L

lboregard

Enthusiast
hi, i have two polk audio monitor30 series ii (purchased them at the end of 2011). they sound great.

currently, im connecting them to my denon avr-3312ci, as the output for zone2. Zone2 source is an optical connection originating from my mac.

so, now i see emotiva xda-2 usb-dac and im wondering whether it can drive my monitor30's ... this mostly in order to avoid turning on my receiver, when i just want to listen to some music from my mac.

i dont see speaker connections in the back of the xda-2, just a headphone jack in the front.

i'd appreciate any advice. thanks in advance.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
You'll still need an amp as the xda-2 is a Dac / digital preamp.
Cheers, Mac

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The XDA is a pre-amp. It does not have an amp section as the 3312 does, so the answer is no. The XDA is intended to send it's signal to a amplifying device such as a power amp.

L

lboregard

Enthusiast
thanks macddmac and Nomo ! i understand now.

any suggestion on how to drive the monitor30s, other than going through my receiver ?

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Griffin makes an amp/ dac for 99.00 (GriffinTwenty)that is compact, twenty watts and works with any optical source.
Originally designed to dock an airport express, which has had a design change since, so styling is a little awkward if using with non- AE sources. The little beast also has a fixed subwoofer output with LP filter (80 hz) when plugged in.
I own one and use it in my 10x12 office.
Cheers, Mac

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis