Electric Cars: Any recommended reading?

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I'm not interested in buying one, I'm just curious about how they work. I searched Amazon, but I'm having trouble finding a book about how they are designed, the battery types, how they are cooled, how the power is transferred, etc. Again, not really an argument for or against them (but that's interesting too), just curious how current automakers are doing it... (yes, I'm a nerd)

Anyone have any recommendations?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You won't find a lot of that since that is pretty proprietary to each of them, and that is often very carefully guarded. What you may find will likely be generic. AFAIK, cooling of the batteries is something that is still in the works and hasn't really made it to production yet. Power transfer usually is going to be similar; the motor is directly connected to the axle in much the same way as a gasoline car.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
You won't find a lot of that since that is pretty proprietary to each of them, and that is often very carefully guarded. What you may find will likely be generic. AFAIK, cooling of the batteries is something that is still in the works and hasn't really made it to production yet. Power transfer usually is going to be similar; the motor is directly connected to the axle in much the same way as a gasoline car.
Yeah, I've seen some on the Internet that are four motors (one per wheel), others two motors (rear wheels). Just not a lot of tech info, maybe I'll have to wait hehe.

Yeah, the cooling seems to be the major concern. How to cool the batteries. Also I think heat decreases battery lifespan, so the cooler they can keep them the longer the range.

Just interesting to learn about. I think we're mostly coal fire, so, electric cars aren't exactly a huge improvement, but I think eventually we'll find the technology or something equivalent.

Also was curious about the transmissions, since the torque is all at the bottom of most electric motors (at least the ones I've messed with) there must be some reduction to keep them from eating drivetrain parts.

I read in AutoWeek today Ferrari's Enzo replacement will be hybrid, coming mid 2013. Porsche has that 918 in the works too....

Not sure if it's a trend or a reality, but, certainly everyone from BMW to Honda to Ferrari seem to be on the bandwagon.

Interesting stuff. Even if electric engines aren't the answer, internal combustion engines aren't very efficient to begin with (good ones are like 20% of potential energy I believe, maybe better since I was in school), so there is lots of room for some technological improvement.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I live in Silicon Valley :) There are a surprisingly large number of electric car related companies here. Tesla would be the obvious one, but there are a large number of small companies working on new technologies that will go into these sort of cars in the future. I have two friends that work at two companies and I recently did some consulting work for another one. Kinda cool. I don't think too many people around the world get to see as many Teslas just driving around on a regular basis as here, since they are just a few miles up the highway from where I live.

Yes, we are primarilly oil or coal burning to provide electricity, so no, electric cars aren't totally solving the problem. I just watched a show that said they are developing what amount to massive building size batteries that can store the energy produced by resource burning plants to handle peak loads so that they can reduce the amount of resources burned. Kind of like how an amplifier stores energy in a capacitor for peak output times. A simple idea that it seem so obvious that it should have been done before.

All the companies are jumping on the bandwagon because it is the next technology.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Coal produced electricity has significantly less pollution than your regular gas car engine - they a bit more effective over the years, but still lag years behind the efficiency which is possible to achieve at coal burning power station.

So yea - even with coal burning electrical cars still pollutes less than regular internal combustion engine.

That said - Still not ideal solution.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Coal produced electricity has significantly less pollution than your regular gas car engine - they a bit more effective over the years, but still lag years behind the efficiency which is possible to achieve at coal burning power station.

So yea - even with coal burning electrical cars still pollutes less than regular internal combustion engine.

Obviously the problem is not one solved in a day or with a silver bullet, but we can certainly make improvements. Since cars have become a luxury item I think paying a premium for an electric vehicle isn't a major problem for most folks. I honestly would love to see the Volt get down to the 20k range, but I realize that could be a few years. Still the hybrid seems the right way to go.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

The problem with them is not that they aren't clean enough it is that they basically have to run them 24/7. With cars, you get peaks during traffic hours for example, but other times those levels drop significantly. Car emissions are also now much lower than they were.

I went to a cool car show over the weekend: Hybrids to Hot Rods. About half the cars there were zero emission vehicles.

Zero electric motor cycles:

BUG

Saba

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nope, haven't seen that one before. But I've seen this one in person. Their office is right up the street from my work.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis