Emotiva UPA-2 discontinued

B

Bun-Bun

Audioholic Intern
So this amp is discontinued and it's replacement is supposed to cost quite a bit more. I have a chance to still get a new one with 5 year warranty.

Should I jump on it?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't know they even had a replacement for that line. Where did you hear that from (the part about replacement, not that they were discontinued)?

If the price is right, I'd go for it.

B

Bun-Bun

Audioholic Intern
From one of their sales rep. Cost is $400 CAD shipped to canada ($299 USD before shipping)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't recall the price, but that sounds about what it was before, so I don't see why not. Are you getting new speakers too? I think you said you had a logitech setup in the 661 line level thread.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I can vouch that the UPA-1's have kicked my speakers in to high gear! I'm sure the UPA-2 is not far off.

B

Bun-Bun

Audioholic Intern
The UPA-2 will sit idle for now. Until I have the funds to get speakers. I was going to hold off but I just found out it is being discontinued... thus forcing me to act now.

I am currently considering Paradigm monitor 11's.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I say get the amp, even if you decide later you don't want to keep it, the resale value on emotiva amps are really good.

B

Bun-Bun

Audioholic Intern
The amp has been purchased.

Now I am going to sit and stare at this amp and wonder why I dont have speakers for it.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
The amp has been purchased.

Now I am going to sit and stare at this amp and wonder why I dont have speakers for it.
Sounds like a good plan. Speakers to follow soon I'm sure. That seemed like a good purchase! Congrats

B

Bun-Bun

Audioholic Intern
Sooner then my bank account would probably like! lol

B

Bun-Bun

Audioholic Intern
Got the amp today! Emotiva is a pleasure to deal with :D

Plugged it in... it turnes on! Now to find some speakers to test it with...

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
You could check your local craigslist for a reasonable used set of speakers in the short term...then resell when you are ready for the Paradigms. Likely you could resell the used speakers for what you bought them for.

B

Bun-Bun

Audioholic Intern
The used market here sucks! lol

But I shall keep an eye open on craiglist/kijiji

B

Bun-Bun

Audioholic Intern
ahaha just as I post that I found a set of speakers on kijiji. Quest towers and matching bookshelves for $80.

331412_10150595756519429_761049428_8715907_989350783_o.jpg

You can see my emotiva on my crowded stand and the center speaker from my logitechs... it looks really out of place now lol. Just need a proper center channel and sub and I am good to go!

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Th top units to those Quests look like my Dynaudios - how do they sound?

DJ

B

Bun-Bun

Audioholic Intern
They do look similar!

Unfortunately these speakers look better than they sound. But for $80 I still am not going to complain.

They lack any real soundstage and are quite midbass heavy. highest are descent. With a good EQ these speakers would sound alright.

but i am having troubles getting them to mesh with my logitech sub. Sub by itself sounds good, speakers by themselves sound good. Together and bass beats sound like part of it is doubled up and trailing one after another and others sound like they are canceling each other out and get that pulsating phase sound... its weird.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Maybe one of the drivers are hooked up out of phase. That happens more than you'd think with budget speakers. Might pay you to open them up and take a looksy.

DJ

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis