son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
I've had the UMC-1 for 9 months now, along with the XPA-5 Amp. There have been NO problems at all, for those worried about the UMC-1s quality. But, I'm learning a lot about the MANUAL EMO-Q. After doing the Auto Mic adjustment, I did some tweaking with the Manual Emo-Q. Since there are 11 BANDS per Channel, it took a while, mostly doing the Center and Sub adjustments. I have 5 'Definitive Tech' Mythos 2s. But, I thought I'd have to dump the POLK Micro 1000 Sub, since it is only has an 8" Driver. But the Micro 1000 is fairly expensive when it comes to Subwoofers, so I tried to make adjustments to it instead. Here is the SUB GRAPH, after adjusting it's 11 Bands. I know, your thinking there is no way that Sub can put out that much Bass with those adjustments. :rolleyes: But, now this Polk Sub is kicking butt and taking names, thanks to the UMC-1! :D Don't ask me how. But, there it is. It amazes me, that's all I know.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I like the UMC-1 a lot too. I have had the center channel drop twice since the latest firmware came out, but that's about the only issue I have had with it.

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
I like the UMC-1 a lot too. I have had the center channel drop twice since the latest firmware came out, but that's about the only issue I have had with it.
I haven't noticed that yet. I'll pay more attention, to see if it does.

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
Been wanting one since inception but the problems steered me toward an onkyo 886. Now the Onkyo is dead after only 8 months and now setting in a repair center. Maybe I should give the UMC a chance.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Emotiva now probably has the code and the experience to make their next Pre-Pro a success. The cost of entry to hang with the engineering staffs that Yamaha, Denon/Marantz/NAD, Pioneer, Onkyo have is nothing short of a tall order.

Now that they presumably have the momentum built up they will be able to keep it up where other niche players have failed. Still like to see them license Audyssey.

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
Been wanting one since inception but the problems steered me toward an onkyo 886. Now the Onkyo is dead after only 8 months and now setting in a repair center. Maybe I should give the UMC a chance.
Well, Emotiva will back it up. The UMC-1 has been the one piece that has helped in adjusting the sound in the room. With 11 bands of adjustment per channel, including the Sub, it's given new life to our listening experience. :D

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
My only knock against the UMC-1 is the lack of a second HDMI out. If it wasn't for that, I'd be running the UMC-1 + UPA-7 combo in my home.

majorloser

majorloser

My only knock against the UMC-1 is the lack of a second HDMI out. If it wasn't for that, I'd be running the UMC-1 + UPA-7 combo in my home.
Agreed, but that's why it only has a temporary home in my theater. I planned on moving it to the bedroom when the XMC-1 comes out (someday).

Like I've said before, my complaints about the UMC-1 are few but can be significant to some people.

• Not enough HDMI inputs
  • Needs a second video zone (additional HDMI outputs)
  • Needs front panel ports for HDMI input
  • Needs front panel microphone jack for calibration mic.
  • Needs front panel audio inputs
  • Needs front panel USB port for firmware upgrades.
  • Backlit remote would have been nice.
  • Additional audio zones would have been nice too.

As you can tell, I can't stand having to pull my rack out every time I need to access ports that could have easily been moved to the front. I've made up a patch panel to cover most of my need and included a two-channel HDMI switch to add my additional port.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=676870&postcount=41

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, but that's why it only has a temporary home in my theater. I planned on moving it to the bedroom when the XMC-1 comes out (someday).

Like I've said before, my complaints about the UMC-1 are few but can significant to some people.

• Not enough HDMI inputs
  • Needs a second video zone (additional HDMI outputs)
  • Needs front panel ports for HDMI input
  • Needs front panel microphone jack for calibration mic.
  • Needs front panel audio inputs
  • Needs front panel USB port for firmware upgrades.
  • Backlit remote would have been nice.
  • Additional audio zones would have been nice too.

As you can tell, I can't stand having to pull my rack out every time I need to access ports that could have easily been moved to the front. I've made up a patch panel to cover most of my need and included a two-channel HDMI switch to add my additional port.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=676870&postcount=41
I'd have to say that would not be stuff I would expect to see on this unit at that price point, and some of those aren't things that I think most would call needs. Front USB and front mic jack would be highly desirable though I think. I already have amps for all channels, so this guy is definitely one of the next items in line for me. I don't need it right now though :)

P

paullauth

Enthusiast
thanks for your feedback because i was looking at one of these but didnt know how well it work

D

doug c

Audiophyte
I have been looking at this too with the 5ch amp. Do you use any other AV receiver/processor/preamp with it? Is it an all-in-one for music and AV? I listen to alot of music and we usually watch a movie every night, so wondering if this unit would be great for managing audio and video for both.

majorloser

majorloser

I have been looking at this too with the 5ch amp. Do you use any other AV receiver/processor/preamp with it? Is it an all-in-one for music and AV? I listen to alot of music and we usually watch a movie every night, so wondering if this unit would be great for managing audio and video for both.
It would be an excellent choice for both audio and video.

Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia

Junior Audioholic
I love the sound that comes out of mine. I upgraded the FW one time about 6-8 months ago even though I had no problems and have not messed with it since. I do plan on putting on the final release which should be out very soon. They said most of the changes are tightening up the code and making the unit more responsive to commands. Right now it is slower then most others when changing inputs but the Harmony one handles that with delays. I do look forward to it being a little faster though.

majorloser

majorloser

I finished loading the v7.02.05 BETA firmware over the weekend. Got everything re-configured and calibrated. I seems to be working properly with no audio drops at all. Even the EMO-Q system seems to work better.

I can wait now till the final version has been out awhile before doing that again. No real need right now since it seems to be working properly with all my gear.

majorloser

majorloser

I flashed mine last weekend. I haven't really noticed any difference other than the super quick volume ramp up on start up, but I haven't used the system much in the last week.
To be honest, I'm not totally happy with the last 7.02.05 BETA version I loaded. It keeps switching between audio decoders when I switch channels on my DISH receiver. I was hoping this would fix that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis