DVI Gear HDMI Cable

majorloser

majorloser

Well, to start this off I was one of the March 2006 Audioholics winners of a 7.5 meter "DVI Gear" Super High Resolution (SHR) HDMI cable. :D :D

I received the cable today, April 12th. THAT'S FREAKIN' FAST SHIPPING FOR SOMETHING I WON :)

The first thing you notice is the shear diameter of the cable. IT'S HUGE :eek: Must be about 1/2" across (12mm).

The cable states right on it that it is 22AWG, triple shielded, AWM20276 and UL type CL2. That's a heavy duty cable! The connectors are gold plated and the plugs are heavy bonded (molded), not loosely attached.

According to DVI Gear's web site, the cable is rated for 1080p and PC resolutions up to 1920x1200 / 60Hz. Also, single link bit rates up to 1.65 Gbit/sec. In other words, ready for the future!

My next project will be to pull all my cables out of the 2" conduit running to the projector to pull this BEAST through (wish I would have run a 2 1/2" conduit :( ). Let's just say that conduit is PACKED!!! RGB component, HDMI, composite and S-video. The RGB component cable is an Anaconda, over 3/4" diameter with BNC ends. Needless to say, everything comes out before anything goes in. Granted, the nice thing about DVI Gear's cable is that the UL CL2 rating would allow me to run it without conduit if I wanted.

All I can say is, if you guys want a QUALITY cable that will last a lifetime and is designed for the future,
THIS IS THE ONE. Look no further.

Of course, you know this means I'm forced to spend more money now :p Now I can get that new HDMI upconverting DVD player I've been wanting. And that means I absolutely HAVE to buy an HDMI switcher..............and you all know where I'm going to buy that................DVI Gear, of course! (Clint, can you hide that from loserwife?;) )

NOTE TO DVI Gear: You should show a picture of the cable with a penny or something next to it for scale. And show the markings on the cable. Let people know that these thing are Mofo cables that shouldn't be taken lightly. Oh, and you guys rock!

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
"Now I can get that new HDMI upconverting DVD player I've been wanting..."

That upconverting DVD player will never match the Picture Quality of an HD DVD player (34 Mbps Video bitrate) or the Sony BR (40 Mbps Video bitrate).

I recently saw a demonstration of the Toshiba HD-DVD player and the picture is better than broadcasted HD (maximum I get is 18.267 Mbps bitrate).

The extra you would pay to get the HD-A1 player, over the upconverting, will be worth it because it will be just a matter of time before you get rid of the upconverting player.

I myself invested recently (this year) in a 5 disc DVD player and know that as soon as I see DVD concerts coming out in HD DVD or BR, I will need to change.

majorloser

majorloser

When the local Blockbuster carries a good selection HD-DVD or Blueray discs, I may think about it. What's the hurry? I have a decent collection of DVD's now and no plans on starting a new collection any time soon. I've had a 5 disc changer for a few years and it's just fine. My projector is only 720p native and I have no desire to change it in the near future either.

Besides, a good upconverting DVD player is only about $250 or less.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
For your information, the Toshiba HDTVs used in Montreal for the HD DVD demos were:

- 37" LCD
- 50" Plasma

both displaying the 1080i data in 720p. And the Video was extremely good. These players can playback your present DVDs and can upconvert the 480i data in 720p.

So, for an extra $250, you would be equipped for years to come.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you think the new HD players will upconvert ordinary DVD's?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis