not happening:

1: The Wall above/behind my TV is quite busy already, I'd have to move a bit of stuff.

2: Living with parents currently, a situation that should be changing in the next few months. Don't really want to put holes in their walls.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
It is killing me that I cant order these yet! I recently did an install at a friends house that used the Impression series of speakers, and I was REALLY impressed with them. They look great, and sound great, and for the money (normally) they would be VERY hard to beat. Well once I did that setup I was sold on them for my system since I was in the market for something different. With this sale I don't think you can beat these speakers, and I very badly want to order up all 7 of the ones I want. I hope we close on this house before the sale is over!

Sean

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
Just pulled the trigger on a set of e55ti, a e56ci and e55wi surrounds. These should be a HUGE improvement over my onkyo htib speakers lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just pulled the trigger on a set of e55ti, a e56ci and e55wi surrounds. These should be a HUGE improvement over my onkyo htib speakers lol.
What about subs? Did you also get dual 1010 subs or other subs?

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
What about subs? Did you also get dual 1010 subs or other subs?
This is my first step in the upgrade process, I currently have a velodyne cht 8 that I will continue to use until I am able to upgrade my receiver and sub. I moved last year from an apartment to a house and funds have been going toward other things, but my setup that did ok in my old 12x12x8 apartment livingroom is now struggiling at best in my 15x30x8 livingroom that is also open to a hallway and dining room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is my first step in the upgrade process, I currently have a velodyne cht 8 that I will continue to use until I am able to upgrade my receiver and sub. I moved last year from an apartment to a house and funds have been going toward other things, but my setup that did ok in my old 12x12x8 apartment livingroom is now struggiling at best in my 15x30x8 livingroom that is also open to a hallway and dining room.
At least you have a little sub for now. :D

If it were me, I would have "built" my own "towers" by getting EMP bookshelf + EMP 1010 subs. I mean get 5" wood stands and place the EMP bookshelf on the stands ATOP the 1010i subs.

Sat + Sub = Tower. You will get more bass than from towers.

That's what I would do.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
At least you have a little sub for now. :D

If it were me, I would have "built" my own "towers" by getting EMP bookshelf + EMP 1010 subs. I mean get 5" wood stands and place the EMP bookshelf on the stands ATOP the 1010i subs.

Sat + Sub = Tower. You will get more bass than from towers.

That's what I would do.
You would still lose 1 midrange driver per tower. What impact do you think that will have? If bass is lacking, one can always add a separate sub. Tad harder to do with a midrange!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You would still lose 1 midrange driver per tower. What impact do you think that will have? If bass is lacking, one can always add a separate sub. Tad harder to do with a midrange!
You could just use a vertical MTM speaker on top each sub if you wanted more mid drivers. This curved gloss black Dayton speaker might make a nice fit on top of a black 1010i cabinet.

Anyway, the idea is interesting, to use the 1010i and a bookshelf speaker to form a budget tower speaker with great bass. According to Gene, the 1010i is flat up to 500 Hz. Treat each speaker/sub stack like a tower speaker, there is no reason not to use a very high crossover point in that case, maybe 200 or 250 Hz if your AVR can do that. What's more, you see the 1010i start rolling off in the mid 40s, I bet you distortion starts creeping up under 40 Hz, in which case you could might want to high pass the signal to the 1010is and use a deep digging sub fr the deep bass. That system would could pound your ears, it would be dynamic as hell, and it wouldn't cost a fortune at these sale prices.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What impact will having one less driver makes?

Absolutely none.

The important thing is the endgame, which is accurate sound reproduction. This means flat accurate on-axis FR and smooth off-axis FR and the ability to play @ the max comfortable volume without compressing. It doesn't matter if the speaker has 1 driver, 2 drivers, 3 drivers, or 20 drivers. It doesn't matter if the drivers are 5", 6", 8", 20". It doesn't matter if the driver is Al, Mg, Be, Diamond (C), Au, Ag, or Ti.

That's my opinion. The endgame is all I care about.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You could just use a vertical MTM speaker on top each sub if you wanted more mid drivers.
Very true indeed.

The E5Ci center would be the equivalent of the top cab of the E5Ti tower.

And the 1010-sub would be MORE than the lower cab of the E5Ti tower.

I would still get the E5Bi + ES1010i = $350 each "tower", which is more expensive than the $300 E5Ti towers, but the powered bass will be a lot better than $50 difference.

Last edited:
N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
What impact will having one less driver makes?

Absolutely none.

The important thing is the endgame, which is accurate sound reproduction. This means flat accurate on-axis FR and smooth off-axis FR and the ability to play @ the max comfortable volume without compressing. It doesn't matter if the speaker has 1 driver, 2 drivers, 3 drivers, or 20 drivers. It doesn't matter if the drivers are 5", 6", 8", 20". It doesn't matter if the driver is Al, Mg, Be, Diamond (C), Au, Ag, or Ti.

That's my opinion. The endgame is all I care about.
Accurate sound reproduction, sure. But accurate headphones, accurate bookshelves and accurate towers have different reasons for existence, and their regions of being accurate hardly overlap. You wouldn't have the salon2 as close to your ear as headphones. And, if you did, they wouldn't be perceived as accurate at that distance.

You started out by equating the emp bookshelves + sub to the tower with just more bass. I agree with the more bass, but you do lose a midrange and even if the 1010i is flat up to 500, that's nowhere near the crossover point for the tweeter. Substituting a Dayton MTM is then a completely different speaker and I don't see the equivalence to the EMP tower.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Accurate sound reproduction, sure. But accurate headphones, accurate bookshelves and accurate towers have different reasons for existence, and their regions of being accurate hardly overlap. You wouldn't have the salon2 as close to your ear as headphones. And, if you did, they wouldn't be perceived as accurate at that distance.

You started out by equating the emp bookshelves + sub to the tower with just more bass. I agree with the more bass, but you do lose a midrange and even if the 1010i is flat up to 500, that's nowhere near the crossover point for the tweeter. Substituting a Dayton MTM is then a completely different speaker and I don't see the equivalence to the EMP tower.
So a bookshelf that measures flat from 60Hz-20kHz will not be as good as a tower flat from 60Hz-20kHz just because the tower has more midrange drivers?

Perhaps you think a tower with 4 midrange drivers will also sound better than 2 midrange drivers?

You believe in your research (your towers and bookshelf), and I believe in mine (my Salon2 vs. KEF 201/2).

Last edited:
C

Calvin Hobbes

Audioholic Intern
So a bookshelf that measures flat from 60Hz-20kHz will not be as good as a tower flat from 60Hz-20kHz just because the tower has more midrange drivers?

Perhaps you think a tower with 4 midrange drivers will also sound better than 2 midrange drivers?

You believe in your research (your towers and bookshelf), and I believe in mine (my Salon2 vs. KEF 201/2).
Absolutely!

The bookshelves midrange driver is ported and the tower midrange drivers are in a sealed cabinet. The towers sound is cleaner with less distortion and more efficient. Especially at higher output levels. Set your bass management to 80 hz and compare the sound at equal levels, the difference in the sound is astounding. This is not a fair comparison.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Absolutely!

The bookshelves midrange driver is ported and the tower midrange drivers are in a sealed cabinet. The towers sound is cleaner with less distortion and more efficient. Especially at higher output levels. Set your bass management to 80 hz and compare the sound at equal levels, the difference in the sound is astounding. This is not a fair comparison.
Absolutely not.

I have compared. And I see absolutely no "astounding" benefits of towers over bookshelf or sealed over ported.

I do see an unequivocal benefit of multiple subwoofer bass over tower bass because the multiple subwoofer bass produces a shockingly and incomparably smoother bass response compared to bass from towers. But as far as midrange and treble, I see no difference whatsoever.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis