Emotiva IPS-1 comparison

D

darcman

Audiophyte
How does the IPS-1 compare soundwise to the UPA-7?

Do the XPA and UPA amps sound the same?

Were the MPS-1 and IPS-1 amps better designs over the curent ones?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Did we really need 3 threads on the same amplifier in the same hour by the same person...?

The IPS-1 and MPS-1 are modular designs, meaning they're essentially 7 monoblocks in a chassis. They'll have better channel separation because the channels barely, if at all, interact with each other. On that note however that era of Emotiva amps had their power ratings given at 1% THD, while the more recent ones IE the UPA-7 power ratings are .1% THD, so you can probably bump the IPS-1 down to ~140wpc instead of 150 wpc, which is pretty much identical to the UPA-7 in 2 channel mode (140wpc) although less in ACD mode (~120wpc) which for what it's worth it negligible.

What the UPA-7 had as its advantage is that it uses a very large power supply, meaning it likely has more capabiliity for instantaneous power draw for any given channel.

XPA vs UPA

From what I've heard, and I don't know if I believe it the UPA series is a bit more tonally neutral, while the XPA-5, 3, and 2 are a bit more energetic up top, and the XPA-1 returns to the UPA sound with extreme power.

D

darcman

Audiophyte
Thanks for the info, but was it really necessary to give me a tongue lashing over a few posts. I was just trying to educate myself and I didnt want to overload the same post with to many questions. I also had another motive, I wanted to send someone a private message and I couldnt because I was new and didnt have five posts. Sorry to inconvenience you with having to read 3 similar posts.

Thanks Again

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
^ it probably was better, but had an MSRP ~1200 whereas the UPA-7 retails for $700 and virtually the same performance (less efficient though as you suggested)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis