C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
EMP has their HTP-551T 5.1 package for $899.....is this too good to be true? I've not had a chance to listen to any EMP speakers, but only hear good things on this site.

cym_city

cym_city

Junior Audioholic
EMP has their HTP-551T 5.1 package for $899.....is this too good to be true?
I received mine less than two weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. I already had a sub so I emailed them asking if I can get that package without the sub. They replied back that I could and named the price at $599 for the 5.0 so I jumped on it. I'm waiting on my stands so I don't have surrounds hooked up yet but the towers and center speaker are great. Especially compared to what was available in my area to listen to.

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
I received mine less than two weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. I already had a sub so I emailed them asking if I can get that package without the sub. They replied back that I could and named the price at $599 for the 5.0 so I jumped on it. I'm waiting on my stands so I don't have surrounds hooked up yet but the towers and center speaker are great. Especially compared to what was available in my area to listen to.
Did you have a previous system to compare to? This will be my first. I'm planning on getting a yamaha 863. Now it's just what system to power...The pro review was very positive on this site, and that was at almost double the current cost of the system. I have a fairly large room so I'll probably get another sub, but even at that I'm only forking over $1400 for their 5.2 system which costs ~$2200.

J

jamie2112

Banned
EMP has their HTP-551T 5.1 package for $899.....is this too good to be true? I've not had a chance to listen to any EMP speakers, but only hear good things on this site.
I think they will go cheaper than that. You should jump on that deal..:D

C

chisberry

Audiophyte
I ordered this a week ago and according to fedex tracking, it is on the truck and being delivered today... unfortunately, I am at work and my house is empty! I hope to God that they don't just leave 4 giant boxes on my front steps (they would not last very long in my neighborhood).

Anyway, I got the $899 deal but also found a 10% off code for the audioholics store, so it came to $810. No tax, no shipping. I forget where I saw it, but it was somewhere on the audioholics website. I'm worried as I haven't heard much user feedback but the few I've seen have been positive.

My one gripe is that the EMP customer service was not very responsive. Granted, I never made a phone call, but I did send a few messages on their webpage that went unanswered. Luckily, the Audioholics customer service was excellent and played middle man to find out the tracking numbers and expected delivery dates for me.

Hopefully I will get my speakers tonight or tomorrow depending on what happens... I will try and write a post with a mini-review before end of tomorrow as the deal as I understand ends tomorrow.

D

DHC-3T

Enthusiast
just ordered from the audioholics store as well....seemed like too good a deal to pass on...although I don't know much about these speakers I am excited.....

C

chisberry

Audiophyte
Ok, my neighbor was kind enough to hold onto the speakers for me so they didn't get stolen! They were left right on my porch, and since the packaging states things like 'Tower Speaker' and 'Subwoofer' on it, I am very thankful that he did so!

Anyway, the first thing I noticed is that besides the subwoofer, all the other speakers are made by Destination Audio, not EMP. It states right on the box 'Made by Destination Audio for EMP'. When you take the speakers out of the box, they have Destination Audio marking labels and model numbers. Both companies are in Layton, Utah so they are either one in the same or they changed their name or EMP bought Destination Audio or something, but it was a bit sketchy and wish I knew this before my purchase (this is probably why you don't see a lot of feedback on these EMP speakers).

The speakers do look exactly like what is pictured, though. The speakers are attractive and the materials seem very good. The allegedly interchangeable baffles (couldn't find them on the emp website for the life of me) are covered by a removable black mesh cover, so only the outer trim can be seen with the black mesh cover on. They seem well built and I was pleased with their appearance.

I didn't have much time last night, so I was only able to remove them from the packaging and hook up the two towers to my Denon AVR-988. I probably listened to them for about an hour. I put in a rap cd, a rock cd, watched a bit of an HD broadcast, and a PS3 game. Besides the lack of bass (I need to get this sub hooked up) these speakers are pretty impressive. By lack of bass I mean lack of bass. There pretty much isn't any. The mids and highs sound really good though!

I really wish I had the whole system hooked up so I could say whether or not I'm very pleased with my purchase, but that'll have to wait until after work today. I am happy with the towers provided the bass from the subwoofer is enough for my little living room, which it shouldn't be too hard to fill. All I can really say is that the speakers are well constructed, they are good looking, and besides no bass the tower speakers are impressive for the price.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Any true Audioholic would call in sick the day after his new system arrived.:D
Ok, my neighbor was kind enough to hold onto the speakers for me so they didn't get stolen! They were left right on my porch, and since the packaging states things like 'Tower Speaker' and 'Subwoofer' on it, I am very thankful that he did so!

Anyway, the first thing I noticed is that besides the subwoofer, all the other speakers are made by Destination Audio, not EMP. It states right on the box 'Made by Destination Audio for EMP'. When you take the speakers out of the box, they have Destination Audio marking labels and model numbers. Both companies are in Layton, Utah so they are either one in the same or they changed their name or EMP bought Destination Audio or something, but it was a bit sketchy and wish I knew this before my purchase (this is probably why you don't see a lot of feedback on these EMP speakers).

The speakers do look exactly like what is pictured, though. The speakers are attractive and the materials seem very good. The allegedly interchangeable baffles (couldn't find them on the emp website for the life of me) are covered by a removable black mesh cover, so only the outer trim can be seen with the black mesh cover on. They seem well built and I was pleased with their appearance.

I didn't have much time last night, so I was only able to remove them from the packaging and hook up the two towers to my Denon AVR-988. I probably listened to them for about an hour. I put in a rap cd, a rock cd, watched a bit of an HD broadcast, and a PS3 game. Besides the lack of bass (I need to get this sub hooked up) these speakers are pretty impressive. By lack of bass I mean lack of bass. There pretty much isn't any. The mids and highs sound really good though!

I really wish I had the whole system hooked up so I could say whether or not I'm very pleased with my purchase, but that'll have to wait until after work today. I am happy with the towers provided the bass from the subwoofer is enough for my little living room, which it shouldn't be too hard to fill. All I can really say is that the speakers are well constructed, they are good looking, and besides no bass the tower speakers are impressive for the price.

C

chisberry

Audiophyte
Any true Audioholic would call in sick the day after his new system arrived.:D
HAHA this is my first non-hand-me-down system so I am still learning! I am on vacation next week though so I should have plenty of time to enjoy my new toys :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Ask Gene what 'Made by Destination Audio for EMP' is all about.
HAHA this is my first non-hand-me-down system so I am still learning! I am on vacation next week though so I should have plenty of time to enjoy my new toys :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Ask Gene what 'Made by Destination Audio for EMP' is all about.
I think it goes like this:
The company that owns RBH also owns Destination Audio which also owns EMP. These products were originally branded by Destination Audio but later moved to the EMP line. This is almost as confusing as the Prince name debacle or figuring out if its now John Cougar or John Cougar Mellencamp :confused:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It's been John Cougar since the late 80's:D
I think it goes like this:
The company that owns RBH also owns Destination Audio which also owns EMP. These products were originally branded by Destination Audio but later moved to the EMP line. This is almost as confusing as the Prince name debacle or figuring out if its now John Cougar or John Cougar Mellencamp :confused:

D

DHC-3T

Enthusiast
I read the review before I pulled the trigger..... and these speakers seem to be what
I am after...we watch mostly TV and lots of movies. I hope they go good with the new house we move in next week. I was able to get free shipping which is huge...similar packages from other places I was quoted $800-900 just for shipping.
Now I have a little time to get a receiver.....any ideas? I have a 42 Panasonic- model-75u ...PS3 and I'm gonna go with HD probably from Direct TV in the near future.

C

chisberry

Audiophyte
I read the review before I pulled the trigger..... and these speakers seem to be what
I am after...we watch mostly TV and lots of movies. I hope they go good with the new house we move in next week. I was able to get free shipping which is huge...similar packages from other places I was quoted $800-900 just for shipping.
Now I have a little time to get a receiver.....any ideas? I have a 42 Panasonic- model-75u ...PS3 and I'm gonna go with HD probably from Direct TV in the near future.
I just bought a Denon AVR-988 from Circuit City on clearance for 650. With an MSRP of 1200 I think that's a pretty good deal. Check online to see if they have one available in a store near you; I got the last one in my area. They are getting rid of the old Denon models in preparation for the new line coming out soon. I don't care having last years model if it will save me a couple hundred bucks!

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
Welp I pulled the trigger last night, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I, like you, felt like this was my package.

I've had my eye on the Yamaha 863 for some time now, mainly because of the video upconversion. My local channels don't come in HD with my DirecTV service, so I'm hoping this receiver will help out with the poor picture quality. If not, at least I'm left with a very nice receiver capable of powering a second sub...I'm fairly certain the one will not suffice in my large room.

C

chisberry

Audiophyte
Got the sub hooked up late last night. I must say it pounds! It compliments the tower speakers very well. I hooked up the center channel as well last night, and now only need to hook up the surrounds. As long as they work and don't suck (which I don't anticipate), then I would have to say I feel that this was 899 well spent!

C

cbags05

Audioholic Intern
Large or small room, you're always better off with 2 properly placed subs over 1. If you're receiver only has 1 sub out, you can still run multiple subs using these guidelines:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/subwoofer-connection-guide
I'm trying to convince my wife that two subs are needed, believe me.

Being fairly new to home theater, I didn't know I could run multiple subs from one out. I might consider getting the Yamaha 1800 now. Multiple room capability could come in handy for me. Thanks for the tip.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Got the sub hooked up late last night. I must say it pounds! It compliments the tower speakers very well. I hooked up the center channel as well last night, and now only need to hook up the surrounds. As long as they work and don't suck (which I don't anticipate), then I would have to say I feel that this was 899 well spent!
Congratulations on the new system. You should get many months (before the upgrade bug takes over) I mean years of enjoyment out of them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis