S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Hello all, I'm new here, though I've been reading the review side of this site for some time now. I have a passion for HT and car audio and could be called an 'audioholic' (the first step is realizing...you have no problem!)

I was just curious about the high number of reviews of Emotiva products because there seems to be a much higher representation of their stuff vs anyone else in the Pro Review section. Thanks for any replys.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
they're a good bang for the buck brand for amps - there should be a big demand from readers here to review them. as far as i remember there are about 2-3 reviews of emotiva. the rest are probably product announcements.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They review what companies send them, and Emotiva happens to be good at sending products in for reviews because the internet is how they get their name out.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva feedback

For more feedback on Emotiva look for info from owners of this forum or on the new Emotiva forum. I have their LPA-1 amp. You would be hard pressed to find another manufacturer that makes a 6-7 channel HT amp in the same <$500 price range.

Also, some companies prefer the "press release style" reviews and avoid the more detailed and objective reviews with measurements from Audioholics.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Mike c., I'm not saying Emotiva does or doesn't give good bang for the buck, but look at the amplifier review section. Out of 16 reviews, 4 are Emotiva products. That appears, to me anyway, to show a decided lack of objectivity. It begs the question, how does one company get such complete coverage when dozens of others get nothing?

Emotiva may or may not send in products for review, but for Audioholics to allow their coverage of the market to become so skewed looks less than objective to me. But maybe I'm missing something...

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Mike c., I'm not saying Emotiva does or doesn't give good bang for the buck, but look at the amplifier review section. Out of 16 reviews, 4 are Emotiva products. That appears, to me anyway, to show a decided lack of objectivity. It begs the question, how does one company get such complete coverage when dozens of others get nothing?

Emotiva may or may not send in products for review, but for Audioholics to allow their coverage of the market to become so skewed looks less than objective to me. But maybe I'm missing something...
Hmmm, that's a pretty snap judgement and coming from someone with 2 posts, both on this issue, and having just joined. That makes me wonder about what you're insinuating and why.

There are also 2 reviews of Onix, 2 of Sherbourn, 2 Rotel, 2 Parasound, an Axiom, a Marantz, an Integra, and a Thule. Would you suggest some lesser conspiracy regarding the Onix, Parasounds, Sherbourns, and Rotels, too?

Emotiva is an up and coming amp builder that have become popular around here. It is no surprise that they would be reviewed...here or anywhere else.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
They review what companies send them, and Emotiva happens to be good at sending products in for reviews because the internet is how they get their name out.

i think j_garcia nailed it. if I was a reviewer ... rotel sends me 1 to review, emotiva sends me 4 ... heck I'll review them all. and that leaves me with 80% of my reviews being emotiva. which doesn't mean anything by itself. it's just that, emotiva is very available for reviews. i can't force Krell, Parasound, and the millions other brands to send me items for review. it's voluntary in a sense.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Although a little skepticism is healthy, people often miss out on opportunities when they present themselves because they're too skeptical. Emotiva makes great products which they share with reviewers and they just simply happen to be the hot thing right now. Some months from now, someone else will be in the spotlight. It's a normal thing. Skeptic or not, people may order one of their products and decide for themselves. If they feel it's not up-to-snuff, they send it back with no hard feelings.

If you truly have been visiting this site often, you would know that people here generally tell others to compare stuff they're thinking of buying. No one is shoving suggestions down anyone's throat unless that's what they want and even then we resist doing so.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I doubt AH staff would turn much down in the way of reviews. The review what they are asked to review just like j garcia said. I doubt if Krell sent an amp to AH that they wouldn't review it.;)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
That appears, to me anyway, to show a decided lack of objectivity.
Perhaps you could demonstrate your alleged lack of objectivity using examples from the reviews in question. Are there: a) errors in the testing methodology; b) incomplete data; c) evidence that negative qualities have been ignored; or d) anything to suggest that Emotiva has received preferential treatment not warranted on the basis of the product submitted for review?

If each review stands up to critical scrutiny in its own right, then each review is valid in it's own right, regardless of how many or which other brands are reviewed.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
My apologies for the tone of my first post to you. (But you have an interesting way of introducing yourself, lol.) I would be remiss not to welcome you aboard to Audioholics and a pretty decent group of people.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A similar question came up before regarding speaker reviews and the answer was more or less what I said. They don't solicit companies to send them products, the companies send what they want reviewed, so it isn't like they are actively seeking out Emotiva products.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
they're a good bang for the buck brand for amps.
Perhaps, but consider this: Their only receiver costs $1300. That would buy one heck of a high-end model from a more mainstream brand like Onkyo or Yamaha. It is also a lot more than most people need (particularly if they are using reasonably efficient speakers.)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps, but consider this: Their only receiver costs $1300. That would buy one heck of a high-end model from a more mainstream brand like Onkyo or Yamaha. It is also a lot more than most people need (particularly if they are using reasonably efficient speakers.)
True, but not every swing is a hit, nor every hit a home run. :)

The receiver is also down to $1000 and will (according to their forum) be the first and last receiver in their product line.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai

Im wondering why you care so much?

Im the first guy to say that reviews are meaningless,being that i have personal friends who make their living in the hi end audio business i know a bit more than the average consumer when it comes to how much back room action there is within the business,and there is alot but not only from reviewers.

My point is this,whats your stake in asking this question,you make it look as if the Audioholics staff is on the take but you never explain your position,what is your interest in this,are we to believe that your just a curious consumer who just happened to see a bunch of reviews on this site?
Or is it that your somehow connected with a competing audio manufacturer ?

Yes there are paid reviews on the internet but right along with that there are paid trolls who's job is to make othe gear look inferior or to raise questions about other competing gear quality,or to raise questions about the legitimaticy of the reviews that are posted.

Im personally more leary of a person who pops in out of nowhere,raising eyebrows in his first post, with subtle accusations, than i am over the Audioholics staff review policies.

Whatever your real life reason for posting this thread was is of no matter,Audioholics does reputibile reviews & as far as Emotive being reviewed here,im one of the people who bought an Emotiva product based on the reviews ive read here, so far im glad i did.

i just have not had enough time to post an owner review bit i will soon & in that review i'll thank Audioholics for showing me that product.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmm, that's a pretty snap judgement and coming from someone with 2 posts, both on this issue, and having just joined. That makes me wonder about what you're insinuating and why.
Im glad somebody else saw through this noobs thread!

Im not buying for one second that this guy dont have a vested interest somewhere in audio.

Anybody else here remember the guy who claimed to own about $50,000 in Mcintosh gear but only wrote bad threads about the manufacturer? He is currently still at work on another forum but this time he has all new Mac gear,he sold all the stuff he hated & bought more from the same manufacturer,he hates the new gear as much as the old too:rolleyes:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
im one of the people who bought an Emotiva product based on the reviews ive read here, so far im glad i did.

i just have not had enough time to post an owner review bit i will soon & in that review i'll thank Audioholics for showing me that product.
pictures! reviews! your comments! :D

N

nhpm510

Audioholic
Welcome Sharkman!

Good that u make us aware of any potential issues concerning over coverage of Emo. Believe me, there are plenty of fanboys all over the boards for all types of gear. However, not sure all that gear could stand up to independant AH testing. If Yammie, insert manufacturer here, wants to be covered here tell them to send IT in. Heck, AH might even test your personal gear if you'd like and it isn't out of production.

BTW, have u ever actually heard any Emo gear? IMHO, it is nice value for the regular guy that can"t drop 5k on an amp.
Good luck in ur audio pursuits.

Rgds, PM

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Im glad somebody else saw through this noobs thread!

Im not buying for one second that this guy dont have a vested interest somewhere in audio.

Anybody else here remember the guy who claimed to own about $50,000 in Mcintosh gear but only wrote bad threads about the manufacturer? He is currently still at work on another forum but this time he has all new Mac gear,he sold all the stuff he hated & bought more from the same manufacturer,he hates the new gear as much as the old too:rolleyes:
I seem to have hit a nerve, although I was just making an observation. It just doesn't appear objective is all I'm saying.

I would have imagined that Audioholics could invite companies to send new products for review and therefore get a decent variety of the marketplace. If this is not so, then Emotiva may be taking advantage of the situation and dominating the pro review section here. This is a smart move on their part and by the looks of it has won fans.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis