Emotiva BasX MC-700 7.1CH AV Processor Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Emotiva Audio Corporation just announced their new BasX MC-700 7.1CH Surround Sound AV Processor. It comes armed with 4K UHD support, Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD decoding, dual subwoofer outputs (1 balanced) and Emo-Q room correction and eleven user-programmable fully parametric equalizers per channel.

What's the best thing about this new Pre/Pro? The Price! Emotiva's retail price of $599 is pretty amazing, but their limited time introductory price of $499 (includes shipping) is just insanely awesome!

Read: Emotiva BasX MC-700 7.1CH AV Processor Preview

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like a good product for a company that sells amps to offer!

Does anyone know of a good review that gets into the nitty-gritty of comparing Emo-Q to other room-EQ systems?

It must ru8n pretty cool since there don't appear to be vent slots on any sides of the body!

There is plenty of free space inside...almost hard to see where the 9 lbs comes from"

Edit - Check Image #5:
http://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/mc-700

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking the same thing about the insides lol. I already have mine on order :)

I don't know how Emo-Q stacks up to Audessey or others, but I felt it did a pretty good job. Nowhere near as good as DIRAC ;) after hearing the XMC-1.

R

RTPBob

Enthusiast
The unit does not support the new DTS:X and Atmos decoding. Does anyone know what happens if you use this unit with a disk player like the Oppo UDP-203 unit which does decode the new formats?

Thanks

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The unit does not support the new DTS:X and Atmos decoding. Does anyone know what happens if you use this unit with a disk player like the Oppo UDP-203 unit which does decode the new formats?

Thanks
You generate a black hole that consumes the entire solar system. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Thanks
I actually asked Emotiva about the lack of these formats and they have not gotten back to me.

Not sure what you are asking actually? The player only has 7.1 analog out so the most you can get is 7.1 with it internally decoding. Since the MC does not decode those formats, you could pass it as PCM via HDMI but it still only has 7.1 (.2) out so you won't have the additional channels. Sending DTS-X or Atmos to a receiver that does not decode them simply gives you 7.1.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The new sound formats also have the DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD tracks so it will work just fine.

S

Skylinestar

Enthusiast

Thanks
You'll get the basic 5.1 / 7.1 mix.

P

Paul Calderon

Audiophyte
I have now had the MC-700 for about 6 weeks. It works well, except when moving from the 4K HDMI outputs to the standard HDMI HD outputs, as in from 4K Roku to Comcast TV. It's connected to an LG 65B6P OLED TV. Sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds or so, and a few times the audio won't come on and I've had to shut the unit off and reboot it on again. Then twice when watching a 1080i (comcast cable) TV program, the audio format changed when they went to commercial, changed again for a local commercial, and I unexpectedly lost audio all together. Reboot again! I got Emotiva to have Logitech add their remote codes. I can use my Logitech 650 remote for some things with it, but I'm still working on training it to be able to switch from 1080 to 4k mode. Haven't succeeded yet, but hope springs eternal. I'm told there is a firmware update coming, Bring it on!! When you do, make it so we can see (onscreen) the volume control bar in both HDMI modes! The MC-700 can use some tweaking. Audio quality is very nice, way over and above any higher priced competition.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis