Emotiva UMC-1 Pre-Processor Video Review

Z

zacjones

Audiophyte
UMC-1 $499 over at Emotiva with 40% upgrade coupon towards XMC-1 when it comes out. Quite the good deal if you're waiting on the XMC-1...

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I read somewhere that the XMC-1 only support HDMI 1.3a , it that true ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I read somewhere that the XMC-1 only support HDMI 1.3a , it that true ?
I was asking them a different question the other day and they mentioned it would be 1.4a.

C

Choirbass

Audiophyte
1.3 vs 1.4

the lack of 1.4 shouldnt matter even. 3d playback is possible either way. the only difference between them is a lack of acr, which only needs an optical/coaxial connection to function the same.

Or rather, the hardware of the umc-1 3d makes that possible without needing 1.4. so the xmc-1 should be just fine as well.

As far as the actual specs of the xmc-1, emofest is just a couple days from now, at which point itll be introduced.

Last edited:
LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
UMC-1 $499 over at Emotiva with 40% upgrade coupon towards XMC-1 when it comes out. Quite the good deal if you're waiting on the XMC-1...
Yes it is if the the factory has "Finally" fixed all the issues with a final firmware upgrade. I wanted the UMC-1 and the matching 200X5 amp bad. But after watching so many owners having to send the UMC-1 back time after time from switching issues with the HDMI. I purchased another HD AVR.:eek: I REALLY hope they fix the UMC-1 and and I would NOT purchase a new Pre/Pro from them until all the new customes do Emo beta testing ..time will tell. I am not bashing their Pre/Pro just saying what I have read and for 18 months and a neighbor has one he just finally sold after two trips to the factory and it still had problems. Every now and then a UMC-1 owner would post up his is working Great..... Emo PLease fix the UMC-1 I still want one.

C

Choirbass

Audiophyte
Firmware

The last I had heard of the next UMC-1 f/w release was around August 20th, patiently waiting myself. It's supposed to fix all remaining reported issues. More specifically, they can't do much about a cable box (or other hardware) throwing an hdmi related fit for example.. things like those are simply out of their hands (lax standards for protocols, etc). For others who are still experiencing problems themselves, I do hope they're resolved :).

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Terrible company. Just bought the UMC-1 based on their claims that the software was fixed. Not at all true. They stated the new deliveries had the updates, not so, 6 hours to install and it failed the verification phase. A call to service and they said oh well just leave it, great technical advice. Bought a ERC-2 they claimed was in stock, of course they don't have it and will not for months, but they do have my money I mean what else does the US arm of a Chinese manufacturer have to do other than practice good inventory management, and they can't do that. I knew I was buying cheap knockoff goods, but figured the price was right, you get what you pay for. But not with Emotiva, what you get either doesn't work or you don't get what you paid for at all. Caveat emptor, or more simply run like hell away from Emotiva.
Gimme a break dude, you spent 6 hours trying to do the FW update??? What are you using an Apple IIe?!?!?

Yes, your UMC-1 should have come with the new FW installed, yes the FW update process is a complete pain in the ***, but it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. If you had just followed the directions and put your computer in safe mode you shouldn't have had any issues. I've done the update numerous time with my wife's POS Toshiba laptop and it works every time. There's even a new quicker way of uploading the FW that makes the process a little faster and pain free. Did you bother to check the Emotiva forums for this information? Probably not. But here you go:

The Emotiva Lounge - Alternative Method for UMC Firmware Updating

Sorry your UMC isn't all you expected it to be, but don't blame Emotiva for the fact that your computer sucks.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry your UMC isn't all you expected it to be, but don't blame Emotiva for the fact that your computer sucks.
I don't think he is. Emotiva said that his product would have the new firmware, but it didn't. Then, their customer service seemed to be lacking when he wanted help with installing the firmware.

I think a lot of how we each interpret that post comes down to our experience with Emotiva. IIRC, you've been pretty happy with them, so it might seem like an out-of-line gripe. I had two amp experiences with them that involved poor quality control and bad customer service (which also routinely included saying one thing and doing another). So, I relate a bit more to the sentiment. :)

E

ephling

Audiophyte
Just plain wrong. I was using a I7 core Gateway with 8 gigs of ram. State of the art. In safe mode with networking. Failed over and over and over again at 88% of verification phase. The tech said oh well if its just failing verification just ignore it, however why the hell have a verification phase if it doesn't matter. All I wanted was a product that worked. I didn't realize this was a cult, I thought they sold electronics. Now that I look into it having been ripped off Emotiva seems just plain weird. The guy says he started the company as "therapy" with an intent to sell to "hobbyists". Saw this business model often when I was setting up internet companies in Israel. It's the nebbish model. Tell people that you have discovered a way to spin straw into gold. They can buy Krell quality for cents on the dollar from me because, well, I'm smarter than those fools at the high end who are overcharging. I mean what Kia owner claims his car is a Mercedes. If you bought a ERC-2 for 450 bucks you got a 450 dollar cd player, not one that is really worth 1200 dollars. If they really thought it was worth 1200 bucks they would sell it for that. If they could actually build 1200 dollar products for 450 bucks they would be aquired instantly by one of the real integrated equipment companies. Silliness.I just wanted what I paid for to 1) work and 2) be delivered.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Gimme a break dude, you spent 6 hours trying to do the FW update??? What are you using an Apple IIe?!?!?

Yes, your UMC-1 should have come with the new FW installed, yes the FW update process is a complete pain in the ***, but it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. If you had just followed the directions and put your computer in safe mode you shouldn't have had any issues. I've done the update numerous time with my wife's POS Toshiba laptop and it works every time. There's even a new quicker way of uploading the FW that makes the process a little faster and pain free. Did you bother to check the Emotiva forums for this information? Probably not. But here you go:

The Emotiva Lounge - Alternative Method for UMC Firmware Updating

The bottom line here is that a customer should NOT have to do anything but plug it in and play it.....Period. I am 61 and have no clue on how to hook up a PC and do firmware up dates. What about they told him they had stock onthe ERC2 and took his money and now wait months??? Read my post above
as I really wanted the UMC-1 and the 200X5 amp..glad I waited as I have watched the problems with this unit from day one...sad. If Emo ever Really fixes the issues I would purchase one but just don't think that is going to happen. It is odd that some of the are working fine and others never seem to work correctly. I read about more that don't work then one's that do. As you posted you have had to mess with doing updates many times and you still think it is a good unit:confused:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah you guys are right. I was a bit harsh. Ephling I apologize.

I have had my share of frustrations with the UMC-1, (audio drops, PITA FW update process), but I still think it's a great piece of gear and I've had nothing but good dealings with Emotiva's customer service. I can't stand one of their tech guy's Vince though, he talks forever and seems to always side step the questions I ask.

Anyway, you're right that your UMC should have came with the newest firmware and you're right that the update process sucks. I can't speak about them taking your money and not shipping you a CD player. That would piss me off too.

But try the FW update process I linked to. It seems to solve those overtime errors. Basically you upload the DSP file and then close the updater and let the UMC itself to the verification. I did it this way last time and it worked on the first try.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The bottom line here is that a customer should NOT have to do anything but plug it in and play it.....Period. I am 61 and have no clue on how to hook up a PC and do firmware up dates. What about they told him they had stock onthe ERC2 and took his money and now wait months??? Read my post above
as I really wanted the UMC-1 and the 200X5 amp..glad I waited as I have watched the problems with this unit from day one...sad. If Emo ever Really fixes the issues I would purchase one but just don't think that is going to happen. It is odd that some of the are working fine and others never seem to work correctly. I read about more that don't work then one's that do. As you posted you have had to mess with doing updates many times and you still think it is a good unit:confused:
I have numerous other electronics that I've done FW updates on. My Samsung TV had a FW update right out of the box, does that mean it's a crappy TV? Hell no. I love my Samsung. My Samsung BD player has needed a couple of FW updates. Does that mean that BD player sucks? No..... er yes it does suck but not because of the FW. :D

Due to ever changing standards and technologies electronics these days sometimes require updates. It simply isn't possible for an electronic manufacturer to test their equipment with EVERY conceivable configuration to find glitches, especially a small company like Emotiva.

I think the UMC-1 is a good unit because it works in my system and sounds WAY better than the Yamaha receiver I had previously. Has the UMC-1 been perfect? Certainly not. But 98% of the time it works flawlessly and sounds good doing it.

My Mustang doesn't run perfectly every single day either, but I love the hell out of that car. I guess some of us just have a higher tolerance for electronic hiccups than others.

Last edited:
LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I have numerous other electronics that I've done FW updates on. My Samsung TV had a FW update right out of the box, does that mean it's a crappy TV? Hell no. I love my Samsung. My Samsung BD player has needed a couple of FW updates. Does that mean that BD player sucks? No..... er yes it does suck but not because of the FW. :D

Due to ever changing standards and technologies electronics these days sometimes require updates. It simply isn't possible for an electronic manufacturer to test their equipment with EVERY conceivable configuration to find glitches, especially a small company like Emotiva.

I think the UMC-1 is a good unit because it works in my system and sounds WAY better than the Yamaha receiver I had previously. Has the UMC-1 been perfect? Certainly not. But 98% of the time it works flawlessly and sounds good doing it.

My Mustang doesn't run perfectly every single day either, but I love the hell out of that car. I guess some of us just have a higher tolerance for electronic hiccups than others.
I understand what you are saying.. but my Samsung BR player has undated firmware several times too... wireless :) I click a button(we have the same player). in 35 years I have owned many different tubes amps. SS seperates etc and I must admit my Yamaha AVR sounds great with with Klipsch Heritage speakers. They just really don't required a huge amp to play clean 100 DB... I don't play it that loud.. I would go deaf;) sooner. I had such a bad experience with a Onkyo TX-SR805 HD AVR with firmware problems and HDMI parts failing and sending it back for repairs several times and cost for shipping etc. This made me look for a unit that was a plug and play. My newest Yammie HD AVR has been perfect for 20 months RX-V1900 7.1 130 X 7... and Yamaha still has not released a updated firmware for it. it's still in warranty and I go to the Yamaha factory site and check from time to time to see if there are any new updates...none. My 2003 Yamaha AVR 7.1 120X7 (non HD or HDMI) is still playing great. Not sure what Yamaha you had but some speakers Need more power.

Mustangs are cool been there done that 1966 GT-350... Corvette 1996 LT4 Coupe was my last fast car I just sold after 12 years.. had problems with it just like my old GTO, SS 454 Chevelle etc over the years. I could work on them back then:D so it was a labor of love for my fast auto's... I do understand. Wish I had your PC skills and could move my cabinet to remove the AVR.

But my AVR is in a huge wall cabinet that is made for my 55" flat screen that takes two strong men to move and as you can see I have a lot of vintage analog units plugged into it. I have to pay someone to come out to remove a AVR or in your case the Emo seperates. If Emo had the firmware where it was a wireless like my BRP and press a button and reset from the default settings I would have a the Emo seperates.... maybe someday Emo will finally resolve the HDMI switching issues etc....... I hope so, I really wanted them, a lot of features for the money.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Mustangs are cool been there done that 1966 GT-350... Corvette 1996 LT4 Coupe was my last fast car I just sold after 12 years.. had problems with it just like my old GTO, SS 454 Chevelle etc over the years. I could work on them back then:D so it was a labor of love for my fast auto's... I do understand. Wish I had your PC skills and could move my cabinet to remove the AVR.

But my AVR is in a huge wall cabinet that is made for my 55" flat screen that takes two strong men to move
Definitely the update process that Emotiva uses sucks. I too don't want to move my cabinet or remove the UMC-1 and have to re-do all my connections, so I leave the USB cable plugged into the UMC and end up propping my wife's laptop up on a couple of pillows to be able to reach. It's a pain in the *** to be sure and I swear up and down and curse Emotiva until I'm blue in the face the whole time I'm doing it, but once it's done and I'm back in sonic bliss I tend to forget how much I hate the process.

Certainly the FW updates I've done on other products have been much simpler, just download a file to a flash drive, plug it into a USB port on the TV/BD player and you're good to go. I don't know why Emotiva uses a process that can be so difficult.

Got any pics of the GT350????

D

dad311

Audioholic Intern
I thing the update issues are more related to windows and the PC hardware then the UMC. Ive little issue updating firmware, takes about 20 minutes and works 9/10 times.

majorloser

majorloser

I thing the update issues are more related to windows and the PC hardware then the UMC. Ive little issue updating firmware, takes about 20 minutes and works 9/10 times.
But it's still PITA to update :mad:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis