Educating the Ignorant

G

GettinDegreez

Junior Audioholic
I've just about given up trying to explain to my friends about good audio and video. I don't know how to do it. I have so much knowledge I've acquired about audio and video from my reading that I can't speak a language they can understand. I say words like hertz, frequency response, decibel levels, contrast ratio, resolution, etc. and they just blow it off as some marketing crap I've read online that is not distinguishable to the human ear/eye. All they have to base what they think is great is a 32" Westinghouse 720p LCD, and a Bose Acoustimass surround sound(granted they got it free which makes it even harder to argue that Bose sucks/is overpriced). They think that's good enough for them and you can't tell a drastic difference unless you spend $50,000 on a complete setup

They don't believe there is a difference between LCD, Plasma, DLP, CRT, etc when it comes to picture quality. They think 1080p resolution is useless on sets smaller than 65" even though I'm convinced you can tell the difference on my 20 inch computer monitor.

I try and tell them that MP3s don't sound near as good as CDs and I try to explain about how the MP3 compression process removes musical data above 14-16kHz but they say that doesn't matter, that when you hear music there is no process going on in your head like that of a frequency response chart. Next they ask me to tell the difference using laptop speakers which everyone know won't work, and the speakers are facing the other direction at that. They also think that all speakers will sound the same regardless of the source. I don't even want to begin explaining Theile/Small parameters that affect speakers sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to break it down to them, or should I just sit back and smile at their ignorance and know I'm experiencing better. I would like to convert them, but it's kinda hard.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Have you heard of the "Scared Straight" teachings? Try those. :D

SheepStar

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have come to expect that most of my freinds and family will glaze over when I say "crossover", I have found that even though thay may not care that there is a defrence between KLH and RBH, when presented with good sound, thay do like it. and if exposed to good sound long enough, thay will prefer it.
case in point; one of my sisters freinds requseted to watch 'Phantom of the Opera' at my house, because of my set-up.
but on reflection, my freinds seem a bit diffrent than yours, I'm often consulted with matters of audio, video and electronics in general (not that thay allways listen ;) ).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Now I want to watch "Phantom of the Opera", darn it.:D

I agree it is hard to explain these things to people. I believe it is pretty easy to sway people away from Bose though, at least I have found it easy.:)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
GettinDegreez said:
I've just about given up trying to explain to my friends about good audio and video. I don't know how to do it. I have so much knowledge I've acquired about audio and video from my reading that I can't speak a language they can understand. I say words like hertz, frequency response, decibel levels, contrast ratio, resolution, etc. and they just blow it off as some marketing crap I've read online that is not distinguishable to the human ear/eye. All they have to base what they think is great is a 32" Westinghouse 720p LCD, and a Bose Acoustimass surround sound(granted they got it free which makes it even harder to argue that Bose sucks/is overpriced). They think that's good enough for them and you can't tell a drastic difference unless you spend $50,000 on a complete setup

They don't believe there is a difference between LCD, Plasma, DLP, CRT, etc when it comes to picture quality. They think 1080p resolution is useless on sets smaller than 65" even though I'm convinced you can tell the difference on my 20 inch computer monitor.

I try and tell them that MP3s don't sound near as good as CDs and I try to explain about how the MP3 compression process removes musical data above 14-16kHz but they say that doesn't matter, that when you hear music there is no process going on in your head like that of a frequency response chart. Next they ask me to tell the difference using laptop speakers which everyone know won't work, and the speakers are facing the other direction at that. They also think that all speakers will sound the same regardless of the source. I don't even want to begin explaining Theile/Small parameters that affect speakers sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to break it down to them, or should I just sit back and smile at their ignorance and know I'm experiencing better. I would like to convert them, but it's kinda hard.

Don't bother unless they request help in something. Why get so upset?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
mtrycrafts said:
Don't bother unless they request help in something. Why get so upset?
Agreed. An old friend of mine who is a musician (plays bass and guitar but not yet successful in the music industry) shares my love of music but when the topic turned to audio equipment, he offered the opinion that 'tube amps sound better than solid state amps'. I just said that tube amps change the sound in ways that many find pleasing but are not necessarily accurate to the input signal. Enough said and we agreed that it's personal preference and some people prefer one type of amp over another. No sense getting into a heated argument with a friend I've known since I was a teenager.

F

f0am

Audioholic
What we do and enjoy so much, is almost a art.
People can't understand the difference between a Bose stereo and a true A/V setup if they are not truly passionate about it.

D

davo

Full Audioholic
What really pains me is my brother , who doesn't care about the differences between SD and HD set top boxes. I've learned to not talk about it, and comfort myself that at least I appreciate the difference.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
davo said:
What really pains me is my brother , who doesn't care about the differences between SD and HD set top boxes. I've learned to not talk about it, and comfort myself that at least I appreciate the difference.
Amen to that:) .

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
You all know this: You can bring the horse to the water, but........

If your advise is not appreciated, don't offer it. Also, (very important) don't be condescending for their flippant attitude towards A/V, not everyone shares the passion.:)

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I generally shy away from trying to convince people. If they want to really know, they will ask. Otherwise, don't use terms - use concepts such as

Term - The crossover is set for 85hz for optimal sound reproduction

Concept - Different sounds are sent to differnt speakers based on what they are best capable of producing.

Otherwise, just show them your system :D

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
GettinDegreez said:
I've just about given up trying to explain to my friends about good audio and video. I don't know how to do it. I have so much knowledge I've acquired about audio and video from my reading that I can't speak a language they can understand..
You're boring the livin daylights outta them. Why do you believe you have to "convert" them???

One: You don't know how to do it because you are trying to. You're eventually gonna make em avoid you at all cost.

Two: Why do you believe that reading and remembering is knowledge? Regardless of how much you read, there will always be someone waaaay above you.

Three: Yes, you are speaking a language they do not understand.

GettinDegreez said:
Forget about "converting" them. If they were interested in learning about audio, they can read, and would have done so. If they are interested in buying what you want to sell, they'll ask.

Don't smile at their ignorance, as there is a possibility that you are not as good as you think..

Be a friend instead....one who will patiently answer simple questions in a simple manner without being demeaning.

While it indeed difficult, I somehow manage to refrain from teaching Maxwell's equations (differential form of course) to the cabdrivers in Manhattan..

Cheers, John

G

GettinDegreez

Junior Audioholic
The thing is they are both engineers, one chemical and textiles, and the other mechanical, so you figure they could understand some of what I'm talking about. They find it easy to discount my knowledge as marketing junk seeing as how I don't have my PhD and therefore my opinion doesn't technically matter to anyone.

Whenever they ask if their Bose system sounds good, all I can consciously say is yeah it's the best system you can get, for free.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
But you leave out one critical pirece of the equation.

GettinDegreez said:
The thing is they are both engineers, one chemical and textiles, and the other mechanical, so you figure they could understand some of what I'm talking about.
They don't care. They are perfectly happy with what they have got. Can't you learn to accept them for what they are? Keep on playing the snobby audiophile and, like Amway and insurance salesmen, you're gonna lose a couple of friends.

How would you feel if someone tried to talk you into dumping your girlfriend because they don't think she's pretty enough? Isn't that your choice and not theirs?

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Actually...

...who really gives a r@ts @$$ about your opinion? That's all it is...anecdotal and condescending. How do you know what you believe isn't completely flawed or at the very least biased in ways you probably can't imagine?

After all, the multiple mono mixdown you listen to isn't really "stereo" and the thrilling life-like HT experience is, for the most part, nothing but some laser-totin' mechanical lizards, most of which never saw the light of day...just the result of some x-y coordinates manipulated by an algorithm or three, telling a pixel what it will be...

Since they don't sweat the small stuff, they're probably 'way more satisifed with their gear than most jargon-spewing "audiophool" ever will be...

jimHJJ(...just listen to the music and watch the silly pictures...)

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Didn't he

jneutron said:
While it indeed difficult, I somehow manage to refrain from teaching Maxwell's equations (differential form of course) to the cabdrivers in Manhattan..

Cheers, John
...have a house and make coffee that was good to the last drop? Or was it a silver hammer?

jimHJJ(...I hate it when people constantly tell me how sheep's bladders can be used to predict earthquakes...)

P.S. Did you happen to catch the photos of the CERN Large Hadron Collider in the Sunday Times mag a few weeks back?...reminded me I never wished you a Happy New Year...

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Resident Loser said:
...who really gives a r@ts @$$ about your opinion? That's all it is...anecdotal and condescending. How do you know what you believe isn't completely flawed or at the very least biased in ways you probably can't imagine?

After all, the multiple mono mixdown you listen to isn't really "stereo" and the thrilling life-like HT experience is, for the most part, nothing but some laser-totin' mechanical lizards, most of which never saw the light of day...just the result of some x-y coordinates manipulated by an algorithm or three, telling a pixel what it will be...

Since they don't sweat the small stuff, they're probably 'way more satisifed with their gear than most jargon-spewing "audiophool" ever will be...

jimHJJ(...just listen to the music and watch the silly pictures...)
Hmmm, "laser-totin' mechanical lizards" Hey Res, you think they can take care of my competition over at the office? (GEICO)

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Resident Loser said:
...have a house and make coffee that was good to the last drop? Or was it a silver hammer?...
The silver hammer guy..and I bet he never left it dangling from the top of the extension ladder..:p

Resident Loser said:
P.S. Did you happen to catch the photos of the CERN Large Hadron Collider in the Sunday Times mag a few weeks back?...reminded me I never wished you a Happy New Year...
Quite honestly, once you've seen a coupla 55 thousand pound superconductin magnets made for that project, they all tend ta look alike..ya know, big tube thingy's with pipes and wires, painted the LHC "blue"..and da tunnels all look like tunnels..the first one is a "gee whiz", maybe the second..but by the tenth one, dey get kinda ho-hum.

(actually, I wuz up nord, doin da black diamonds with my kids..so I missed it:( )

Happy new year..

Cheers, John

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

davo said:

Hey, it's like a preference for certain wines:D I like sweet wines only, hence I stopped taking wine to friend's houses and give their dry wine away or cook with it:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

jneutron said:
(actually, I wuz up nord, doin da black diamonds with my kids..so I missed it:( )

Happy new year..

Cheers, John
Ah, so you are a good skier? :D Or, you just told them meet you at the bottom? LOL :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis