Emotiva/Outlaw/DefTech

A

Asif1980

Enthusiast
Hi,
I am planning to upgrade my HT system. I currently own Definitive Tech BP8060 Tower, 8040-Center and 8040 SR speaker system with Pioneer AV receiver, Oppo 103 and planning to upgrade AV receiver with separates (Emotiva XMC-1 or Marantz AV7702MKII with Outlaw 7140 7-channel amp).

I am sure above mentioned pre-amps/power amplifier are high performance.

Will my Def-tech speakers are sufficient enough for the proposed pre-amp + power amplifier system?

Thanks- Asif

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Hi,
I am planning to upgrade my HT system. I currently own Definitive Tech BP8060 Tower, 8040-Center and 8040 SR speaker system with Pioneer AV receiver, Oppo 103 and planning to upgrade AV receiver with separates (Emotiva XMC-1 or Marantz AV7702MKII with Outlaw 7140 7-channel amp).

I am sure above mentioned pre-amps/power amplifier are high performance.

Will my Def-tech speakers are sufficient enough for the proposed pre-amp + power amplifier system?

Thanks- Asif
I would say definitely. Def Techs aren't hard to drive, very efficient. I think your system will sound better overall. I'm going back to separates myself and I own an all Def Tech system minus the sub which is SVS.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
With those speakers, unless you have a relatively large room you may be not get any benefit from spending more on AVP and power amps. Which AVR do you have now, and room dimensions?

A

Asif1980

Enthusiast
With those speakers, unless you have a relatively large room you may be not get any benefit from spending more on AVP and power amps. Which AVR do you have now, and room dimensions?
Thanks for your reply, are those def.tech speakers towers BP8060ST/ BP8040Center are considered quite powerful speakers?

I currently own Pioneer Elite SC-65 and room dimension is 35 X 12.

Last edited:
A

Asif1980

Enthusiast
I would say definitely. Def Techs aren't hard to drive, very efficient. I think your system will sound better overall. I'm going back to separates myself and I own an all Def Tech system minus the sub which is SVS.

Thanks for your response.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think you're going to gain much by changing electronics as you might think, but that would depend on your spl needs. Very expensive for very little difference. If you do need more amp why settle for the 7140?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also don't see a subwoofer listed, if you don't have one that may be a better investment.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your reply, are those def.tech speakers towers BP8060ST/ BP8040Center are considered quite powerful speakers?

I currently own Pioneer Elite SC-65 and room dimension is 35 X 12.
The room is quite big but it also depends a lot on your listening position. Please use the calculator linked below to estimate the power you need.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

If you do need more power because you sit far from the speakers and enjoy loud music, the 7140 won't help much anyway. You may be better off getting 3 M2200 for the front 3 speakers and let the Pioneer drive the surrounds. The 8060ST has good sensitivity, and the woofers are already powered, so if you sit say 10-12 ft I think you will be fine with the SC-65 alone.

A

Asif1980

Enthusiast
BP8060 tower speakers have built-in SW, with 2 tower I get 2 SW 300w each

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
BP8060 tower speakers have built-in SW, with 2 tower I get 2 SW 300w each
A "true" subwoofer is a speaker that can play well down to at least 20hz. Reading the info in the link provided by HD (if I read it right), it looks like your speakers begin to roll off at ~50 - 60hz and drop 5db at 40hz then drops off quickly after that. A true subwoofer will be able to support your Deftech's in the lower frequencies. They're just not full range towers. Though adequate for most music they'd definitely need some help for movies or anything with a lot of deep bass.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Why not look at a cheap RSL speedwoofer as they call their subs with built in wireless system? Would compliment the Def Techs nicely.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A "true" subwoofer is a speaker that can play well down to at least 20hz. Reading the info in the link provided by HD (if I read it right), it looks like your speakers begin to roll off at ~50 - 60hz and drop 5db at 40hz then drops off quickly after that. A true subwoofer will be able to support your Deftech's in the lower frequencies. They're just not full range towers. Though adequate for most music they'd definitely need some help for movies or anything with a lot of deep bass.
In their words:

The BP-8060ST’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.66/–2.26 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3dB point is at 39 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 36 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.68 ohms at 338 Hz and a phase angle of –50.34 degrees at 213 Hz.
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/definitive-technology-bp-8060st-speaker-system-review-test-bench#6zfsp4u4qhbJk5I8.99

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only thing I think you would benefit from is Audyssey Dynamic EQ (Denon, Marantz, McIntosh).

If you set your towers up with LFE inputs and treat them like monitors + subs, I think Dynamic EQ would enhance the mid-bass experience of those internal subs.

Other than that, I don't think external amps would do anything for them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis