Emotiva XPR-5 Five-Channel Reference Power Amplifier Preview

majorloser

majorloser

I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question. You need a plug and a corresponding outlet like this.
But that plug uses a ground and neutral. That is what would be used with a 30A generator connection. The Emo amp has an IEC C20 connection with three inputs. Either the ground or the neutral would need to be dropped.

The cord I posted is for 220V 20A.
It has a NEMA 6-20P plug and an IEC C19 plug for the amp
A NEMA 5-20P has the straight on the opposite side and is for 120V

NEMA Plug & Receptacle Configurations Reference Chart (Straight Blade)

208V+ Straight Blade 20A

By their drawing it's two hots and a ground, no neutral.

I know the neutral and ground are bonded in the breaker panel, but it just doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
But that plug uses a ground and neutral. That is what would be used with a 30A generator connection. The Emo amp has an IEC C20 connection with three inputs. Either the ground or the neutral would need to be dropped.

208V+ Straight Blade 20A

I know the neutral and ground are bonded in the breaker panel, but it just doesn't seem right.
Yup ground and neutral are connected in the breaker panel.

Also, it is fairly common to see the ground an neutral tied together on something like an oven or drier install. I believe this is mostly against code nowadays, but this was a way to still connect a drier to a 3-prong outlet without replacing the 3 prong with the 4 prong outlet.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

208V+ Straight Blade 20A

I didn't think this sort of connector was allowed at 240v in residential building codes. I've seen it used in data centers. You need an expert on what you can and can't do, and I'm not that, so I'll bow out.

majorloser

majorloser

I didn't think this sort of connector was allowed at 240v in residential building codes. I've seen it used in data centers. You need an expert on what you can and can't do, and I'm not that, so I'll bow out.
Thanks the help.

I just find it strange that Emotiva keeps claiming how well their amps perform when connected to 220V, but never any explanation nor diagrams. At the very least provide links to the proper cord and connections needed.

I've been thinking about getting this amp and running it on 220V since I already went through the hassle of running two dedicated circuits to my closet.

J

JDM

Enthusiast
Question on the comment made that anthem amps are made in china. Which amp are you talking about. Anthem says on their site the P5 is designed and built in north america. Are you trying to say all the parts in the amp are made in china ?? What other amp uses 100% parts made in the US?

H

Harrison20

Enthusiast
Just like a comparison between the XPR-5 and the a series of XPA-1L's (that are due to come out soon). Which would be better for music and movies? Really don't think I need 400W per channel as I plan on keeping both my ears and speakers for some time to come.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Question on the comment made that anthem amps are made in china. Which amp are you talking about. Anthem says on their site the P5 is designed and built in north america. Are you trying to say all the parts in the amp are made in china ?? What other amp uses 100% parts made in the US?
I believe Mcintosh are made completely 100% in NY. Please correct me if i'm wrong. ;-)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I believe Mcintosh are made completely 100% in NY. Please correct me if i'm wrong. ;-)
Hmmm... 100%? Maybe. McIntosh makes their own transformers, the caps I've seen look like their custom-made for them in the US. I suspect they stuff their own boards. ICs, are likely designed in the US, but may be fab'd elsewhere. Resistors, inductors, most discrete transistors, wire, connectors, and other electronic components are likely to be made overseas. Nonetheless, the McIntosh products are probably as Made in the USA as one can reasonably get these days.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
And another line from Emotiva sails into the sunset. I've never seen so many products from a single company introduced and then retired.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I personally prefer components with an extremely long half-life. :D

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I was toying with the idea of purchasing of one? Oh well, I'll have to see what's next from them - or just get another Outlaw Amp that I don't need- LOL! My Outlaw Model 770 is rock solid- what a friggin Amp it's been, and still is.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was toying with the idea of purchasing of one? Oh well, I'll have to see what's next from them - or just get another Outlaw Amp that I don't need- LOL! My Outlaw Model 770 is rock solid- what a friggin Amp it's been, and still is.:D
Good thing you hang on the the Outlaw, there was never any need to change right?:D Fact is, most people just don't need a 5X400W power amp so I can't imagine they can sell enough to make money.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Good thing you hang on the the Outlaw, there was never any need to change right?:D Fact is, most people just don't need a 5X400W power amp so I can't imagine they can sell enough to make money.
Need, when did that figure into purhcasing decisions? :p

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I need 500WPC because my speakers are 92dB/2.83V/m and I listen to 85dB volume.

No. That's not it. Scratch that. I need 1000WPC because my 92dB/2.83V/m speakers are power HUNGRY. They really open up with more power.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I guess that audio updating it is a disease caused by Audioholics?

K

kodi41

Audiophyte
Hello all, I know this is an older thread, however, I would like to add my experiences. I have been a long time reader, but I have never posted before- until now. I read this entire thread, and I agree with some and disagree with some.

There are very much audible differences in top quality amplifiers. Those that claim other wise are either deaf, or have no real world experience.

I presently own and/or use the follow gear. Krell, Magnepan, Harman Kardon, Cambridge, NAD, B&K, ATI, Denon, Oppo, Audio Refinement, PS Audio, Project, Thorens, Shure, Grado, Linn, Integra Research, Integra, Proton, YBA, JBL, Marantz, Infinity, M&K, Odyssey Audio, DynaCo, Van Alstine, Audio Quest, Kimber, Kenwood, Klipsch, SAE, ClearAudio, Rega, Athena, Thiel, Panasonic Plasma, Visio Razor OLED, Pioneer Elite projector Sony ES, and many others.

Pro Audio - AB International, JBL, Crown, Carver, Mesa Boogie, Orange, Gallien Kruger, Urei, DBX, Revox, Apogee, White Audio Labs, QSC, Cerwin Vega, Wilson Pro- and others.

I'm not trying to brag, really I'm not- audio is / has been a life long passion for me, I guess my dad got me started when I was kid because he was in secret electronic stuff during the Korean war while he was in the Marine Corps, he showed me the value of tube gear- beginning with Fisher.

I spent some time with several bands in my younger years- ah, if only I could relive those years.

Any way, I'm not going to down or comment on any one's post save one- And I already did that up above.

I will tell you this, no joke aside- there is a huge difference between a Krell amplifier, and say NAD. Just as there are large differences between tube and SS- it really is that drastic- the Sonic's are vastly different. That being said the same holds true with PA designed gear, it's all power with no finesse- I have directly compared my Crown K series, AB International, and QSC amps against my Krell, the Krell wins every time no matter the program material. This on both cone speakers and Maggies. One thing to note: a good pre-amp can make ANY amp sound vastly better then it really is - (given volume level of course) keep this in mind.

However, at very high spl, long term usage- the Crowns are better because it's what they are designed for, they sound good, just not spectacular, like good quality home audio gear can and will, set up correctly at lower demands (say under 300/400 wpc).

As for hiss at low volume? Heh, I'd say you have some problems with your equipment, quality equipment doesn't make a sound until you want it to. If it has noise at idle, I can only imagine what it's doing at volume. (vinyl exempt)

Of all the gear I own, or have owned, my favorite's-

Receiver- B&K AVR 507 S, beats the hell out of my NAD T785, Period, I've owned many receivers.
AMP- Krell Evo series, with a special place for my KAV-400xi integrated- so small but huge sound and power. I presently own about 20 different amps.
Speakers- Magnepan 2.7qr and 3.5r, I do really enjoy the 803's but I do not own them, for my pc- Klipsch 2.5's. I presently own 9 pairs of speakers, not including SS speakers.
CD player- Cambridge 851c, an amazing digital source, replaced my YBA. However, my all metal (even the transport) Marantz CD-1 (first ever cd player made) still sounds quite good.
DAC- PS Audio
Blu Ray- Oppo
TT- Thorens TD-2001 / TD 321 with Shure Ultra 400S, and a tweaked Project Tube box w/ bugle boys.
SUBS- M&K I use two MX 5000 series.

What I am trying to get at here is that audio is a never ending experiment, and over the years, friends, family and ebay have been very good to me.

I learned long ago, never hang your hat on any one design, for the time will come, and something else will prove other wise.

I know.... rant.

Sorry

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis