earthquake cinenova amps

R

Rich0372

Enthusiast
Does anyone have or heard these amps there ratings are very impressive I can get an amazing deal on them do they match well with Klipsch thanx Rich

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Rich0372 said:
Does anyone have or heard these amps there ratings are very impressive I can get an amazing deal on them do they match well with Klipsch thanx Rich
well, an amp shouldnt have to match a speaker, it should just amplify the signal and not color it at all. Klipsch dont have to be pushed with a lot of power b/c of their high sensitivity ratings so you may not need the amps.

R

Rich0372

Enthusiast
I know but the deal I can get is too good to pass up $3100 for a 5 & 3 channel from an authorized dealer with warranty :D they retail for $8000 combined also they liked my Rotel rb1080 200x2 Someday I might get that nasty upgrade bug and change my speakers Rich

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Well, get em then, if ya dont like em dont use em, if its that good of a deal, you could probably sell them

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I dunno, their website is kinda shady. They seem to have good specs, but my gut is telling me to look for something else. Just my opinion though.

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
I own a Cinenova Grande 5. I use it to drive the center and 4 sorround channels. I used it to bi-amp axiom M80s for about 6 months. These amplifiers deliver their posted specs. They have been bench tested by respected audio industry experts, (Richard Hardesty and "Secrets" come immediately to mind). They double their output into 4 ohms (600 w) using standard measurement parameters w/o audible distortion. I can't recall however if I have seen an "all channels driven" spec. In my setup, the axioms were overmatched, and their tendency to ringing was revealed. I have also compared the cinenova to Mark Levinson 336 with similar specs, driving Legacy Focus 20/20s, and the cinenova was edgier, with less bass definition, but the Levinson is a much more expensive, 150 lbs, 2 Channel beast, so it had better sound better. IMO, their is no better HT amplifier bargain.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rich0372 said:
I know but the deal I can get is too good to pass up $3100 for a 5 & 3 channel from an authorized dealer with warranty :D they retail for $8000 combined also they liked my Rotel rb1080 200x2 Someday I might get that nasty upgrade bug and change my speakers Rich

what's wrong with the Rotel? You need more channels? Maybe another used Rotel will do you.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Since the Klipsh are quite efficient, I might opt for something less expensive in an amp. Though, if you do intend to replace your speakers at some point then you can be sure the Cinenova will drive whatever you throw at them.

They just had a review of the 7ch Cinenova Grande in August's Home Theater magazine, and I remember that the 5ch got some of their highest ratings ever back when it was by reviewed by them in June 2000. Not that I put much stock in HT's ratings, but it's good to know.

I found the older review here

Last edited:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
If space isn't an isuue (judging by the size of those it isn't), why not go with (4) mackie 1400i or 2600i amplifiers. You will save some cash and have equal or better quality amps plus a little more power for future upgrades.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
hopjohn said:
I found the older review here
After briefing through that review. It pegs the value meter.
So the new ones you are looking at should only be technology better.
My opinion would be to snag them at a good price. After a few years of use you could sell them for almost what you paid for them.....

I

indcrimdefense

Audioholic
Rich,

I have never heard that particular amp. However I have a demo Cary Cinema 5 (200 x 5) & a Rotel 1080 amp at home now for demo purposes. My speakers are Klipsch RF-7 & RF-5. Have had the Cary for weeks now & have only had the Rotel since Fri., but have had long listening sessions on Fri & yesterday. Also have swapped between different components for input on the rotel amp (Cary Cinema 6 pre/pro, Denon 2805 & Rotel RC-1070) & a Denon 2910 DVD & Rotel RCD 1072. Following caveat - the Rotel appears fairly fresh out of the box when I received it, and may not be broke in. If I read correctly, you have a 1080 so any guidance you might offer on it's breakin period would be appreciated. Unfortunately, my demo time with the Rotel components ends Tuesday evening, so if amp is not broke in now will be little time for that to occur between now & Tues.

The difference between the Cary amp & Rotel amp is immediately apparent, regardless of components or source material, with the exception of certain classical music. Difficult to discern a difference w/ Dvorak's New World Symphony between the 2 amps. However, add vocals, and the difference is night & day. The Cary does a much better job with vocals, both male & female. The Rotel is also more forward, bordering on bright, to outright sharp with some cd's. The brightest was Rotel RC 1070, RCD 1072 & 1080 combo, to the point that listening at my normal level was uncomfortable. Not as bright with the Denon 2805 & 2910, and even less bright with the Cary Cinema 6 & 2910 or the Rotel CD player. The Cary amp is not bright or forward, precise & detailed, and exceptional with vocals.

Obviously, still in the process of tinkering, & seeing what sounds best hooked to what. My best advice when thinking about buying an amp is to demo it first with your components & speakers. I am still hopeful that I can find a combo where the Rotel amp shines, as the price is substantially less than the Cary. (If I purchase a Rotel amp will be the RMB-1095, but no one has a demo currently).

Has anyone heard a direct comparison between the Rotel 1080 & 1090 in the same system? Curious to know what the sound differences are between the 1080 at 2x200 & the 1090 at 2x380.

R

Rich0372

Enthusiast
thanks for the replies well I ordered them at this price even if I don't like them i can sell them and get my money back at least. as far as the Rotel it sounds awesome but it's only a 2 channel and wanted to get a pre-pro to replace my receiver

G

Gregavi

Audiophyte
I own the Cinenova 5 Ch. Believe me, you will not be disappointed. This is the best amp, for the money, on the market today, IMO

eddiem67

eddiem67

Audioholic
I own the same one, but might upgrade to the cinenova 7 so I can bi-wire my rears. So in case anyone is interested, mint condition Cinenova Grande 5 on the market. Warranty still valid.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis