Emotiva Acquires Sherbourn Technologies for CE Channel Debut

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I've already given two examples. Feel free to do a little research on why people send them back / don't like them.
Bitter much?

It is one thing to say you don't like them from past person experiences buy you seem to hate them based upon what others have said. Have you owned an Emotiva product?

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Bitter much?
:confused: What??? :confused:
It is one thing to say you don't like them from past person experiences buy you seem to hate them based upon what others have said. Have you owned an Emotiva product?
Uh... So you don't read reviews? You'd still buy something when piles of people say it sucks? You must be a marketing person's wet dream.

Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia

Junior Audioholic
All my Emo gear works fine and that includes the UMC-1. There will always be unhappy customers but like you said they sent them back. It seems that some people respect chronic complainers but if people say how much they like something then they're a fanboy. I would be willing to bet Emotiva has far more happy customers then unhappy ones.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Bitter much?

Remember, I hate them too...

On a better note, I drank The Balvenie PortWood 21 Year Old last night...yummy!!!!!!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
:confused: What??? :confused:
Uh... So you don't read reviews? You'd still buy something when piles of people say it sucks? You must be a marketing person's wet dream.
And there are more piles of people who say it doesn't suck. Show me some reviews from PUBLICATIONS that show they suck.

I an not a big Emo fan. I have owned their gear and for the money it was decent stuff. Would I own one of their processors? No.

What I find funny is that Emo has OEM'd Sherbourn and you don't like Emo but like Sherbourn. :confused:

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
And there are more piles of people who say it doesn't suck.
Then you've found a pile of people who don't know better. The average user isn't going to know that the wizards at Emotiva configured the UMC-1 to do bass management incorrectly. However, their lack of knowledge doesn't change the facts.
Show me some reviews from PUBLICATIONS that show they suck.
Ahh... So the informed consumers who often know more than the people who write reviews for magazines don't count because they actually paid for the gear instead of being bribed with advertising to write nice things about the gear? Clearly such bought and paid for reviewers would have discovered that Emotiva doesn't have a clue how to do bass management in the UMC-1.

Better yet, please show me any review from PUBLICATIONS that shows anything sucks. They don't exist. Why might that be? I'm sure it must be because everything they review is great. :rolleyes:
What I find funny is that Emo has OEM'd Sherbourn and you don't like Emo but like Sherbourn. :confused:
Really, I said I like Sherbourn? Can you please point out where?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Then you've found a pile of people who don't know better. The average user isn't going to know that the wizards at Emotiva configured the UMC-1 to do bass management incorrectly. However, their lack of knowledge doesn't change the facts.
Ahh... So the informed consumers who often know more than the people who write reviews for magazines don't count because they actually paid for the gear instead of being bribed with advertising to write nice things about the gear? Clearly such bought and paid for reviewers would have discovered that Emotiva doesn't have a clue how to do bass management in the UMC-1.

Better yet, please show me any review from PUBLICATIONS that shows anything sucks. They don't exist. Why might that be? I'm sure it must be because everything they review is great. :rolleyes:
The published reviews have the specifications of the products which yes I do find useful. Are you implying Audioholics has gotten bribed in the past for their reviews?

Again I want to state I am not a big Emo fan. I have only owned their amplification products and have no personal experience with their processors that you seem to loathe so much. I just take some exception to anyone who posts one line comments about products they don't own and have no hands on knowledge.

Well, there goes Sherbourn...
This was the comment I was referring too. And you are correct you did not say you liked Sherbourn. I took this as you had a positive view of the company and their association with Emo has suddenly brought them down.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Remember, I hate them too...

On a better note, I drank The Balvenie PortWood 21 Year Old last night...yummy!!!!!!
I'm here sitting at the store, so I went n checked the price on that stuff

$225 :eek:

I can't wait for the rep for that stuff to give us some samples :D

The best scotch can't beat the best Cognac though, I'm personally saving up for some Drouet Paradis :p

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Ahh... So the informed consumers who often know more than the people who write reviews for magazines don't count because they actually paid for the gear instead of being bribed with advertising to write nice things about the gear? Clearly such bought and paid for reviewers would have discovered that Emotiva doesn't have a clue how to do bass management in the UMC-1
Do you own a UMC-1?
From one person who's never had a UMC-1 to another, it looks pretty damn straight forward to me:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=preamps&action=display&thread=11627

Actually no way that's possible after all if internet people said the bass management sucks it HAS to be true! Oh and Marantz SR5004s ALL SUFFER FROM THE POP OF DEATH!!!11!!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Exactly which Emotiva Processor or now DAC HASN'T shipped out with some glaringly obvious bug?

How did the XDA-1 make it through with the volume ramp problem? Don't they have Beta Testers.

BTW in the small market Emotiva sells to they couldn't afford the SNAFUS that the UMC-1 launched with. I would consider their amps, but this last debacle with something seemingly as simple as the XDA-1 really sealed their fate far as my purchasing money when it comes to any of their components with software built in.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

The UMC-1 has Dolby certification, Dolby checks the bass management configurations as a compliance condition.. :confused:
What is the specific issue for bass management that is incorrect..

Just my $0.02... ;)

H

hooch

Audiophyte
The UMC has bass managment issues..there were numerous threads showing this. What is is debatable however is whether the the issues can actually be heard.

I own a lot of Emo gear..XPA-2, XPA-3, ERT 8.3's, and more. But the whole UMC release left a very sour taste in my mouth. IMO..EMO clearly knew the UMC had serious issues when they first released it...even as they publicly stated how awesome it was. I don't see how you can argue otherwise. I had one for about 3 weeks but returned it. I was going to reconsider another one but the UMC has so many bandaids on it know I bought something else. The XDA-1 volume issue has me wondering exactly what kind of operation they're running. Emotiva provided a textbook example of how not to release a new piece of gear.

As someone else has mentioned..EMO OEM's most of Sherbourne's gear so EMO buying them is a moot issue IMO.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
The UMC-1 has Dolby certification, Dolby checks the bass management configurations as a compliance condition.. :confused:
What is the specific issue for bass management that is incorrect..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Is that like the THX certification on the Lexicon BD-30 (a rebadged OPPO)? You know, where it turned out it didn't actually meet the THX standard? ;)

The bass management in the UMC-1 is fine as long as you have all your speakers (and sub) set to the same distance. If you don't, it's hosed. This is because they add the delay to each channel (distance correction) prior to applying bass management. This means you're summing out of phase signals to the subwoofer. This means you get combing and other problems.

That is not the proper way to do bass management. Even if it's not audible (which seems like a highly questionable claim), there's no reason why anyone who had the slightest clue what they were doing would do bass management that way. Further, if they cooked up some crazy, off the wall, & incorrect scheme to do bass management, what else did they do wrong that hasn't come to light yet?

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
The only Emo product I own is the XPA-2 amp.
While there are "prettier" amps out there, it's still a nice looking piece to my eyes. And given that it's in a dark cherry credenza cabinet, it's not all that visible anyway. But I'd still like it if it were on an open rack.
I've seen pics of systems with all Emo gear on an open rack that look really nice.
And, more importantly, it's performed flawlessly for the two and a half years I've owned it.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I think the Emotiva amps are decent enough, The new XPA lines anyways, but as stated -anything as far as processors go, I'd be waiting for things to pan out and be stable before investing in them...

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
That is not the proper way to do bass management. Even if it's not audible (which seems like a highly questionable claim), there's no reason why anyone who had the slightest clue what they were doing would do bass management that way. Further, if they cooked up some crazy, off the wall, & incorrect scheme to do bass management, what else did they do wrong that hasn't come to light yet?
With the amazing amount of scrutiny that the UMC-1 faced, no doubt some done by competitors who don't want this upstart to gain anymore market share, I doubt that any further issues will come to light. That being said, if their next pre-pro suffers more bugs they might as well give up on them.

If you are unhappy with Emotiva, fine, but many have had very good experiences with their amps, cd player, 2 channel pre-amps, speakers, subs, and now DAC(which does have a volume issue for some but not all. Some using it as a pre amp are fine with the volume level in their system, some are not). They really are offering more than anyone else at given price points.

This acquisition of Sherbourn will only add to their prestige.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis