ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I noticed this Differential Reference when I was looking at emotiva. What is different about a Differential Reference amp?
This from Emotivas site: "The Differential Reference Modules in the XPA-DR2 are each made up of a perfectly symmetrical balanced pair of high-performance amplifier modules. Each individual amplifier module already has vanishingly low distortion but, by connecting them as a balanced differential pair, a significant portion of the tiny amount of remaining nonlinearity is cancelled out. As a result, we are able to achieve even lower levels of distortion in the XPA-DR2, resulting in remarkably transparent sound, with unprecedented smoothness and clarity."
I'm not an electrical engineer, so I'm not going to endeavor to add my own words... I read about it on Emotiva and other sites... all I can really say is that it gives you more power and lower distortion. That's overly simplistic. :)
I wasn't all that worried about the distortion, but I was looking at speakers that wanted lots of juice. I didn't get them, rather am enjoying the hell out of Philharmonic BMRs with Outlaw Model 2200 amps on each.
Is nice!
And I clear reference level peaks, even if I never push it that far. But I can.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
This from Emotivas site: "The Differential Reference Modules in the XPA-DR2 are each made up of a perfectly symmetrical balanced pair of high-performance amplifier modules. Each individual amplifier module already has vanishingly low distortion but, by connecting them as a balanced differential pair, a significant portion of the tiny amount of remaining nonlinearity is cancelled out. As a result, we are able to achieve even lower levels of distortion in the XPA-DR2, resulting in remarkably transparent sound, with unprecedented smoothness and clarity."
I'm not an electrical engineer, so I'm not going to endeavor to add my own words... I read about it on Emotiva and other sites... all I can really say is that it gives you more power and lower distortion. That's overly simplistic. :)
I wasn't all that worried about the distortion, but I was looking at speakers that wanted lots of juice. I didn't get them, rather am enjoying the hell out of Philharmonic BMRs with Outlaw Model 2200 amps on each.
Is nice!
And I clear reference level peaks, even if I never push it that far. But I can.
I've pushed my speakers hard, and no matter what I havent got them to distort. I think I'm more worried than they are. :rolleyes: when the subs come I think I'm going to cross at 40 for most of the time. The QSC has slopes at 30hz if that dosent work and run full band.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's a race... your subs or my Phil 3's? Who gets theirs first?! ;)

Still stoked for you. Can't wait to see photos of the full family once you are all in!

Clearly, I'll have to start a new thread for the Phil 3s when they get in.

Cheers!

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I've pushed my speakers hard, and no matter what I havent got them to distort. I think I'm more worried than they are. :rolleyes: when the subs come I think I'm going to cross at 40 for most of the time. The QSC has slopes at 30hz if that dosent work and run full band.
which QSC???

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Which subs?:)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I don’t know what comes first distortion or blown drivers, or do they go hand in hand. I know I could blow my speakers real quick if I wanted to.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Hope everyone had a good holiday season. I am looking for some advice.

I am looking to upgrade my Denon AVR 1400. Do to space restriction I have to use one space for home theater and 2 channel audio. I have picked the Marantz AV7705 as my preamp. My question is, should i go with the Rotel RMB1585 $3000.00 or the Emotiva XPA5-Gen3 $2000.00? I am not sure why these products have such difference in price. I am aware that quality parts play a role in sound quality.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thank you

Eddie
My concern would be the life expectancy on the EMO amps. One of my amps is turning 20 years old this year and has been abused since day one and still performs flawlessly. Can EMO amps take this kind of punishment for 20 years?? https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_5_1/cinepro3k6.html

Attachments

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Hope everyone had a good holiday season. I am looking for some advice.

I am looking to upgrade my Denon AVR 1400. Do to space restriction I have to use one space for home theater and 2 channel audio. I have picked the Marantz AV7705 as my preamp. My question is, should i go with the Rotel RMB1585 $3000.00 or the Emotiva XPA5-Gen3 $2000.00? I am not sure why these products have such difference in price. I am aware that quality parts play a role in sound quality.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thank you

Eddie
Also keep in mind power amps are keepers, you can enjoy them for many years. Everything in your system will be replaced a few times but amps stay. I would recommend buy the best you can afford, that’s one component you don’t want to skimp on, just look at the return of enjoyment over the next 20+ years. I got amps that are over 35 years old and still keep up with what’s out there. I think they sound better then the new stuff

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
The 600w Rythmik plate amp. They are meaty.
I didn't know they where powered. Mine are passive. is that enough power for them subs?? I run a AB International 800.2 to mine Class A/B amps but they could use way over 1000 watts. They are rated at 1200 watts. 15" isobaric design.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
My concern would be the life expectancy on the EMO amps. One of my amps is turning 20 years old this year and has been abused since day one and still performs flawlessly. Can EMO amps take this kind of punishment for 20 years?? https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_5_1/cinepro3k6.html
Sadly I've owned a variety of Emotiva amps, most recently the XPR-1's (which I loved) but none of them lasted more than 5 years except the old MPS-1 but even 1 of the 7 modules blew out after about 6 years of ownership. Emotiva claims their latest series of amps with their modular construction area easier to service so maybe this will help with reliability too.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Sadly I've owned a variety of Emotiva amps, most recently the XPR-1's (which I loved) but none of them lasted more than 5 years except the old MPS-1 but even 1 of the 7 modules blew out after about 6 years of ownership. Emotiva claims their latest series of amps with their modular construction area easier to service so maybe this will help with reliability too.
If owned a few amps over the last 50+ years and only on one of them a rail went out on one of them and that was after about 20 years which I gave to Alex (fuzz) he fixed it and is still using it in his system
I have owned a few amps over the last 50 years and only one blew a rail after 20 years and that was a Parreaux. I gave it to Alex (Fuzz) he fixed it and is still using it in his system

Attachments

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
If owned a few amps over the last 50+ years and only on one of them a rail went out on one of them and that was after about 20 years which I gave to Alex (fuzz) he fixed it and is still using it in his system

I have owned a few amps over the last 50 years and only one blew a rail after 20 years and that was a Parreaux. I gave it to Alex (Fuzz) he fixed it and is still using it in his system
Best amp for the Souce is the Chord 500 + watts but the Times One at only 200 watts sounds great too

Attachments

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Love the Outlaw M2200 x 5 idea, as well as the Monolith

In my previous system I had a Rotel pre/pro and amp...I have 2 Emos in the current system. If it were me, of the two, Emo and Rotel I'd get the lower priced amp. Idk if you will realize any SQ difference, but certainly not enough to justify paying that much more for power.
For the money I think Outlaws are great amps. Had a 120x7 about 15 years ago and it sounded great, way better then I ever expected. Sold it to a friend of mine and it’s still in his system. I like outlaw products. Next processor is going to be an Outlaw

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't know they where powered. Mine are passive. is that enough power for them subs?? I run a AB International 800.2 to mine Class A/B amps but they could use way over 1000 watts. They are rated at 1200 watts. 15" isobaric design.
Probably because they are servo subs and not many amps are available with the circuits required. Not that it would be difficult to produce, just supply and demand I guess.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What speakers again? I think XO 40 Hz may not be a good idea unless your speakers, subs and room happen to get along well together without any help from REQ.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Also keep in mind power amps are keepers, you can enjoy them for many years. Everything in your system will be replaced a few times but amps stay. I would recommend buy the best you can afford, that’s one component you don’t want to skimp on, just look at the return of enjoyment over the next 20+ years. I got amps that are over 35 years old and still keep up with what’s out there. I think they sound better then the new stuff
An interesting point that I can agree to, but as always, it depends... For example, I paid 15X more for the Bryston amp, 8X more for the Parasound Halo than my only QSC amp. So if one finds no sound quality difference between them, one can afford to replace the QSC amp at least 10X and end up financially ahead. I am positive that QSC amp will more than likely last longer than 10 years.... One very smart person, obviously much smarter than me, is @Verdinut.

I don't have too many amps, but aside from the objective stuff, I have to admit, look matters. I like the look of my Bryston, followed by my Marantz(s), NAD, then the Halo, Adcom, Anthem, Outlaw, not counting my DIY amp, the QSC's look is dead last:D, so if I were to go that route I would have to find ways to hide it from sight.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis